Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know how many of you listen to the Energy Transition Show podcast by Chris Nelder. It unfortunately is subscription but it has a free abridged version. This episode argues that exponential cost declines for renewables will ultimately displace fossil fuels regardless of policy effects. It provides a compelling argument that the transition to renewables is inevitable, it is the lowest cost option, and would happen even in the absence of a climate change motivation. I am heartened by this episode and a previous one with Kingsmill Bond of Carbon Tracker. Pretty much validates @thetalkingmule’s strategy of shorting CVX and is great reinforcement for our TSLA and other renewable investments.
I agree. Only question is how fast? Studies say faster is better. Slow does a lot of damage.

Reactions: jhm
A likely scenario that incorporates positive price feedback loops with 'conservative' assumptions gets to net zero global carbon emissions within 25 years, says economist and complex systems modeler Matthew Ives. Gets us to the 1.5 degree C Paris goal without any carbon capture or sequestration and does not require a massive change in human behavior, like widespread veganism or degrowth asceticism. But that might involve a long-dated oil put!

I don’t know how many of you listen to the Energy Transition Show podcast by Chris Nelder. It unfortunately is subscription but it has a free abridged version. This episode argues that exponential cost declines for renewables will ultimately displace fossil fuels regardless of policy effects. It provides a compelling argument that the transition to renewables is inevitable, it is the lowest cost option, and would happen even in the absence of a climate change motivation. I am heartened by this episode and a previous one with Kingsmill Bond of Carbon Tracker. Pretty much validates @thetalkingmule’s strategy of shorting CVX and is great reinforcement for our TSLA and other renewable investments.
Thanks! This all sounds very familiar. So much of our critique of traditional energy models and the like has been their failure to model experience curves. So it is gratifying to see academic work in this direction. Generally speaking experience curves should be taken seriously by any economic based research.

It's novel to build out a volume forecast on exponential growth rates then back into a probability distribution on costs. But experience curves really are modeling the co-evolution of both price and volume. Both are mutually reinforcing. That is, lower prices drive up cumulative production just as cumulative production provides the learning and scaling opportunities that drive down prices. In the time domain exponential or logistic (S-curve) growth are natural outcomes of this self-reinforcing process.

It is also worth remembering that these researchers found that 5 years of tech growth and pricing data was enough to get reasonable estimates of the learning rate and growth rates for longer-term forecasts. Moreover, historical trend is the strongest basis for prediction. This is why at the outset of this thread many years ago we were able to use the observable trends to make predictions that still hold up. Critics of this "naive" approached are often rebuff with concerns about whether and how trends will hold up. Sure, there can be bumps in the road but learning rates tend to be pretty persistent and declining costs create powerful motivation for continued expansion.

So finally, these researchers conclude that decarbonization will happen in about 25 years and will save the global economy some $14T in energy cost. How do we know this will overcome political and social resistance? Well, saving some $14T is a powerful motivator. Lower prices are pretty irresistible.

While this is a pretty good lesson for energy transition modelers. I donthink that one of the best ways to benefit from Wright's law is to use as an investment tool. ARK Invest is one of the few invest research groups that deploys learning curve analysis to investments. For example, they anticipate that Tesla's auto manufacturing costs for the whole car (not just the battery) follow Wright's law. This is a big part of why Tesla is able to sustain a high annual growth rate in units and revenue. And it also helps to explain the durable lead that Tesla has on the competition and gains in market share. As an investor, you definitely want to focus on businesses that have a high learning rate along with huge addressable markets. Indeed the basic handicap that Tesla shorts have is that the tend not to understand or believe in learning curve effects, so they wind up betting against Wright's law.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Fossil capital should take notice. New forms of resistance are coming. Parts of the earth are becoming unliveable. Facts like that, however, are in no real need of repetition. By now everyone knows, at some level of their consciousness, what is at stake. And still our governments allow fossil fuel companies to expand their installations for taking oil and gas and coal out of the ground. They cannot even bring themselves to stop showering such companies with trillions of dollars of subsidies.

