Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I black out my badges/emblems on my black MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my T and dual motor emblems painted gun metal…looks incredible! Matches the gun metal or carbon rims.

Sportier look than chrome and not just black T or red T…the usual changes lol.

What do you guys think? The dual motor was ordered online to replace the flatter oem chrome ones. This badge slightly more 3D depth :)

Attachments

• 08841D9D-C8A6-4F97-B2E6-E33A0C7DF27D.jpeg
    08841D9D-C8A6-4F97-B2E6-E33A0C7DF27D.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 448
  • 14AD2443-F9FF-4C86-A5CB-FF52E27BEA55.jpeg
    14AD2443-F9FF-4C86-A5CB-FF52E27BEA55.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 338
  • 8E809441-B996-4F74-A29B-ECDC223D19A5.jpeg
    8E809441-B996-4F74-A29B-ECDC223D19A5.jpeg
    453.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 611582EE-10DB-4F0E-B72A-951EF45F4885.jpeg
    611582EE-10DB-4F0E-B72A-951EF45F4885.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 4ADE7826-FA5A-42E0-A95B-A2D4879E9D3A.jpeg
    4ADE7826-FA5A-42E0-A95B-A2D4879E9D3A.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 321
It took me a bit, but my front and rear emblems are real C/F overlays (glossy), which matches my side mirrors, spoiler and fender camera housings. It gives a nice subtle C/F accents to the car, I'm not a fan of fake C/F wraps.

I say it took me a bit, because finding C/F overlays for the front / rear that actually fit was kind of a pain. Some would say it fits the Y, but it's actually for the 3, which the rear Y has more of a curve. For the front you would think it'd be easy, but I found a lot of bad quality and some that were just smaller.

It took me a bit, but my front and rear emblems are real C/F overlays (glossy), which matches my side mirrors, spoiler and fender camera housings. It gives a nice subtle C/F accents to the car, I'm not a fan of fake C/F wraps.

I say it took me a bit, because finding C/F overlays for the front / rear that actually fit was kind of a pain. Some would say it fits the Y, but it's actually for the 3, which the rear Y has more of a curve. For the front you would think it'd be easy, but I found a lot of bad quality and some that were just smaller.
Can you please list the ones you found that fit well? I've been considering the Tes+ ones, but I have months to go before my Y arrives.

Do you have photos?

I am about to get mine Stealth PPF'd and am going to see how the gloss black badges look on the satin matte

I got my T and dual motor emblems painted gun metal…looks incredible! Matches the gun metal or carbon rims.

Sportier look than chrome and not just black T or red T…the usual changes lol.

What do you guys think? The dual motor was ordered online to replace the flatter oem chrome ones. This badge slightly more 3D depth :)
This looks fantastic! Just picked up my new black MYP last week, and am getting clear XPEL ultimate fusion PPF in a couple weeks, but haven't been able to decide what to do about the badges. The company doing the PPF replaces the chrome Tesla badges with black ones, but I don't like how they get lost against the black car, and agree that you need some contrast. Was considering carbon fiber or pewter/gun metal, but couldn't find any of the latter as pre-made accessories. Did you plastidip yours?

This looks fantastic! Just picked up my new black MYP last week, and am getting clear XPEL ultimate fusion PPF in a couple weeks, but haven't been able to decide what to do about the badges. The company doing the PPF replaces the chrome Tesla badges with black ones, but I don't like how they get lost against the black car, and agree that you need some contrast. Was considering carbon fiber or pewter/gun metal, but couldn't find any of the latter as pre-made accessories. Did you plastidip yours?
Ya there are none pre made. Was frustrating

They removed the decals for PPF and the shop sent them out to be painted carbon/gunmetal satin finish. The ppf shop happen to know a painter but any auto paint shop could do it. They somehow colour matched as close as possible to the pewter charcoal/rims :) and then re attached the decals.

Dual Motor I opted to buy off Amazon a better version this oem in black/red line..and they painted this as well.

