Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be upset about receiving a 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m told (someone on these boards) they are no longer honoring negotiated upgrade discounts. Now I’m worried I’m about to get the run around at delivery.

I ordered online last week, a Black/Black/Aero Mid range. I went into the showroom two days later and switched to a Blue/Black/Aero mid range fleet vehicle. I was told it had a $1,500 discount for the mileage, and they would throw in the Blue for no charge. The discounts don’t show on my Tesla account, and the advisor at the store has had the past 4 days off. The folks on the phone say he has to make the adjustment before they can proceed. He comes back to work tomorrow. I’m hoping I don’t get told oops, we can’t honor that deal.

Has anyone taken delivery of a discounted car Saturday or later?

Nice, sounds like you and I got the same deal. I'm picking up a 2018, red exterior, white interior, performance pack Model 3 with 4,600 miles on it for $51k without AP or FSD. Discount is around $11,200.

How was the condition of yours when you picked it up? My OA did say that any cosmetic issues such as curbed wheels should be taken care of but I haven't been able to see the car and won't until delivery. I am not super worried about it, just curious.

My initial pickup date was set for 3/23, but I may be able to have it delivered tomorrow instead.

Depends on the car.

We just picked up our P3, and after option discount promo they were running and a price adjustment for being an inventory car, we got just over $11k off the price of the car. I removed EAP as we don't care for it, so in the end, I paid less for a practically brand new '18 P3 than I did our LR RWD 6 months ago.

Thanks tesla and Elon :)

Reactions: Scott7
I’m told (someone on these boards) they are no longer honoring negotiated upgrade discounts. Now I’m worried I’m about to get the run around at delivery.

I ordered online last week, a Black/Black/Aero Mid range. I went into the showroom two days later and switched to a Blue/Black/Aero mid range fleet vehicle. I was told it had a $1,500 discount for the mileage, and they would throw in the Blue for no charge. The discounts don’t show on my Tesla account, and the advisor at the store has had the past 4 days off. The folks on the phone say he has to make the adjustment before they can proceed. He comes back to work tomorrow. I’m hoping I don’t get told oops, we can’t honor that deal.

As long as your original order was pushed through with the option discount, they can honor if you had to switch cars. They just have to open a case internally and get it moved over.

The Option credit they were doing was stopped on Friday evening.

I switched cars as a cheaper one came along with less miles and had no issues with it being moved over. It’ll show as a total price price adjustment when it’s all said and done

Last edited:
  • Informative
Congrats!

Originally, we placed an order for a red/white car with 4100 miles and found out the interior was pretty banged up as well as curb rashed wheels and such. They agreed to fixing the wheels but the rest was as is. My OA then found me a cheaper car with 1700 miles that literally looked brand new. I paid just sub $50k for a performance model 3.

Definitely understand how people feel about recent pricing changes. My wife’s LR was $51,500 new just 6 months ago.

Nice, sounds like you and I got the same deal. I'm picking up a 2018, red exterior, white interior, performance pack Model 3 with 4,600 miles on it for $51k without AP or FSD. Discount is around $11,200.

How was the condition of yours when you picked it up? My OA did say that any cosmetic issues such as curbed wheels should be taken care of but I haven't been able to see the car and won't until delivery. I am not super worried about it, just curious.

My initial pickup date was set for 3/23, but I may be able to have it delivered tomorrow instead.

ha... you've got me nervous now. Fingers crossed mine isn't trashed...

Congrats!

Originally, we placed an order for a red/white car with 4100 miles and found out the interior was pretty banged up as well as curb rashed wheels and such. They agreed to fixing the wheels but the rest was as is. My OA then found me a cheaper car with 1700 miles that literally looked brand new. I paid just sub $50k for a performance model 3.

Definitely understand how people feel about recent pricing changes. My wife’s LR was $51,500 new just 6 months ago.

Did they honor the discount? I'm in the same boat right now. When I placed the order on 3/14 for a Model 3 Performance test drive vehicle, the Tesla advisor told me they would give a $2,500 discount for the paint and that the price adjustment would reflect the following day, Friday. That didn't happen and since Monday I've been following up with them and I feel like I'm getting the run around. Today, the delivery advisor updated my account to include my financing details, still no price adjustment. I have not clicked on the submit button. My scheduled delivery is this Sunday, 3/24.