Overall, the production of fossil fuels needs to be brought down to zero as fast as humanely possible, but in the real world, producers are planning to increase extraction as if there is no tomorrow. One recent paper shows that the bulk of all known reserves must be left in the ground for there to be at least a slim chance of avoiding more than 1.5C degrees of warming; to be more exact, by 2050, some 90% of all the coal would have to remain untouched, 60% of the oil, 60% of the gas, 99% of the unconventional oil.

We are deep into the catastrophe; the hour is late, but the escalation has only just begun. We don’t know what exactly will work. The one thing we can be certain of is this: we are in a death spiral, we have to break out of it, and we must try something more. The days of gentle protest may be long over.

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore

This is very cool. FuelPositive is building out a shipping container of equipment for producing green ammonia. At 46CAD/MWh it produces ammonia at a cost of 560 CAD or 443 USD per tonne. This is about 40% cheaper than gray ammonia, which emits 4 tonnes of CO2 per tonne of ammonia to produce.

The market for ammonia is about 235 million tonnes per year (Mtpa). This is about 1 Gt of CO2 emissions per year, which is pretty significant. Moreover, the global food supply depends on it. We can debate whether it makes sense to use ammonia as a fuel, but at least ammonia for agriculture is pretty non-negotiable. We need the green stuff.

It is estimated that it will be cheaper for Europe to import green ammonia than to produce gray ammonia locally. But actually so long as a region has sufficient renewable energy it makes more sense to produce green ammonia locally, especially as import cost is about 50% of product cost.

The hydrogen ammonia synthesizer stack includes an anion-exchange membrane (AEM) electrolyzer from Enapter that does not require water to be purified first, and may even be modifiable to run on seawater. It would be good to see commercial demand grow for such electrolyzers.

This is very cool. FuelPositive is building out a shipping container of equipment for producing green ammonia. At 46CAD/MWh it produces ammonia at a cost of 560 CAD or 443 USD per tonne. This is about 40% cheaper than gray ammonia, which emits 4 tonnes of CO2 per tonne of ammonia to produce.

The market for ammonia is about 235 million tonnes per year (Mtpa). This is about 1 Gt of CO2 emissions per year, which is pretty significant. Moreover, the global food supply depends on it. We can debate whether it makes sense to use ammonia as a fuel, but at least ammonia for agriculture is pretty non-negotiable. We need the green stuff.

It is estimated that it will be cheaper for Europe to import green ammonia than to produce gray ammonia locally. But actually so long as a region has sufficient renewable energy it makes more sense to produce green ammonia locally, especially as import cost is about 50% of product cost.

The hydrogen ammonia synthesizer stack includes an anion-exchange membrane (AEM) electrolyzer from Enapter that does not require water to be purified first, and may even be modifiable to run on seawater. It would be good to see commercial demand grow for such electrolyzers.
The technology sounds promising. Have you thought about FuelPositive as an investment?

The technology sounds promising. Have you thought about FuelPositive as an investment?
I'm on the lookout for hydrogen investments, but I have not yet investigated the opportunity here. In concept it sounds like a reasonable business model. If they really can beat gray ammonia on cost already, then most of the risk is just scale up and execution. I like the plug-n-play shipping container concept. With finance partners, they could lease out to clients, which becomes low capital, low cost and low risk for customers. The lessee either saves money on ammonia or the container can be relocated to a better location. Of course, it is great if customer just buy the rig outright, but that could be a harder sell. So it's nice that there are options for financing and residual value.

Let me know if any of you investigate this or similar companies.

Co-location of wind, battery and electrolyzer for production of hydrogen. Features potential to produce hydrogen in "Island mode". I'm not sure how this is more advantages that being grid connected and helping to firm up the grid. One application of "Island mode" is literally to have an offshore Island. Presumably there are offshore location where running cables back to main grids is cost prohibitive. But this sounds dubious to me. How exactly is it cheaper to transport Island hydrogen back to the main land than simply running cables to transmit power? I'm having trouble seeing a realistic application here.