You could technically goto an auto store and buy some spray cans of close matching paint and have the ppf shop paint the black ones ?

Reactions: fseir
Ya there are none pre made. Was frustrating

They removed the decals for PPF and the shop sent them out to be painted carbon/gunmetal satin finish. The ppf shop happen to know a painter but any auto paint shop could do it. They somehow colour matched as close as possible to the pewter charcoal/rims :) and then re attached the decals.

Dual Motor I opted to buy off Amazon a better version this oem in black/red line..and they painted this as well.

You could technically goto an auto store and buy some spray cans of close matching paint and have the ppf shop paint the black ones ?
Thanks. I already ordered some badges and gunmetal gray plasti dip. Hopefully the color is fairly close to the rims. Your solution is probably far better, though, in terms of color match and durability.

Thanks. I already ordered some badges and gunmetal gray plasti dip. Hopefully the color is fairly close to the rims. Your solution is probably far better, though, in terms of color match and durability.
Just found another company that sells badges in a LOT of pre-made colors, including gunmetal. Ordered the front and back T logos and the performance dual motor, all in gunmetal. Note that you have to choose the dual motor version with the red underline in the drop down menu, if that’s what you want, or you could end up with the same color underline. Company is called emblemsonly. Not an endorsement, just posting that to save others some time and the trouble of trying to paint your own. They weren’t super cheap, but they get better reviews than the ones on Amazon, which seem to get complaints of the adhesive being too thick or not extending all the way to the pointy end of the T. Also, if you watch the top of the page, you may see a promo code appear periodically. Mine said Thursday Special, 20% off and express processing (not shipping) using promo code thursday11223. I’m guessing that probably changes daily, but make sure you don’t miss out on that to save a few bucks, which will more than cover the cost of shipping.

I was still able to cancel my Amazon order for the cheaper badges and plasti dip, too, so now I can relax and wait for my ppf appointment in a couple weeks. I’ll post some photos when I get the car back.

Reactions: samori01
My MY is black, just getting clear ppf on it. so still glossy black all around
I did a full clear PPF and ceramic coat on my midnight silver. So far so good. Much easier to maintain and much less worry about random road debris doing serious damage to the paint. I think I’m going to keep the factory chrome badges but I have been thinking about blacking them out as well.

Just found another company that sells badges in a LOT of pre-made colors, including gunmetal. Ordered the front and back T logos and the performance dual motor, all in gunmetal. Note that you have to choose the dual motor version with the red underline in the drop down menu, if that’s what you want, or you could end up with the same color underline. Company is called emblemsonly. Not an endorsement, just posting that to save others some time and the trouble of trying to paint your own. They weren’t super cheap, but they get better reviews than the ones on Amazon, which seem to get complaints of the adhesive being too thick or not extending all the way to the pointy end of the T. Also, if you watch the top of the page, you may see a promo code appear periodically. Mine said Thursday Special, 20% off and express processing (not shipping) using promo code thursday11223. I’m guessing that probably changes daily, but make sure you don’t miss out on that to save a few bucks, which will more than cover the cost of shipping.

I was still able to cancel my Amazon order for the cheaper badges and plasti dip, too, so now I can relax and wait for my ppf appointment in a couple weeks. I’ll post some photos when I get the car back.
Looks good! Hope the gun metal is a close match to the rims or else it’ll be gun metal, pewter/carbon rims, black trim…3 colours!
What I was trying to avoid for continuity in design and colour.

But hey it’s easy and done :)

Hope to see some good pics 👍🏽

Shipping took awhile, but I finally got my gunmetal badges from emblemsonly. I haven’t taken them out of the packaging yet, but the color is almost a perfect match to the uberturbine wheels, although it’s hard to capture through the plastic. Had to delay ppf to have paint correction scheduled, but I’ll post the after photos once I get everything installed.
ECB25BA8-EA8F-4F3D-952F-2761EF44B35C.jpeg