Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dogs didn't move out of the way at first, but they do now. After laying on the horn a couple of times, they got the message. MOVE. NOW. And they also move out of the way for bicycles, neighborhood golf carts, and any other large moving object.

They learn. Moving objects don't have to make noise for a dog to know to get out of the way.

Apologies for the sobering thought, I realize that I've never shared this before but, when I was a child, I discovered that real-world physics did not behave like cartoons. A neighbor of mine back in the UK backed over his son in the driveway. It was obviously a devastating event, it was my first inkling that life was not guaranteed and that accidents really did happen. I also discovered that it happens quite a lot.

I share that because it reminds that whilst it's amazing that I have a rear view camera and parking sensors and that I think about that childhood incident oddly more often than you might think or perhaps I should, it also reminds me how big and heavy cars are, how fragile people are and how it's actually down to the operator to safeguard those around them, as we've all done here without giving it a second thought. Safety is on us not on the tech.

I have no problem with "noise makers" as long as it can be used at the discretion of the driver. I mean let's get real, EV's do make noise. They aren't completely silent… The same idiots who walk in front of my Tesla are the same idiots who walked in front of my (almost silent) Lexus. I really think this is a solution looking for a problem. If they try to put something on my car that makes constant noise at low speeds, I'm either gonna cut the wire or put a switch on it myself. Period.

There was quite a discussion on this subject in the Prius group a while back. The most interesting bit of information was that children and animals are more likely to walk to the noise than they are to be alerted by it. Noise = possible danger is a learned behaviour.

I think I mentioned this a while back but my sister is blind and got backed into by a prius in a parking lot, fortunately she didn't get seriously hurt but she did make it on the news. the only way she knows cars are moving is by their sound. I hate noise pollution, love that EV's are silent, but do believe that their should at least be an option to create a discrete sound outside the vehicle when backing up. danger to pedestrians aside, it's inconvenient to me that there is no way to make my presence known so people get out of the way other than honking on the horn. I'd even like the option of choosing the sound. the Leaf makes a chiming sound, which I rather dislike. I'd much prefer a recording of wheels crushing gravel or something like that and would be perfectly happy to use it at my own discretion. In a loud, busy area, people know to look around, it's when it's totally silent, that they naturally let their guard down, and IMHO, the S on smooth pavement, is essentially silent.

I think I mentioned this a while back but my sister is blind and got backed into by a prius in a parking lot, fortunately she didn't get seriously hurt but she did make it on the news.

Thing is that it could have been a Lexus or any number of other very quiet cars--just happened that it was a Prius. However, accidents like this could easily have been avoided by backing into the parking space rather than driving into it. Driving into a parking space is very dangerous.

I've said before that a low level reverse backup sound might be useful, maybe a lower version of the loud "beep beep" that big trucks make. It needs to be a standard sound so that people instantly associate it with a moving vehicle. Choosing your own sound would just result in confusion. However, no sound is going to prevent running something over that does not understand the sound. If you are going to legislate something, backup cameras and sensors make a lot more sense than a sound.

I keep hearing people using Blind people as the justification for this… Really? I mean come on.. what are the odds? I am 55 years old, and in my entire life I've never come anywhere close to a Blind person in my car, much less almost hitting one. I think legislating a noise maker for every single EV in America for this extremely rare occurrence is simply another PC over reaction taken to the extreme. I'm sorry there are blind people in the World, but there aren't enough of them walking around to justify this. I think making the driver responsible is the right thinking. Back up cameras are already installed.

Thing is that it could have been a Lexus or any number of other very quiet cars--just happened that it was a Prius. However, accidents like this could easily have been avoided by backing into the parking space rather than driving into it. Driving into a parking space is very dangerous.

that's a good point, EV's are not the only quiet cars, and if something like this ever gets passed, applying it across the board to all vehicles below a certain decibel level would only be fair. And, even though I have a blind family member, I agree this would be overkill if only for blind people... it's the sighted ones that typically piss me off with how oblivious they are walking behind cars. All said, it's probably more about peace of mind for the driver than a dramatic improvement in safety. I do feel more confident backing up in the Leaf, knowing that people are more likely to know I'm there. If nothing changes, no biggy, this is not a high priority issue for me... i'm much more concerned with being able to put a roof rack on the X :~)

Some people just don't pay attention, no matter what. Having an audible sound probably won't help those people much. If it gets mandated, it should be for ALL vehicles, not just EVs. As others have mentioned, there are some pretty quiet ICE vehicles out there too. I agree that mandating sensors and cameras for reversing is a much better idea (IMO).

And nothing short of a horn about as loud as a locomotive's will get their attention.

of course it's all a matter of degree, but I have noticed this situation is more common since starting to drive electric a few years back. it will be interesting to see if it's something people adjust to as norms change or if a back up indicator ends up being adopted... hope it works it's self out in a way that makes sense rather than out of raw emotion either for or against.

Electric Vehicles have to make noise by 2019 - Europe

BBC News - Electric cars must make noise under new EU rules

Electric and hybrid cars will have to generate noise to make them safer for pedestrians, especially the visually impaired, the European Parliament says.

Under the revised rules, new models of electric and hybrid vehicles will have to make a noise by 2019 and all new electric and hybrid cars must be audible by 2021.

Couldn't find an existing thread and wasn't sure where to really place this.... not gone through yet but expected to.