Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty obvious why GM is actually pushing for this - it's to hide the transition from electric drive to that noisy range extender.

Like playing around with software settings is ever going to take away the fact that an engine is by nature a source of internal noise...

EDIT: Maybe I've been too harsh: http://green.autoblog.com/2009/11/2...t-tests-driver-controlled-audio-warning-syst/

The engineers have employed the car's horn to emit a series of warning chirps when a pedestrian is in proximity to GM's gas-electric hybrid, evaluating the nature and level of the warnings to alert pedestrians rather than startle them. GM spokesman Rob Peterson tells us that on the first generation Volt the warnings will be manually activated by the driver, although future iterations are likely to incorporate some sort of active system. Currently, the biggest hurdle is developing an active system that can distinguish a pedestrian from another vehicle. Otherwise, without a reliable detection system, the horns would be going off at all times, increasing noise levels and making it largely useless. Watch a video of the system after the jump.

Last edited:
Just the other day, I was taking a little walk along a quiet section of road. It's a very slight downhill, and this car approaches slowly from behind coasting along at about 10 mph. Even though the engine was off I could hear it coming from 250 ft away or so just from the tire sound - that gave me a good 30 seconds to get out of the way. Just a personal example to show it's not the lack of engine noise that's the problem - it's the incessant din of ambient noise in the cities that's masking what would otherwise be easily audible. If every car were a LNEV (low noise-emissions vehicle) then this would be a non-issue.

Talked to Franz at the Detroit drive launch. He drove the first segment. I brought up this subject mentioning the EV1 steering wheel stock brights lever pullback to flash the brights and give a muted horn honk. He said when he was at GM he had driven the EV1 and that the technology has progressed an amazing amount. On the noise issue he is worried that a noisemaker might be legislated for cars.

Just then Beaikmeister came up with his Cowbell idea!

So, I just hit the wear bars on the tires the other day. Yeah, I hit them in the gassers, too. But in the oil burners, it was a subconscious thing. In the Roadster, it was obvious.

Thinking further, the only irritating sound in the Roadster is the wind noise from the not-quite-properly adjusted driver-side window. But then, nothing is nearly as irritating as the indigestive grumble from a pathetic ICE.

SByer;41713... said:
Thinking further, the only irritating sound in the Roadster is the wind noise from the not-quite-properly adjusted driver-side window....

I really look forward to driving the Leaf at 60mph. With the oh-so-weird headlight design with the claim that they are designed to quiet the air around the car (unlike the Roadster with its Lotus roots). It will be nice to speed along in a ground up design.

These weird headlights on the Leaf are also present on other European Nissans, for example the Micra:

nissan-micra.jpg

Micra

nissan-leaf1.jpg

Leaf

They grow on you. I just took it to be part of the design language.

These weird headlights on the Leaf are also present on other European Nissans, for example the Micra:

They grow on you. I just took it to be part of the design language.

They only are weird when you look AT them. I tried to photograph how odd they were at the tour in La but no avail (without a decent lens kit).
They are like a rhino spine.