Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be upset about receiving a 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, still doesn't make sense or seem fair. Tesla isn't playing that game so it puts them at a disadvantage.

For the last time, Model Years are not a game, they are legal requirements. Thumbing their nose at it doesn't make Tesla a hero. It just makes it more difficult for the average consumer to ascertain what exactly a given car is. See below.

While model year is certainly relevant to resale value, anyone buying a Tesla had better educate themselves on the Tesla way of doing business. For example, if you are shopping for a 2016 Model S, the early year cars look nothing like the late 2016 cars — the nose cone was removed mid-year — and AP2 hardware replaced AP1 hardware. (Personally I don’t like the nose cone and wanted AP2 so those features would be what I would be most concerned about, not the model year.)

This is the strongest argument I can think of for why Tesla should "play the game", and release major updates / changes like this, concurrent with a change in Model Year. It would bother absolutely no one if the facelifted 2016 Model S was VIN'ed as a 2017, and it would give customers a more realistic view of exactly what version of the car they are buying. All the diehards here know this stuff and take it for granted, but in 2026 it's going to take Average Joe a fair bit of research to find out which 2016 Model S he is getting, and what was new with the update.

I have no idea how the resale market is treating these major changes that would never be done mid-year by most manufacturers. I assume resale value tools like KBB aren’t set up very well to handle Tesla’s way of doing radical changes mid-model year. (For example, I doubt nose cone and AP2 are criteria KBB uses for 2016 Model S searches.).

There are lots of instances where other OEMs have made big changes to a model mid-Year, and in every case it's a major pain in the ass for parts and service information, years down the road. Ram is currently selling two entirely different 2019 1500 pickups, one a full generation older than the other, which dates back to 2006! The Japanese and the Europeans in particular are find of making big changes midyear which are not widely publicized, and many people buying a new car off the lot simply don't have any idea they're not getting the latest and greatest.

You can be proud of Tesla not "playing the game" by acknowledging major updates with a Model Year change but in my view it does consumers a disservice.

Pretty much any Model 3 order until probably late March will be '18 MY due to all current production being shipped overseas. Tesla does a '18 MY up until literally Dec. 31st.

As been mentioned if you want to wait, wait to reduce the hit on depreciation. Otherwise I'd consider arguing for a discount/upgrade etc. Pretty clear cut now given the amount of information already presented on the thread.

I’d like to add a two cents here. This question has been well discussed. I’ve been in the car business a LONG time. When I started, I too was confused how model years “work”, since in traditional car lines, the actual year (even manufacturing year) is considered different than “model” year. A long time ago most auto manufacturers decided to categorize “model years” based on specific design styles, features, etc. this helped consumers make decisions on what they wanted to buy PLUS helped us in the car biz value used cars later on. The practice grew to include trim levels, additional options, etc- mostly to generate higher margins. We all know this and you guys have pointed it out very well. TESLA on the other hand plays it differently. They change features, styling, etc whenever they decide to do so. This does NOT help the consumer make the best decision of course (hence the OP’s question) ASSUMING that consumer wants the latest and greatest...as they should really, since they are paying the same price anyway (usually).

BUT, I do respect Tesla for their updating process. This is a very impressive metric and I am pleased how many consumers appreciate it. I’ve handled several Tesla transactions and have bought one myself right off the internet like most of you. The company customer service...well- that’s been discussed enough. Just know this and feel pretty good about it, anyone in the car biz who buys Tesla is learning or has learned that the manufacturing date of ANY Tesla is not truly the primary metric. It’s how the car compares to currently offered similar vehicles, miles, wear and tear and as always: the sellers motivation. When people ask me which Tesla to buy and when- I always recommend a platform that has at least 12 months in market at current relatively similar configuration to its model line. And definitely a well-cared for USED model that can be acquired for much less than the new cost less tax credits. A lot of these used cars have been already sorted out, and if not- likely still under warranty. This is not always possible, so then try to buy a new one and demand discounts of some substantial kind if it’s not rolling off the assembly line straight to your door. This may offset the loss of a new feature down the road.

Sorry about regurgitating everything everyone already knows. But sometimes it’s good to hear from a guy that owns a couple dealerships and has experienced both sides of the fence. Good luck with your purchase!

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
I ordered a 2019 M3P on Feb. 6th. My delivery documents also showed a 2018. I told them I would except it if I could be given an acceptable discount. They said no so I decided to wait for a 2019. My account shows a delivery date of March 12th but I still don't have a vin#. Hopefully I'll have my new car sometime in mid March.

I ordered a 2019 M3P on Feb. 6th. My delivery documents also showed a 2018. I told them I would except it if I could be given an acceptable discount. They said no so I decided to wait for a 2019. My account shows a delivery date of March 12th but I still don't have a vin#. Hopefully I'll have my new car sometime in mid March.

So how do they expect to sell these 2018s?

So how do they expect to sell these 2018s?

I was in the same boat. Offered a 2018 with free white interior. But was led to believe it was a very late 2018 build (December). When I found out it was November I decided to turn it down. I didn't spec white interior anyway and that was not nearly enough incentive to take the 2018 build...for me anyway. They aren't communicating at all now...

You wrecked the July car (or was in the shop) in Dec and had a loaner. Now the July car is fixed.
nope.

here's a hint.

3iLEflE.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
With the drop in price yesterday, did they adjust your price as well?

Reactions: Olds442
Pretty much any Model 3 order until probably late March will be '18 MY due to all current production being shipped overseas. Tesla does a '18 MY up until literally Dec. 31st.

As been mentioned if you want to wait, wait to reduce the hit on depreciation. Otherwise I'd consider arguing for a discount/upgrade etc. Pretty clear cut now given the amount of information already presented on the thread.

Ordered beginning of February, driving a 2019 for over a week now

I ordered my (replacement) car last night. Now I am curious to see if they will try to give me an inventory car or will I get a 2019 build. Delivery within 2 weeks feels like inventory, but we will see...

What happened to your "original" car?

I wouldn't be too concerned about a MY '18 if you took delivery in 2019. It would be something to mention when you sell the car. I know when I was considerind a CPO, I would have been fine with a late '16 production as it was equivelant age to an other manufacturers 2017. Its just the lower number that is a mental component.