Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I accept Delivery Model Y LR RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm supposed to take delivery of my new LR RWD Model Y tomorrow. They called me today to let me know there is a dent in the lift gate, and that I could accept delivery and then schedule a service appointment to get it fixed. They were good enough to send me a photo (attached). The dent is pretty sizable, but it doesn't seem like anything else was damaged or non-operational. I'm considering taking the delivery. What do you all think? is the assurance they will fix the issue enough to ahead with it? Will they give me a loaner while they repair it?

would love the collected wisdom of the community here.

Image (1).png

I'm supposed to take delivery of my new LR RWD Model Y tomorrow. They called me today to let me know there is a dent in the lift gate, and that I could accept delivery and then schedule a service appointment to get it fixed. They were good enough to send me a photo (attached). The dent is pretty sizable, but it doesn't seem like anything else was damaged or non-operational. I'm considering taking the delivery. What do you all think? is the assurance they will fix the issue enough to ahead with it? Will they give me a loaner while they repair it?

would love the collected wisdom of the community here.

View attachment 1059751

I wouldnt (take delivery of that car) unless it also came with a sizable discount, as well as the in writing promise that the dent would be addressed.

You probably wouldnt get either of those things, so easier to go back in the queue. They can find you another one, fix that one and then sell it to someone else (probably without disclosing fixing it since thats probably below the damage disclosure threshhold).

Reactions: TheLastDon
I wouldnt (take delivery of that car) unless it also came with a sizable discount, as well as the in writing promise that the dent would be addressed.

You probably wouldnt get either of those things, so easier to go back in the queue. They can find you another one, fix that one and then sell it to someone else (probably without disclosing fixing it since thats probably below the damage disclosure threshhold).
So true. You paid for a new car and that is exactly what you should get. Not a car that's been in an accident.

Tesla tried to get me to take a 500 mile demo car for 250 dollars off. I said I'll wait for the new one I ordered. 250 bucks isn't worth 500 miles.

So true. You paid for a new car and that is exactly what you should get. Not a car that's been in an accident.
It’s perfectly legal for a manufacturer or dealer to simply repair issues like this before delivery, with no disclosure to the consumer necessary. Cars are sold with post-manufacturing repairs all the time. The only thing that makes it “not new” in this case is you know about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the advice here is generally good and if you can wait a bit longer I’d probably wait vs. dealing with Tesla after delivery. But the hyperbole about “you bought a new car and that’s what you should get” doesn’t acknowledge the reality that many many cars are sold with repaired damage like this that is never disclosed.

It’s perfectly legal for a manufacturer or dealer to simply repair issues like this before delivery, with no disclosure to the consumer necessary. Cars are sold with post-manufacturing repairs all the time. The only thing that makes it “not new” in this case is you know about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the advice here is generally good and if you can wait a bit longer I’d probably wait vs. dealing with Tesla after delivery. But the hyperbole about “you bought a new car and that’s what you should get” doesn’t acknowledge the reality that many many cars are sold with repaired damage like this that is never discloseIt
Ignorance is bliss:
(Ecclesiastes 1:18) "For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

I unmatched from that dented vehicle, and now my est. delivery is June 25th -June 30th. I noticed that my configuration was switched back to the light gemini wheels because that is what was on the dented vehicle.

I frankly don't care about the color of my wheels, but this is no longer a selectable option on new model Y's , so I don't want the unavailability of light wheels to delay getting assigned a VIN. Is that worth trying to clarify with Tesla or will they just "free upgrade" me again to dark wheels if that is what is available?