Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I return the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is not a magic autopilot...yet.

IF your expectations are that it will completely drive your car for you, you will be disappointed.

Two things will happen. Over time, your Autopilot will get more capable, and you will become more aware of what it can and cannot do.

For first time users I always suggest they try out the system on an open highway, and in one of the center lanes. You will see the car keep in the lane and adjust to the traffic ahead and around you. It will go around curves and slow down/stop, when the car in front of you does the same.

Don't initially use it in the far right lane. Merging traffic, poorly marked lanes and strange off ramps can confuse the system enough to make you feel uncomfortable.

Little by little try more difficult situations, until you get knowledgeble and comfortable on the capabilities of your car. After a while you will appreciate what it can do, and avoid situations where it can cause anxiety.

It is a learning curve, like many other things. Stick with it and discover an entire new way of travel.

I did an extended test drive of a X along with several shorter M3 drives and decided FSD was a ways off. Ended up ordering and returning an M3 for full refund in October as it was thudding under foot when driving up/down hills. Would have kept it had they offered to fix it w/in the return period, but they said nothing was wrong despite a service bulletin on the exact issue I was having.

Currently have another M3 on order. I doubt they will refund the FSD 7 K, but that would be the way to go if they would do it as it sounds like you will enjoy the car once you lower your FSD expectations.

Did you lose out on tax title and license fees from the DMV?

So you bought the car then researched it and don’t see what you like? Sounds like buyers remorse to me. And using FSD as a justification.
I was thinking the same thing, but guess you said it better. There is so much information out there that I was able to find even 3 years ago that I knew exactly what I was getting before I bought it. Frankly, I am a bit puzzled by the OP comment. One sentence says loves everything about the Tesla, but very next line says FSD is trash. Doesn't sound like 100% to me ;) I guess I am just having one of those brain dead days :D

it is so obvious EVERYONE mostly forgets Tesla is a computer on tires! that being said one can't forget or deny that computers need TLC and there r tricks to keep it functioning well..but sometimes perfect isn't always available..keep in mind there r work arounds & shortcuts & remedies that one can employ. This is a computer on wheels ...perfect 100% of the time is UNREALISTIC

• Love
Reactions: jboy210 and mswlogo
I do hope that service will get incrementally better similar to S/W improvements that we see every few weeks.

I have expected FSD not be 100% ready and didn't buy it two months ago. Bit disappointed with lack of auto-parking (believe available in most of luxury ICE vehicles) and lack of regen in low/warm temperature (hope it is just a bug and yes I do have sched. charges but it gives me 10-20% regen only). Believe low regen means that i have to pay for brake maintenance on regular basis and was never an issue on nissan leaf for example.

That's the real problem. It's great that TACC and Auto Steer are now standard, but the neutered version of Auto Steer is pretty annoying, it should have at least included lane changing.

Most people who dropped $3k on FSD before knew they were going to be waiting awhile before they got anything. Now with the extra features of EAP wrapped into the $7k FSD package, you're forced to go all in to get essentially nothing newer than what was delivered in EAP.

I think the whole thing would be easier to swallow if Tesla changed how they handled FSD and trade-ins. Since Tesla apparently low-balls trade-in offers by excluding value of software upgrades they can add for free, it would make sense if Tesla allowed you to transfer FSD from your trade to your new vehicle. People wouldn't feel like they're getting screwed as bad on the trade price and it wouldn't feel like there's as much pressure for features to be delivered now and Tesla would be able to tack an FSD sale on the car when sold used. Obviously private or 3rd party sales would leave software with the vehicle as it does now.

So if you buy a full FSD Tesla and later trade it in for a new Tesla they don't give you credit for the FSD or anything close to $7K. That seems really unfair and then they expect you to shell out another $7K for FSD on your new vehicle? That can't be right, can it?

So if you buy a full FSD Tesla and later trade it in for a new Tesla they don't give you credit for the FSD or anything close to $7K. That seems really unfair and then they expect you to shell out another $7K for FSD on your new vehicle? That can't be right, can it?
It's unclear exactly how Tesla values Tesla trade-ins, but what is clear is that they're not working from wholesale auction prices like they do for other trades. Working theory at this point is they don't seem to value software only options, since they can turn those on or off at will. If you buy a used Tesla off their site that was originally sold with FSD, you can ask them to remove FSD before you buy it. If wouldn't make sense for them to pay for something they might take off at resale.

If you sold it or traded it, you’d get some value for FSD. It’s no different than lots of software purchases that are linked to hardware.

I do hope that service will get incrementally better similar to S/W improvements that we see every few weeks.

I have expected FSD not be 100% ready and didn't buy it two months ago. Bit disappointed with lack of auto-parking (believe available in most of luxury ICE vehicles) and lack of regen in low/warm temperature (hope it is just a bug and yes I do have sched. charges but it gives me 10-20% regen only). Believe low regen means that i have to pay for brake maintenance on regular basis and was never an issue on nissan leaf for example.
just my personal experience..I have had auto parking on 2 vehicles..used it once to actually park & maybe once to demo..one can park faster than it takes in auto mode!!

I bought FSD twice now with eyes wide open.
Love the Parking feature. Is it "worth" it just for that? From the responses here the answer is a resounding no......but it is for me.
If I could get just the auto park without the other features I would.....but it's not how it's bundled.

I bought a brand new Model X with FSD on Monday.

The car itself is great. I love everything about it. I've driven 300 miles already.

The FSD is trash. I was sold all these fanciful dreams about self parking, off-ramp navigation, auto lane changes, etc. They did not mention how buggy it is. It doesn't work well in the rain or in the snow. It doesn't work well with lane mergers.

The only times I feel comfortable with it is in heavy stop and go traffic and mostly empty highways. They keep saying you have to be attentive, which I am. But at that point, why am I paying a massive surcharge for FSD and autopilot? I could buy another electric vehicle for 30k-40k less, which drives just as well and I'd be using mostly the same driver assistance features.

Half the time my AP has limited blindspot detection and lane changing. I wanted to get it checked out and they told me the next time they could service it is TWO WEEKS from now. Are you kidding me? This is the experience for a brand new 100k car?

I wanted to love my Tesla. Maybe my expectations on AP were too high. Does it get better? I'm seriously considering returning the car within the refund period.
Well, the FSD is "state of the art" trash. And it gets better with every couple of updates to the firmware. Early next year there will be a step change improvement when you get a version that makes use of the new FSD computer. So if you want to see what the next level of "trash" is you'll get to see soon. It is unlikely, however, that it will meet your expectations.

So, if I were you, I'd return the vehicle ASAP. Wait for FSD to be declared acceptable at level 4 or 5 by regulators, rent one on Turo to test it for a reasonable length trip, and then buy one then. That may be next year or next decade depending on the speed of progress.

Since I'm me rather than you, I've had two cars with the FSD option since December, 2017. And I've been enjoying watching them slowly get better. I'll continue enjoying them as they both get upgraded to the new FSD computer and become self-driving machines. As I quite enjoy driving them, I'm not at all sure that the destination will be better than the journey.

You, in contrast, should just bail since it's making you unhappy. Next time do your homework and you won't be surprised.

Reactions: shinytop