Maybe in the extreme, you have an Island in the middle of an ocean that refuels ships traversing the ocean. But with such an operation, you'd need storage, docking and refueling infrastructure. You'd probably would even need housing for workers. And of course, you'd need a fleet of hydrogen powered ships that have insufficient tanks to traverse the ocean (or maybe you have hydrogen much cheaper than at near shore harbor). So this application depends upon pretty massive scale of development. If we already had a large fleet of hydrogen powered ships doing shorter, near shore voyages, then perhaps a refueling Island could extend the reach of that fleet.

Anybody have better ideas for what you'd do in Island mode that makes more sense than being grid connected?

I'm glad to see seimens working on this in any case. Optimizing the integration of batteries and electrolyzers with wind or solar is very important.
I think you are misunderstanding what they mean by "island mode" in the context they are using it. In this context it means "islanded" from the surrounding grid, i.e. disconnected electrically with the turbine just (electrically) connected to the electrolyser. This is an important technical risk-reduction / risk-demonstration milestone as it shows that these turbines (which were designed as grid-connected / grid-coupled turbines) can operate in a stand-alone mode (which they were not really designed for). Yet if you think about the use-case when the grid has saturated and these turbines would be called upon to switch over to electrolysis, that is - in essence - a stand-alone mode, decoupled from the grid and operating "islanded".

Personally I think this is not the best pathway, and not the most likely pathway. But Siemens et al are happy to take the big $$$ from the German government. The German government is in turn trying to keep the German petro-chem and steel and related industries viable through the next 30-years of transition. It is interesting to watch.

(The whole business of energy 'islands' in the Baltic and North Sea is a different one. Those will be grid-coupled islands, indeed that is their whole point. However there may be occasions on which they operate in an electrically "islanded" mode, and when they do the Siemens work will be relevant. And those physicals island may also have some electrolysers on them, but that remains to be seen - depends on pipeline ecnomics. All imho).

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12

This is interesting. Gray hydrogen (from NG no CCS) has become more expensive to produce in the UK than green hydrogen (via electrolysis from renewable power). The issue is, while the price of gas (marginally LNG imports) has gone up in response to global shortages, green hydrogen in the UK gets power under PPA for RE. So while under average conditions, green may be more expensive than gray, there is very little variability in operating cost.

Arguably this is a problem for any gray hydrogen producer in a region that is a net importer of NG and specifically is a marginal importer of LNG. That is, the price of gas will largely be driven by the cost of marginal LNG (spot market, not contract). This means that the marginal price for gray hydrogen will also be driven by the global spot price for LNG.

As I have argued before, a huge chunk of the global economy wants to use LNG as a backup fuel, but the capacity of the LNG is not up to this Altas size task. The result is that every time Asia and/or Europe is caught underprepared for a cold winter, the price of LNG will skyrocket. Thus, gray producers could be in a position where they could be priced out of the hydrogen a quarter or two on any given year. This is tolerable for gray producers so long as SMR is the only game in town, and if the gray producer is also a natural gas producer making a killing off high LNG prices regardless the hydrogen production.

However, as green hydrogen scales up and the average RE PPA comes down, LNG price volatility erodes the competitiveness of gray producers. Moreover, as CCS adds about a $0.5 to $1.5 of cost per kg of hydrogen to gray, the economics for blue hydrogen is always worse than gray.

