Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I pay $2k more to ensure solar install is complete before end of year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm located in California. Tesla contacted me to schedule my solar install. The problem is that I need to replace my roof before they install the panels, which I told them early on. Right now the roofer I chose is still booked out 5 weeks (tentative start date of 10/13). I'm getting really concerned that everything won't be completed with the solar install, including PG&E giving the green light to turn it on, before the end of the year. Not only because of the reduced tax incentive, but primarily because it seems that I'll fall under NEM 3.0 if I don't get it done by the end of the year, which I definitely don't want to happen.

I contacted another roofer who can start in less than two weeks, but he's $2k more than my original roofer. Should I pay the extra $2k to try to ensure everything is completed by the end of the year?

Along with the others, I would agree it is probably a wash as far as the ITC - bigger ITC this year but save money next year, both on the roofing and a decent chance Tesla drops prices. It is also worth noting that probably install completion is all you need for the ITC to be claimed.

However, I think your point on NEM 3.0 seems like the real issue. I don't live in CA, so I don't know all the details, but from what others posted, that does seem like it could make a major difference in the economics and is probably the much bigger concern. On that basis, I would be tempted to move sooner - as long as you can get a firm commitment from Tesla on their install date, as the thing that would suck the most would be paying the extra $2k and then still not getting everything done this year.

Reactions: nomis_nehc
Yes, again, the possibility of falling under NEM 3.0 is by far the larger issue for me. As far as I understand it, it is being implemented January 1, 2021, but I don't know that for sure and necessarily how negatively I'll be impacted.

Our consideration was based on other things but we put our deposit down first week in January. Then covid happened right before our solar portion was to be installed and that was before getting a main service panel upgrade that we hadn’t anticipated. Covid kept our city permit/inspections closed down for months and then of course there was a backlog of installs during which time some cities could move forward but not ours.

So our install didn’t happen until mid-August (got scheduling call in July but about a month wait for first possible date). One date was postponed due bad air quality from the wildfire smoke. Next week we have a maintenance visit to finish up a few things and commission our inverter (PWs were done) and then since we’ve had some other equipment moved we have drywall happening at end of month. At some point we will have our inspection, pay our balance owed and wait for PTO. Been a long road and not probably typical but you don’t know what can happen.

We were also motivated to want to get this done as soon as possible after hearing from @Vines that Santa Clara County’s Fire was changing code retroactively and we wanted to get our work done before these changes turned out to be widely adopted by other jurisdictions. We’re in SCC but not in that fire jurisdiction. We wanted our 3 PWs in our garage and didn’t want to incur rewiring our alarm system to include a heat monitor in our garage. Last I read some of this is up in the air for that area of Santa Clara County but I’m not sure those affected installs are happening.

Sorry this post is so long but it points out that crap and delays can happen so based on my experience I’d say spend the extra $2K if you are able and get yours done as soon as possible. Don’t know if you are subject to rolling blackouts or PSPS and working from home using internet and relying on your refrig/freezer or A/C but also good reasons. Good luck how ever you proceed. With these fires everywhere more people will be feeling the need to add solar and backup and Tesla will be doing installs for those that can move on it.

Last edited:
How long after the install does it typically take for the inspection/PTO process to take? Is it unrealistic at this point to assume it will be done by the end of the year?
It really depends. I have heard of getting all the way to PTO taking many months and then in some cases only 2 months. The actual install will be the shortest part of the process. Scheduling a crew, getting the paperwork to the right people, inspection, fixing anything found in the inspection, PTO processing, etc. will likely take much longer than the actual construction.

I am questioning whether getting this done this year is doable. You start losing workdays and paperwork stalls the closer we get to the holidays.

PGE is hard to predict, so I don't try to.

They have approved as fast as 2 days and as long as 2 months. Its rare for it to take more than 1 month from final inspection and paperwork submission. Mean is around 2-3 weeks about now but getting longer as the holidays approach.

I cannot speak to how fast that is all processed, depends on your installer, and their backlog.

On the other hand I have heard some people say their utility was super fast, like days.

My utility was actually the fastest part of the process for me. It was less than a week from when Tesla requested PTO from the utility until it had been approved and the new meter was installed.

Unfortunately that’s just one step in the process. It’s was 8 weeks from when the install finished until it was inspected. And then it was another week and a half from when the inspection was complete until Tesla actually requested PTO from the utility.

The time it takes to get PTO is dependent on Tesla (for submitting documentation, scheduling the inspection, and paying the utility), your local permitting jurisdiction (for inspecting your install and possibly updating the permit) and your utility (for approving the PTO and possibly installing a new meter).

If everything goes perfectly smoothly it’s certainly possible for this to be finished in a week or two, but there are a lot of moving parts and it seems that most people see delays in at least one part of the process.