Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model 3 vs Highland battery tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey folks, I've got a 2018 vin around 120,000, using Panasonic batteries I presume. Looking to buy a new Highland, I recall it's got a different battery and chemistry. Currently I'm keeping charge at 50% for years on my 2018, only go to 100% if I need it.....in theory to reduce calendar aging. It seems to have worked.

What are the highland batteries, and do they age differently than my old Panasonics?

thanks ahead....just curious, and I'm sure this posted somewhere but haven't found it.

Some relevant points here. @eivissa is on this forum also, so he could probably summarize the comparison between the 77.8kW “OG” 2170 NCA pack in your 2018 and the LG 78.8kWh (?) NCMA that would be in the non-P Model 3 Highland, or you could search for his posts which are usually on related topics.

To be clear the 82kWh here would only apply to the Performance Model 3 (most likely - certainly the current Performance and probably the Highland P). In the good old US of A anyway, where we get the best stuff.

IMG_0457.jpeg

Thanks Alan.....so charging speed would be a slight negative with Highland....and perhaps there's less calendar aging so capacity maintains slightly better?

Ultimately there's nothing I can do about it, the batteries are what the batteries are.....just curious of what I'll be seeing.

Some relevant points here. @eivissa is on this forum also, so he could probably summarize the comparison between the 77.8kW “OG” 2170 NCA pack in your 2018 and the LG 78.8kWh (?) NCMA that would be in the non-P Model 3 Highland, or you could search for his posts which are usually on related topics.

To be clear the 82kWh here would only apply to the Performance Model 3 (most likely - certainly the current Performance and probably the Highland P). In the good old US of A anyway, where we get the best stuff.

View attachment 1026577
Are there any public charge curves of M3 Highland Long Range on V3/V4 Superchargers? I was under the assumption, that all LR Highland out of Fremont had the Panasonic cells (82kWh). This would be easily proven on DC charge. The Panasonic, properly preheated, will charge 250kW to 14% SOC were the LG will touch 250kW for a brief second if plugged in at or below 10%, but then fall instantly. There is no charge plateau for more than maybe five seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thanks Alan.....so charging speed would be a slight negative with Highland....and perhaps there's less calendar aging so capacity maintains slightly better?

Ultimately there's nothing I can do about it, the batteries are what the batteries are.....just curious of what I'll be seeing.
The main difference is in cyclic aging, not calendar aging. The newer LFP chemistry can be charged up to 100% without much penalty, and Tesla recommends you to do it regularly. No need to micromanage and stay near 50%. LFPs can also withstand 2x-4x more charge-discharge cycles without loss.

To be clear, cyclic aging means using the battery, whereas calendar aging would happen if you just park it in a garage.

LFPs are also heavier so your 0-60 acceleration is slightly reduced. They are safer and more sustainable (no rare earth metals for which we have limited supply).