This is causing me to rethink my outlook on using electrolyzers to balance the grid. There is an important distinction to be made around the power that an electrolyzer consumes. Shall it consume grid power whenever the spot price is low or as available under a PPA? I'm a big believer in marginal efficiency. I could argue that the former is the more economically efficient approach and will likely win out in the long run. However, at this stage of development, the PPA has certain competitive advantages. Forget the noble objectives of seasonally balancing the grid. That should not worry you as a green hydrogen producer. Rather you've got to get capital lined up to prove and scale up your industry. PPAs lock in price certainty for both RE generators and green hydrogen producers. This contractual certainty decreases the cost of capital for both parties. That's a critical issue when you're marginal choice is to build out a new green hydrogen plant or a new wind farm. The volatility of power prices and how electrolyzers can exploit this volatility with inherent optionality is really a lower priority issue at this stage of development. RE penetration of a grid may need to exceed 80% or so before this optionality becomes a primary issue. So while RE pentration is low, the capital assurances of a PPA helps to scale up both RE and electrolyzers.

So how does PPA financed green hydrogen compete with gray? Specifically, it may want to exploit the value of the PPA as much as possible. Green hydrogen can realize higher profitability selling hydrogen at spot prices when the price of LNG is high. So the green producer may want to have some exposure to the spot market and not contract away all their product. This runs a little contrary to the objective of keeping the cost of capital low. So this stage of development may still be further down the road. But when green hydrogen is ready to flex just a bit, it can gain exposure to seasonal and episodic high LNG prices. At first green capacity is too limited to make much of an impact on spot prices. So the next stage of development is to have the scale to take market share from gray hydrogen whenever the price of LNG is elevated. When this happens the gray producers will find that they are seasonally unprofitable. This will devalue their capital that was built on assumptions around constant volume production. Utilization of gray capacity will vary through the year. Essentially, gray becomes marginal consumer of marginal LNG. They will be forced into doing seasonal balancing for the gas industry. This drives up the cost of any new gray or blue capacity. Eventually gray hydrogen production hits a structural peak and declines thereafter.

Early post-peak SMR capacity is used to do seasonal and episodic balancing of region gas supplies. As that happens it will make even more economic sense for electrolyzers to play a complementary role balancing power grids. For example, right now some people balk at the idea that electrolyzers will operate at a 50% CF, and indeed the economics look less favorable against gray hydrogen while SRM reactor operates at near 100% CF. But when gray hydrogen becomes a swing producer operating their hardware on 50% of the year, it will become abundantly clear that using electrolyzers at just 50% CF to do seasonal balancing on the grid is enormously valuable.

So I think my long-term vision is still intact. Rather the path to getting there may progress few several stages. In the near term, priorities are to keep cost of capital low for both RE and electrolyzers while initial scale up obtains experience curve reductions green hydrogen. It is encouraging at this point to know that the economics of gray hydrogen are not unassailable. The volatility of LNG and difficulty using it as a universal energy backup to the global economy is a major strategic weakness of gray hydrogen. It think we have reason to believe that green hydrogen can replace gray on economic competition alone. Even so, given the urgency of climate change, a little policy support could help speed up the inevitable.
I suspect that if you calculate the amount of time that there is an excess of renewable energy (wind/solar) and calculate the amount of time that this coincides with there being available storage capacity (ullage) in the hydrogen storage infrastructure, and calculate the consequential utilisation of the electrolysis and hydrogen infrastructure you will raise an eyebrow. If you then think about the amount of renewables required in that scenario and consider the amount of time for which there is unmet demand (i.e. an intermittency gap) you will likely find that there is remarkably little of an intermittency gap. Then do the economics on filling that gap in $/GWh from hydrogen vs just buying some more batteries and .......... batteries will be cheaper.

i.e. by the time that there is that much excess renewables generation, there is also almost no intermittency gap that hydrogen might fill.

Cynical moi re this hydrogen stuff.

• Helpful
My concern about island mode (disconnection from grid) or surplus RE only is that neither are capital efficient. What is capital efficient is running the electrolyzer whenever power prices are marginally profitable. Grid connection is essential to tap this optionality. Moreover it is nonsense to wait for grid power prices to drop to zero, when RE gets curtailed. Power at $10/MWh is a bargain for electrolyzers.

