Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be upset about receiving a 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would but I’d have to go over it with a fine tooth comb and maybe bring a mechanic with me.
I'm not sure a mechanic would help? This is a Tesla not a Toyota...

One more point - They would offer it at a significant discount.
How significant are we talking? I'm considering an LR AWD order in the next few days so may soon be in this same situation.

@Gordon87 hmm, this does makes me wonder - at what point does the odometer mileage warrant a discount? This is definitely subjective, but my feeling is that it should be anything over 100 miles. I guess you could ask where the mileage came from but who knows if what they tell you is truthful. If it were me, I would ask for a discount or wait for something else.

I once leased a car that had 400 miles on it because it was a dealer transfer. It didn't bother me because it was a lease and I knew I would be returning it. But if it was a purchase I probably would have walked. That's just my personal preference though, YMMV.

Ok, looking for your thoughts:

Ordered a Model 3 LR AWD on Monday, 3/11. Have been speaking with a Tesla rep for the last few days. Today he found a test drive/demo car with 562 miles and my configuration (no variation at all). It is a late Dec 2018 build. It was not rejected or returned, but I assume that with that many miles, it might have been used as a loaner since I cannot believe it could have had test drives resulting in 562 miles. Never titled, so new and available for the tax credit for the first half of 2019. I'm not in a rush to get a new car ASAP, but this would fit the bill.

The Tesla rep said he would confirm that it will have updated software including AP & FSD (which I purchased upon order).

Do I buy it? Appreciate your thoughts.

Just my two cents after dealing with Tesla as a former Model X owner (bought new) and now waiting on a 2019 build- unless they give you a SIGNIFICANT discount- NO WAY. Wait for the 2019. You said you were not in a huge hurry so wait a little longer. Again, just my opinion. Good luck whichever way you decide to go...

Thank you for your thoughts. I am taking the car. The Tesla rep said I could inspect it when delivery is set, and reject it if I want.

He gave me the VIN, so now I just wait for my Tesla Account to be updated to show it and for them to schedule delivery.

I was just offered a 2018 LR AWD ( Dec '18 build) with <30 miles for a $4,000 discount. Initially I would have flat out refused a 2018, but that's a bigger discount than I expected them to offer, so I am likely to accept it.
I got an M3 last Friday July 2018 build with 60 miles on it and I got nothing. If the car wasn’t perfect I would have/rejected it.

I was just offered a 2018 LR AWD ( Dec '18 build) with <30 miles for a $4,000 discount. Initially I would have flat out refused a 2018, but that's a bigger discount than I expected them to offer, so I am likely to accept it.

That is an amazing deal. Did you ask for the discount or did they call you and offered it?
I was assigned a December VIN as well. I called and asked to be unmatched. They did not offer me any discount.

They called me not too long after I placed the order. The first thing they said was they've matched me with a local car and said it would be $4,000 off the price online. I asked the year and mileage, thinking it was a demo, they confirmed it was a 2018 with basically no miles. I asked to confirm the total price and they repeated it back to me - sure enough $4,000 cheaper than the current website pricing. I also got a follow up email confirming the same. Truthfully, I was still a little disappointed that it's an '18, but given everyone's feedback, it sounds like I should grab this deal and hope nothing suddenly changes.

They called me not too long after I placed the order. The first thing they said was they've matched me with a local car and said it would be $4,000 off the price online. I asked the year and mileage, thinking it was a demo, they confirmed it was a 2018 with basically no miles. I asked to confirm the total price and they repeated it back to me - sure enough $4,000 cheaper than the current website pricing. I also got a follow up email confirming the same. Truthfully, I was still a little disappointed that it's an '18, but given everyone's feedback, it sounds like I should grab this deal and hope nothing suddenly changes.
I got a July 2018 M3 last week with zero discount. Don’t be disappointed.

Congrats. I think that's an insane deal! $4k is essentially taking care of your 1 year depreciation for a brand new car - Plus - no wait! I would call it a win-win for you.
BTW, make sure to do the delivery inspection very very carefully to be sure that there are no defects. This will be a good delivery checklist.

Congrats. I think that's an insane deal! $4k is essentially taking care of your 1 year depreciation for a brand new car - Plus - no wait! I would call it a win-win for you.
BTW, make sure to do the delivery inspection very very carefully to be sure that there are no defects. This will be a good delivery checklist.

I think it would depend on what the $4k discount is on. Sure, if it's a base black on aero and you get $4k off then that's closer to matching the depreciation. However, if $2.5k of that discount is paint and $1.5k is 19-inch sport wheels then that's not gonna be close.

I think it would depend on what the $4k discount is on. Sure, if it's a base black on aero and you get $4k off then that's closer to matching the depreciation. However, if $2.5k of that discount is paint and $1.5k is 19-inch sport wheels then that's not gonna be close.

In used car market, I would like to believe that those options would matter? especially the paint - since Black is not metallic. Either ways, I think $4k (almost 7.5% of LR AWD car price) is an amazing discount.

I'm not sure a mechanic would help? This is a Tesla not a Toyota...

How significant are we talking? I'm considering an LR AWD order in the next few days so may soon be in this same situation.
Right you are Scott. I wasn’t clear. My point should have been a mechanic who could look under the car for damage.

Right you are Scott. I wasn’t clear. My point should have been a mechanic who could look under the car for damage.

Ok but even there a Tesla isn't like most cars. The underside is mostly flat plastic panels for aerodynamic reasons and the other 60% is the bottom of the battery pack.

But if said mechanic happens to have worked in a Tesla Service Center, that's a different story! :p

Reactions: Ormond and hcdavis3
I posted on page 6 of this thread and said I would update once I got the car. Took delivery of a MR on Tuesday 3/12. Black/black/19"/AP. Before delivery, I knew it was a 2019 from the VIN. Door sticker shows it's a Feb '19 build (not sure of the exact day since they only put the month/year on the sticker). I have an issue with the charge port which mobile service will hopefully replace next week when they come out. The charger is extremely difficult to remove from the port. Otherwise, I love everything about my M3 so far!

Whoever got that sweet deal on the '18 AWD...congrats! I wouldn't have hesitated on that either.

I was first matched with a 2018 built AWD LR. I told my salesperson I would accept the car if I was comped for something. He told me he couldn’t do anything and they rematched me with a 19. All’s well that ends well, but I gladly would have taken a $4000 reduction on an 18.

Reactions: Olds442
I was planning to order online tomorrow, but figured I might as well call the nearest store/delivery center and see if they could help me over the phone with an inventory choice. Did not find my first option (blue), but did find my second choice (white) on a local car with 49 miles on it, built Dec 5th 2018. VIN in 180,000 range. Discount is $3900. Gonna take it! :D

Have 3 days to cancel and of course I’ll check it over well in person next week at delivery.

LR AWD
Pearl white
Black interior
19” sport wheels
Autopilot (Will remove for $3k savings. Don’t need it for my purposes, but maybe the 30 day trial will change my mind)

Reactions: Olds442