Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression it wouldn't be retroactive? So anyone who orders now and gets it by late 2013 should be OK?

I was too. If the vehicle is delivered without the noise generator I would have one installed to comply with any laws made retroactive in 2014. By then many of us will be able to substantiate how important such a device is - if at all.

All I have to say is that the noise maker better be on it's own fuse !!! :D

There was a long of angst about the noise makers over at Priuschat.com and elsewhere online too. Drama about cutting wires, pulling fuses, stuffing tissue into speakers, etc.
The reality is that the noisemaker only does anything at 14mph or slower on the Plug-in Prius (PIP). and 14mph is darn slow. Further, the noise is really only audible at all outside the vehicle and at that is quite subtle--enough to make go "Huh, what's that?" and get the attention of otherwise oblivious by-standers. The sound is not obnoxious or obtrusive.

Hopefully, Tesla will follow Toyota's lead and make the sound pleasant, at least.

Toyota Explains, Demonstrates Noisemaker coming standard in all 2012 Prius models | PriusChat

I was too. If the vehicle is delivered without the noise generator I would have one installed to comply with any laws made retroactive in 2014. By then many of us will be able to substantiate how important such a device is - if at all.

Any Roadster owner can tell you this is a non-issue. If you're going slow enough to be really quiet then you are going really slow and are not much of a threat.

Also they should make it apply to luxury ICE cars, as many are just as quiet at low speeds. Otherwise the law is revealed in its anti-EV hypocricy.

I just want engine sounds since everyone else at the local Cars and Coffee revs their engines as they leave the parking lot. I feel kind of left out:smile:
Ian's (DrTaras') solution is perfect for that! I'm seriously thinking of having the same thing put in on my S. Just seems fun. I'd load up some Tron/Star Trek sounds rather than farm animals though. But definitely keeping the roaring engine for the circumstance you mention.

While I instinctively want to agree, in my case at least that would be hyperbole. I mean really--I would much rather hear an engine that breath noxious fumes. The former doesn't shorten my life.

Yes but think about this equation.

Scenario A:
Quality = 70
Life = 90

Q*L = 630 Life Quality Score

Scenario B:
Quality = 100
Life = 85

Q*L = 850 Life Quality Score

I personally would trade a few years of life for much higher quality of life (not by a quantitative measure, a qualitative assessment by me). I am not saying hearing an engine is worth any time either. In fact I agree. I run and bicycle often and air quality is really important to me. I could really care less about the noise.

Granted when the air quality gets to where I can't notice it the noise all the sudden becomes a huge burden.

So you want to add a "My ass is fume free but my insurance is not if I hit you" warning sound as you drive around? I just don't see the point to audio, there is soo much noise as it is out there and a puttputt.wav file will not solve it, people have to be headphone free and cautious first, otherwise it doesn't matter if your car plays the theme for Jaws, they will not hear you.

I didn't mean for anyone to think I'm PRO this stupid law. In two years with the Roadster, I haven't had one incident where someone had any increased chance of being hit by me because the car was quiet. (Unless those strange bumps were actually pedestrians I didn't notice... hmmm...)

But I do think it could be fun to play with noise makers. And I have had a few incidents where I had to call out to people walking down the middle of the parking lot that I couldn't get around (just one fun case where a playful, user controlled noise maker could come into play).

I personally would trade a few years of life for much higher quality of life (not by a quantitative measure, a qualitative assessment by me).

Nice example with your formula. Something to remember.

On principle I agree that an artificial engine/warning noise is sad news....if it sounded like this http://youtu.be/n17B_uFF4cA I might be totally for it.

Love it! As long as I can use it on demand, it's a great example! A mandatory sound of any nature would really irk me though.

Ian's (DrTaras') solution is perfect for that!
Honestly, that was the impetus for the original install. I'm a (rehabbed) gear-head and many of my friends were too so I wanted something to just be able to rev an engine. Now I have every imaginable engine sound in my MP3 player at the push of a button.

Now, mind you, this is far different than a government imposed passive noise generator which I oppose! Doesn't the government impose MUFFLERS? Isn't that to MUFFLE the engine noise? What's it going to be Uncle Sam? Muffle the noise or accentuate it? I should probably get a Harley Davidson sound added so I can drive by the boulevard and make all the car alarms go off!

I'm quite sure I've read several studies that says that noise pollution, i.e. living next to a big road causes stress and reduces life quality as WELL as lifespan. Hence I do hope any noisemakers can be made ilegal here in Norway. Our EV association also has a good ear to the relevant portion of our goverment so I suppose they should be able to stop it.

Cobos

I certainly understand the need for some sort of noisemaker. I can't tell you how many times I've been completely surprised by a Prius in a parking lot. And I'm a young guy with acute senses. What about the blind or the elderly? So I'm not opposed to some sort of noise at low speeds. But it better not be some periodic chirp. Imagine a bunch of EVs rolling through a low speed limit main street with their cacophony of incessant chirping. It really ought to be a low-frequency noise, like a the sound of an idling engine. It not only will be a familiar sound and one already associated with cars, it won't be annoying. And if implemented correctly, it should not be audible to the passengers in the car when the windows are up.