Did they honor the discount? I'm in the same boat right now. When I placed the order on 3/14 for a Model 3 Performance test drive vehicle, the Tesla advisor told me they would give a $2,500 discount for the paint and that the price adjustment would reflect the following day, Friday. That didn't happen and since Monday I've been following up with them and I feel like I'm getting the run around. Today, the delivery advisor updated my account to include my financing details, still no price adjustment. I have not clicked on the submit button. My scheduled delivery is this Sunday, 3/24.
They did, however it took about 6 days to reflect on my account.

But they slash the prices in the autumn. "Model year end sales event extravaganza"!

What do you think Tesla is doing? There's already reports on this forum of people getting discounts for taking last year's car. There's been multiple posts of people refusing late 2018 builds so as to avoid the greater depreciation hit.

So who do you think Tesla is going to sell the remaining 2018's to? Suckers who are not on this forum? At what price? We've seen that some got a discount for asking but some didn't. They're going to have to clear out that inventory, how do you sweeten the deal?

People give props to Tesla for some reason because they think they "don't need model years" (the government says they do), yet model years are a real thing and the other OEMs figured out long ago that switching sometime well before December 31 prevents having a lot of these problems.

What do you think Tesla is doing? There's already reports on this forum of people getting discounts for taking last year's car. There's been multiple posts of people refusing late 2018 builds so as to avoid the greater depreciation hit.

So who do you think Tesla is going to sell the remaining 2018's to? Suckers who are not on this forum? At what price? We've seen that some got a discount for asking but some didn't. They're going to have to clear out that inventory, how do you sweeten the deal?

People give props to Tesla for some reason because they think they "don't need model years" (the government says they do), yet model years are a real thing and the other OEMs figured out long ago that switching sometime well before December 31 prevents having a lot of these problems.
2 weeks ago I took delivery of July 2018 model 3. With a lot of bitching and please please can I get a discount... nothing. Thankfully the car is perfect, yeah got an orange wet roof, and I’m now on 2019.8.3. So far so good.

2 weeks ago I took delivery of July 2018 model 3. With a lot of bitching and please please can I get a discount... nothing. Thankfully the car is perfect, yeah got an orange wet roof, and I’m now on 2019.8.3. So far so good.
That’s a 5 K hit on the resale right out of the gate.

That’s my point. Whether it is January or September, every manufacturer has last years model that they have to discount.

I am well aware of their pricing on 2018s as I went looking for one just to get a better deal. I know it’s a year older on the resale, but I plan on keeping it for 8-10 years so I don’t think 1 year is going to make much difference on a 10 year old car.

That’s my point. Whether it is January or September, every manufacturer has last years model that they have to discount.

I am well aware of their pricing on 2018s as I went looking for one just to get a better deal. I know it’s a year older on the resale, but I plan on keeping it for 8-10 years so I don’t think 1 year is going to make much difference on a 10 year old car.

What I'm trying to tell you is that if Tesla had switched over model years in, let's say September, all the cars currently in inventory (and likely since the first of the year) would be 2019's.

There would be no discounts given to you or any other current buyers for buying autumn-built inventory.

Any of the folks above that deferred purchase early this year, in order to get a MY2019, would already have given Tesla their money.

Tesla's practice of "being honest" and "not playing the game" with regard to Model Years, is impacting revenue.

With Tesla's lead times on production I don't think there would be any 2018's left right now if they had switched sometime in autumn. I might argue they would have LESS (if any) unsold "last year's" inventory than the typical OEM, during the first few months of the year.

It's just my opinion, but there's evidence all over this thread that switching Model Years sooner than the last week of December would be a benefit to Tesla.

What I'm trying to tell you is that if Tesla had switched over model years in, let's say September, all the cars currently in inventory (and likely since the first of the year) would be 2019's.

There would be no discounts given to you or any other current buyers for buying autumn-built inventory.

Any of the folks above that deferred purchase early this year, in order to get a MY2019, would already have given Tesla their money.

