Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...s-Quiet-cars-rule-too-loud-requires-more-time

Apparently the current rules require a sound level so loud that it's louder than some high performance sports cars! That doesn't make any sense. If the issue is only EVs and hybrids, then the sound level required should be that of the quietest ICE. If the sound level is already much higher than the quietest ICE then ALL cars should be required to be at the sound level!

Yep........... There is still some time I believe for public comments!!

if people dont look both ways before crossing and get smashed, they deserve it
its the same as those idiots that have their ipods at max volume and cross the ctrain tracks only to get splattered, the ctrain is not quiet at all even tho its all electric, i cant even have a conversation with the person next to me if one goes by its so freaking loud.

you cant stop idiots, they will get hit either way, dont cripple our cars because of them.

I am strongly opposed to any artificial noise pollution generator, the EVs should be compared with cars like the most quiet of Lexus and other quiet ICE cars to start with,
and then, it there is any difference (because as mentioned both quiet ICE and EVs generate tire noise) then the solution should be to have a Courtesy Sound signal button or Quiet Horn that generates noise equivalent to a Quiet Lexus or Mercedes as a less dramatic way or letting pedestrians know you're there rather than a loud and annoying car horn.

I am strongly opposed to any artificial noise pollution generator, the EVs should be compared with cars like the most quiet of Lexus and other quiet ICE cars to start with,
and then, it there is any difference (because as mentioned both quiet ICE and EVs generate tire noise) then the solution should be to have a Courtesy Sound signal button or Quiet Horn that generates noise equivalent to a Quiet Lexus or Mercedes as a less dramatic way or letting pedestrians know you're there rather than a loud and annoying car horn.

Exactly!

The proposed legislation is terrible.

First and foremost, if it has to be, it should target all cars equally. If they are under some noise threshold, then add noise. If this isn't done, then it screams of anti-EV activism.

Second, pedestrians need not be alerted in any active way because it is the responsibility of the driver not to run people over at low speeds.

Third, it's adding an annoyance 100% of the time to address a situation that only occurs an extremely small percentage of the time. It's an extremely inefficient solution. It's like always leaving your sink running on the off chance that your cat's water dish might briefly go empty some day.

Fourth, the measure is an extreme overreach as well. It's the equivalent of requiring pedestrians who travel on foot near roadways to wear special clothing with strobe lights to better signal drivers of their presence in the name of safety.

Fifth, especially in combination with issue one, it WILL reduce adoption of EVs. I myself am a huge supporter of the electrification of the automobile, but if the EV I'm considering buying makes noise at low speed, it will give me pause and make me reconsider. Ultimately, I'll probably still buy, and just disable the noise polluter.

Sixth, there will be many like myself who would disable the noise polluter anyway. I'm generally very square and never violate any laws, but I would make an exception for this one.

Seventh...just...seriously?

Eighth, there are already too many crybaby safety laws. Such laws may be enacted with the intent to improve safety, but they have been taken too far, and have crossed the line into communism and the erosion of personal freedoms and liberty.

Ninth, the current proposals are short sighted and do not allow for companies like Tesla to develop truly intelligent solutions that can bridge the enormous gap between the noise pollution camp and the safety camp. See Elon's response to this question in the last shareholder's meeting for an example solution that I could support without causing me to go Rambo on the safety camp.

Tenth, there is a limit to how much safety is worthwhile. Should all speed limits on all roads be reduced by 20%? That would save lives. Should rock climbing and sky diving be outlawed? That would save lives. Should commercial airlines be required to have ejection seats for all passengers? That would save lives. Should fireworks be outlawed for Independence Day? That would save lives. Should noise makers be added to all quiet cars? That would save lives. The answer to all of those is No.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the sound of the original Star Trek photon torpedoes firing. That'll clear a path.