• Informative
Ironically I think the most recent covid surge and a few lockdowns may end up being a big help to WTI crude pricing.

Major tankage today with WTI down 13% on strategy reserve releases and covid shutdowns, but I think that's very temporary. Had the status quo kept rolling, I think refineries catch their stride and things revert to something more efficient than the recent chaos. It's that covid-related refinery chaos is what's letting Wall Street bid up crude pricing to the stratosphere, not the fake supply tightening.

Now the chaos continues. Maybe we dip to $60, but soon enough they'll fine enough headlines to print and push us back on their path to $100.

Either that or we're about to spiral to $20. 😉

• Helpful

While we're kicking Robert Reich around for being an anti-Musk troll, it is worth noting that he is complaining here about the oil industry not expanding supply fast enough.

It think this betraying just how little Reich and his ilk care about fighting climate change. They may give lipservice to green stuff, but fundamentally they want cheap gas and lots more of it.

If he were a real economist he'd recognize that RE is an alternative that does in fact increase the supply of energy for transportation. Every BEV sold is as good as increasing the supply of diesel and gasoline.

This is a nice introduction to a new electrolytic process that produces ammonia directly and is 69% efficient, up from 60% for the best electrolytic alternative path to ammonia. It uses lithium! Lithium ions readily combine nitrogen to form lithium hydride (Li3N). The researcher found a catalyst that enables electrolysis to swap hydrogen for the lithium making ammonia (NH3). In the process, the lithium ions are released and may recombine with more nitrogen to continue the process.

The video is good to watch. It seem quite elegant that nitrogen can be used as a carrier from lithium to hydrogen. I'm left wondering if this can be reversed so to release the electrons from the ammonia going back to lithium nitride. This would be an ammonia lithium fuel cell or possibly even an ammonia lithium battery. As a battery the round-trip efficiency would likely be less than 69% but it could be more efficient and lower cost that round trip with hydrogen fuel cell and hydrogen electrolysis, around 50%. This would be great for long duration batteries, ships or planes. However, even if an efficient ammonia lithium fuel cell is not obtainable, it's super good just to be able to produce green ammonia with higher efficiency, since about 1.6% of current GHG emissions are in pursuit of gray ammonia.

This is a nice introduction to a new electrolytic process that produces ammonia directly and is 69% efficient, up from 60% for the best electrolytic alternative path to ammonia. It uses lithium! Lithium ions readily combine nitrogen to form lithium hydride (Li3N). The researcher found a catalyst that enables electrolysis to swap hydrogen for the lithium making ammonia (NH3). In the process, the lithium ions are released and may recombine with more nitrogen to continue the process.

The video is good to watch. It seem quite elegant that nitrogen can be used as a carrier from lithium to hydrogen. I'm left wondering if this can be reversed so to release the electrons from the ammonia going back to lithium nitride. This would be an ammonia lithium fuel cell or possibly even an ammonia lithium battery. As a battery the round-trip efficiency would likely be less than 69% but it could be more efficient and lower cost that round trip with hydrogen fuel cell and hydrogen electrolysis, around 50%. This would be great for long duration batteries, ships or planes. However, even if an efficient ammonia lithium fuel cell is not obtainable, it's super good just to be able to produce green ammonia with higher efficiency, since about 1.6% of current GHG emissions are in pursuit of gray ammonia.
Am I understanding you correct (haven't yet followed the link) - there's a path to a fuel cell that would use ammonia to produce electricity instead of hydrogen? If that's affordable and otherwise reasonable that solves the main problem I see with fuel cells - the need to carry hydrogen around. I don't mind hydrogen in static and industrial uses - but hydrogen being used as a fuel on the road, or otherwise in mobile or widespread applications (fueling stations are mostly what I'm thinking of here), where equipment will get old / need maintenance, that leaves me .. really unexcited.