Tesla's practice of "being honest" and "not playing the game" with regard to Model Years, is impacting revenue.

I'm not sure that's true. For every other brand, dealers hold "end-of-year" inventory clearance events in the early autumn. Buyers looking for bargains get "last year's model" (that is, the model with the current calendar year) in October through December, and those who want the "latest and greatest" insist on getting a model bearing the next calendar year during that period. This is just like what people are complaining or worrying about in this thread, just shifted a few months earlier.

That said, it's possible that the effect is worse with Teslas, but I'd need to see hard numbers (market research) to convince me. Without that, it's just speculation.

I'm not sure that's true. For every other brand, dealers hold "end-of-year" inventory clearance events in the early autumn. Buyers looking for bargains get "last year's model" (that is, the model with the current calendar year) in October through December, and those who want the "latest and greatest" insist on getting a model bearing the next calendar year during that period. This is just like what people are complaining or worrying about in this thread, just shifted a few months earlier.

That said, it's possible that the effect is worse with Teslas, but I'd need to see hard numbers (market research) to convince me. Without that, it's just speculation.

I get what you're saying, but the flip of the calendar really drives it home for a lot of people. It's mentally easier to justify buying a 2018 car in November of actual 2018, than it is to buy a 2018 in February or March 2019.

Just from the examples in this thread alone, we have anecdotal evidence that the effect to Tesla calculable. It may not be a statistically significant amount (for that we need more hard data, as you say), but we can definitely say there's a greater than zero number of customers that it affects.

The point is, Tesla gains nothing by changing Model Years in the last week of December, except admiration from people who somehow see this as Tesla "sticking it to the system". Why risk any loss, or deferred revenue, no matter how small, just to be able to say "we don't do it like everyone else does"?

Is there some benefit I'm missing?

Is there some benefit I'm missing?

Yes, the benefit is it's far more logical and easy for everyone to understand than releasing a "2019 model" in the middle of 2018. Tesla doesn't hold back changes for "the next model year" so there's no justification for them to play that nonsense game.

I think the customers specifically requesting 2019 VINs that you see on places like TMC are by far the minority. Most Tesla buyers probably join zero forums. Us nutballs that spend time across 3 different Tesla community websites aren't typical and will make up a decreasing % of Tesla buyers as their volume increases. It's like this for any car brand.

Yes, the benefit is it's far more logical and easy for everyone to understand than releasing a "2019 model" in the middle of 2018. Tesla doesn't hold back changes for "the next model year" so there's no justification for them to play that nonsense game.

I think the customers specifically requesting 2019 VINs that you see on places like TMC are by far the minority. Most Tesla buyers probably join zero forums. Us nutballs that spend time across 3 different Tesla community websites aren't typical and will make up a decreasing % of Tesla buyers as their volume increases. It's like this for any car brand.

I absolutely agree with your last point. Forum goers are the smallest subset of any population.

But, given 100 years or so of history, I think everyone is pretty well comfortable with the concept of the new cars coming out in the fall. I've yet to have anyone tell me what's malicious about it, and furthermore I vehemently disagree with it being a "nonsense game". I've already shown how doing so has financial benefits.

It's not about "holding back changes". I know you love Tesla and think their constant updates makes them better -- that's perfectly fine. I'll tell you that other OEMs do this as well, and the proof is in all the instances when you need to know exact production date to ensure proper parts interchangeability. It's such a common issue that most OEM dealers will just start with asking you the last 8 digits of your VIN. So constant change is not a purely Tesla exercise.

With regard to big changes however, sometimes it's better just to go to the next year, so that the consumer can identify what's what. When Tesla changed the nose cone of the Model S, it might have been better just to call it a 2017. If anything would be more logical and easy for everyone to understand, as you argue, that would be it. However the way it is now, there are two different types of 2016 Model S. I know there are other Tesla examples but I don't follow those changes as closely as some of the rest of you.

Years from purchase, the production date won't matter to resale value. But in certain parts of the year, Model Year vs. production date clearly has impact.

No. Value is determined by year, features and DATE FIRT REGISTERED.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask for first registered date when evaluating a car. I know they do this overseas but I've never heard of that here.