Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Off the traction control goes and burn those tires at the green light :) That will be enough noise to impress any ladies in the car next to you, right?
Don't even need to burn the tires...the app makes those sounds for you...the accelerometer makes the tires squeal when you corner, brake hard, accelerate hard, whatever. The faster you accelerate the higher the engine sound revs and the sooner it shifts. As long as the car is stopped and whatever position the iPhone is in doesn't change the accelerometer allows the app to read the real-time action of the car!
It's pretty cool actually...for at least 5-10 minutes.

I'd prefer to keep the 'sound of silence' - many Roadster owners have recommended to us EV-noobs that we should attempt to simply enjoy the quiet before we decide to channel the Imperial March and such through the sound system!

I also would love the silence, as I mentioned in another post before, the Model S is the poster child for the end of air pollution, let's end the noise pollution as well.

Trust me, if you are speeding, road/wind/tire noise will alert outsiders to your presence. If a cop is looking at you, he probably has a radar gun on you, or his in-car FLR/RLR will ding your speed. We'll all get stopped for curiosity sake! :redface:

I don't speed (at least no more than anyone else). I just like to accelerate fast. I like the fact that doing this doesn't make a huge and potentially cop-attracting ruckus.

I've yet to be stopped for curiosity purposes, although I've certainly heard that it happens.

In Australia there is also talk about making a noise generator mandatory mainly at low speeds around town to alert pedestrians (especially blind pedestrians) to the car's presence and then would switch off at higher speeds. (Thank goodness).

It's pretty unimaginative to think the sound has to be one of an internal combustion engine. EVs are unique - why imitate old technology. We should make submissions to the appropriate authorities if we don't want to be stuck with a mandatory sound that we hate.

Last edited:
DrTaras has the best solution. If you've ever seen his Roadster in person I'm sure you'd approve.

Maybe he'll comment here.

Any description is a lot less fun than the real thing: But basically he added a device in his dash that let's him play any number of sounds on demand (mooing, hose hooves, engine noises...). It's quite a surprise when it happens!

Any description is a lot less fun than the real thing: But basically he added a device in his dash that let's him play any number of sounds on demand (mooing, hose hooves, engine noises...). It's quite a surprise when it happens!
Thank you for the nod!
The video in this thread shows all the mods that were done to the car way back in the stone age (2009).
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Roadsters/page4?p=40337&viewfull=1#post40337
If you go to about 7 minutes you see the seamless integration of the HornTones MP3 player into the dash.