Hydrogen = hard to store, transport, use, avoid having it burn / explode..
Ammonia = !Hydrogen. Easy to store, transport, use. But not, as far as I've known, usable in a fuel cell.

EDIT to add: Ammonia Fuel Cells | Fuel Cell Generators | GenCell

Apparently I just needed to do some duckduckgo'ing :). It wasn't even all that hard.

Ammonia as fuel via green ammonia = good.

Last edited:
Am I understanding you correct (haven't yet followed the link) - there's a path to a fuel cell that would use ammonia to produce electricity instead of hydrogen? If that's affordable and otherwise reasonable that solves the main problem I see with fuel cells - the need to carry hydrogen around. I don't mind hydrogen in static and industrial uses - but hydrogen being used as a fuel on the road, or otherwise in mobile or widespread applications (fueling stations are mostly what I'm thinking of here), where equipment will get old / need maintenance, that leaves me .. really unexcited.

Hydrogen = hard to store, transport, use, avoid having it burn / explode..
Ammonia = !Hydrogen. Easy to store, transport, use. But not, as far as I've known, usable in a fuel cell.

EDIT to add: Ammonia Fuel Cells | Fuel Cell Generators | GenCell

Apparently I just needed to do some duckduckgo'ing :). It wasn't even all that hard.

Ammonia as fuel via green ammonia = good.
Thanks for looking that up. I was only wondering if an ammonia fuel cell was possible, but had not had the time to search for it.

The delivered energy costs of carbon-neutral hydrogen, ammonia, and methanol transportation fuels are shown in Figure 3. On a source-to-tank basis, ammonia costs ($4.50 GGE−1) are 31% lower than hydrogen ($6.55 GGE−1) and 18% lower than methanol ($5.46 GGE−1). The importance of the key production metrics outlined in Table 1 are validated by the results in Figure 3. The high cost of hydrogen is due to high transmission, distribution, and dispensation costs (totaling $4.16 GGE−1) as a compressed gas. The cost penalty of methanol over ammonia is due to the high cost of separating carbon dioxide from air ($195 t−1), a factor that applies similarly or greater to all other carbon-containing fuels.
1-s2.0-S2542435119303216-gr3.jpg

Important to know that hydrogen is more expensive because of downstream costs (T&D, dispensation). Also note that this study was unaware of the direct electrolytic generation of ammonia. So the cost of the direct approach could prove cheap then first generating hydrogen via electrolysis and then converting it into ammonia. If this direct ammonia approach pans out for production scale, it could be another nail in the coffin of hydrogen.

I could not find in the paper where the efficiency of the DAFC is provided. Maybe someone with sharper eyes can spot it. But there was this circuitous discussion that suggested 42% efficiency was the level to beat to have lower cost per km than 60% for a hydrogen fuel cells. Apparently the efficiency of fuel cells is the only advantage hydrogen may have.

For a complete picture, the efficiency of the power source and drivetrain should be considered to give per-km costs. Assuming a hydrogen vehicle fuel efficiency of 90 km GGE−1 (from the GREET model) the hydrogen fuel cost is $0.072 km−1.59 If the fuel efficiency of the methanol vehicle is assumed to match a gasoline hybrid, 60 km GGE−1 (also from GREET), the methanol fuel cost is $0.091 km−1. Given that the peak system efficiency of the hydrogen fuel cell system in GREET is 60%,60 the DAFC must achieve a peak system efficiency of 42% to match the per-km fuel costs of hydrogen. If instead, the vehicle efficiency matched that of a gasoline hybrid, the fuel costs of ammonia would be $0.075 km−1, which is slightly higher than for hydrogen. Therefore, the utility of ammonia as a transportation fuel depends on the development of a DAFC with improved performance and efficiency.

It seem unlikely that any of these fuel cells can compete economically with batteries for most ground transportation. This is fine. We only need fuel cells for difficult niche applications like backup power, aviation and shipping. And of course, we need ammonia for agriculture and various chemicals. I think direct ammonia electrolysis has quite a market to fill apart from using ammonia as a fuel. If an efficient DAFC can be built, that would be very handy.

