Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should FSD have been standard?

Do you think Tesla would have been better off to include FSD standard and increase base cost?

• Yes

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 69.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My feeling is that Tesla will offer FSD rental in the $100-$150/month range, as anything more than that will simply not be acceptable to most ppl. But that makes the full purchase price unsustainable, since ppl will do the math and realize it's always cheaper to rent.

They COULD lower the full FSD purchase price, but my guess is they will do something more cunning: Make FSD purchases transferable (that is, you own FSD for life, rather than it being attached to the car). For customers, this makes FSD purchase make more sense, since they can take it with them if/when they get a new Tesla, and for Tesla is makes sense since it encourages customers to stay with Tesla models as and when there is more EV competition.

I suspect it will be more like $200 a month if not higher...
To make the purchase attractive for those who intend to keep the car for 5 or more years.

Agreed. The only alternative I see is making FSD purchase transferable so you can take it with you to a new car (which also has the added bene fit for Tesla of encouraging people to stay with Tesla cars, if/when decent alternate EVs become available).