Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Philips develops LED crosswalk that warns of silent traffic — Autoblog Green

phil-walk.jpg

This paragraph:
Even if artificial vehicle sound is mandated on EVs, there are differences in sound energy. For example, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) mandates the use of back-up alarms on trucks for safety. However, the intense piercing noise emitted from current back-up alarms is a noise hazard for workers and a nuisance for nearby residents. Improved back-up alarms emit a broadband sound (white sound) that dissipates over a discrete distance reducing noise pollution. OSHA has never acted to mandate broadband sound in spite of repeated calls to do so. As NHTSA is oblivious to the public health issues of noise pollution, representation from noise control advocates are shut out of the dialog.

This is frightening. It's like the TSA. No one wants to be the person who stops the removal for a billion shoes a year. Just in case something happens.

We really have to fight this before it happens. There will be no going back.

From what I can see there are a couple of points. First, these statistics are not presented in terms of vehicle miles and if hybrid owners drive more than typical car owners (likely) it will skew the results. Another thing not controlled for is if hybrids have more contact with bicyclist/peds. Another thing is the most popular hybrids (Prius, Civic, Insight) have visibility problems (both rear and front-side visibility).

The secondary horn is the best compromise I think. It puts the onus on the driver to use it (which we seem to be happy with) and its presence makes it harder for lawmakers to insist on having the permanent noise that some groups have pushed for. Good to see GM have gone this route and not caved in.

Good to see GM have gone this route and not caved in.
Indeed. This warble is the same sound that was in that dog and pony show video the Volt folks did with a bunch blind people in a parking lot. From that vid it looks like the sound also is tied to the headlights as it was in the EV1. Glad to see they remember some of those good ideas.

Does anyone know if that warble is from a separate horn, or is it generated by modulating the standard horn?

EU Commission stuff:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_...wledge/pdf/bfs2007_sn-kfv-1-3-pedestrians.pdf

Can't find anything recent about calls from the Commission to legislate for artifical sound for pedestrians. But there is this:

The Regulation also defines requirements on the practical use of electric cars, such as giving an indication to the driver that the electric engine is switched on, which otherwise cannot be heard and could therefore cause unwanted starting of the vehicle.

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressRelease...format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Which doesn't really TIE in with this story TEG posted above:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Technology/Electric-Cars-May-Use-Spaceship-Sounds-As-Pedestrian-Warning-Testing-At-Warwick-University/Article/201005115625019?lpos=Technology_First_Technology_Article_Teaser_Region__1&lid=ARTICLE_15625019_Electric_Cars_May_Use_Spaceship_Sounds_As_Pedestrian_Warning%3A_Testing_At_Warwick_University

Ha!... Well I suppose it signifies all the wasted energy. The majority of that burning gasoline is getting turned into noise, heat and vibration instead of forward motion.

Periodically, I'll have a driver pull up alongside me and deliberately rev their engine. Besides the laughter it evokes from me to see/hear their obvious (male?) insecurity manifested, it also reminds me of all the energy they're wasting for no useful purpose.

The Regulation also defines requirements on the practical use of electric cars, such as giving an indication to the driver that the electric engine is switched on, which otherwise cannot be heard and could therefore cause unwanted starting of the vehicle.
What does that even mean? What is an electric engine? Do they mean electric motor? What does it mean for it to be on? Do they mean that the car is in gear? What does unwanted starting of the vehicle mean? Do they mean unwanted movement of the vehicle?

Oh my.