Thanks for looking that up. I was only wondering if an ammonia fuel cell was possible, but had not had the time to search for it.

1-s2.0-S2542435119303216-gr3.jpg

Important to know that hydrogen is more expensive because of downstream costs (T&D, dispensation). Also note that this study was unaware of the direct electrolytic generation of ammonia. So the cost of the direct approach could prove cheap then first generating hydrogen via electrolysis and then converting it into ammonia. If this direct ammonia approach pans out for production scale, it could be another nail in the coffin of hydrogen.

I could not find in the paper where the efficiency of the DAFC is provided. Maybe someone with sharper eyes can spot it. But there was this circuitous discussion that suggested 42% efficiency was the level to beat to have lower cost per km than 60% for a hydrogen fuel cells. Apparently the efficiency of fuel cells is the only advantage hydrogen may have.

It seem unlikely that any of these fuel cells can compete economically with batteries for most ground transportation. This is fine. We only need fuel cells for difficult niche applications like backup power, aviation and shipping. And of course, we need ammonia for agriculture and various chemicals. I think direct ammonia electrolysis has quite a market to fill apart from using ammonia as a fuel. If an efficient DAFC can be built, that would be very handy.
The way I see it ammonia as a fuel needs to be only kind of vaguely in the vicinity of efficiency as hydrogen. The advantages of carrying around a tank of ammonia sloshing around are so large compared to carrying around a tank of compressed hydrogen its ridiculous. Hydrogen wants to burn - it wants to explode. I found a study of an industrial hydrogen leak and explosion - I think it happened in Norway - in which 5 kg (about the same amount of hydrogen in the typical hydrogen powered light vehicle coincidentally) blew up.

In this case "blow up" included raising the roof (not an exaggeration - literally lifted the roof by a meter or more) and was shattering glass most of a kilometer away. This is definitely a NIMBY for me at least :)

Any guesses just how big of a bomb an ocean going ship carrying compressed hydrogen gas for running ship sized fuel cells would make?

As best as I've been able to determine, outside of a small number of very specialized applications, hydrogen gas is manufactured as part of an industrial process that also consumes it immediately by turning it into something a lot safer - like ammonia :)

Here we go - complete with bonus links:
Norwegian hydrogen station blows up:

Reason it happened:

Here we go - that case study of a hydrogen leak and explosion:

EDIT: typed this all out yesterday and didn't submit until today.

• Informative
Reactions: jhm and navguy12

AFC Energy is stacking an ammonia cracker with hydrogen fuel cell. This seems to pair the stability and portability of liquid ammonia with the efficiency of a HFC.

“A key and unique advantage of AFC Energy’s fuel cell technology is its ability to utilise low grade – and therefore, low-cost – hydrogen fuel, such as that derived from ammonia. Ammonia, as a liquid inorganic carrier possessing no carbon-hydrogen bonds, can be ‘cracked’ upon end-point arrival to produce hydrogen and nitrogen, producing only heat and water as reactive by-products – hence, zero emissions.

“The S-Series fuel system, therefore, can provide a current density which surpasses alternative high-power density cells in the market today, without the need for costly, ultra-high purity hydrogen. This technology will provide the ship with 1.2MW of capacity.”

AFC Energy believes that green ammonia can decarbonize a quarter of the shipping industry, which presently contributes about 2.9% of carbon emissions. I'm not sure why this is just a quarter of the shipping industry. Perhaps they recognize that batteries can power a substantial fraction of shipping, specifically shorter, near shore shipping.

I think the basic idea here is that ammonia can be cracked at point of use for hydrogen. Nitrogen seem to be an elegant agent to stabilize hydrogen for storage, transmission and transport. So it makes sense hold hydrogen in ammonia until the hydrogen is needed for use.

• Informative
Reactions: adiggs