Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I sell my 2016 Model X 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 X 90D with about 115k miles.

Has all the options checked. Yes unlimited SC01 supercharging. upgraded MCU. Degradation is minimal and I’m pretty happy with it. I also have another X: 2018 P100D.

Should I sell the 2016? Keep? Economically speaking it doesn’t make sense to keep the car if I don’t plan to extensively use it. Both the X has unlimited supercharging. I’m trying to figure out if depreciation will accelerate now that more mfr are coming out with suv EVs, or might it be minimal? The car has had its share of issues, but nothing out of the ordinary. Upkeep costs has been fantastically low.

I think I could get $40k for it. Not much but I think it’s fair.

Any general thoughts or things I should consider?

Since you already have a 2018 P100D with USC why keep it? Its only going to depreciate faster than the inflation rate. Get what you can while you can.

Now if you only had the 2016 X and were happy with it (me) then you could hold out hoping for a reasonably priced new battery down the lane sometime.

Reactions: El joe and EbS-P
How often do you use it? Do you need the money? Do you have the spare real estate to keep it safe from elements? Generally keep depreciating assets around when you no longer need them? As you get closer to the 8 year battery warranty clock, the value is going to drop precipitously. It's a 2016, so depending on when you bought it, it may not be worth $40K already. Finally, have a crystal ball to predict what Elon will do with the prices in the future? More that the depreciation, it's his whims that have affected the price of Tesla vehicles. The right time to sell would have been last year, that's where the crystal ball would've come in handy.

Breaking today:

Tesla has removed the Standard Range Model S and Model X in the US and dropped prices up to 19%. The Model X is now eligible for the $7,500 EV tax credit!

New lineup & prices:
• Model S LR: $74,990 (from $88,490)
• Model S Plaid: $89,990 (from $108,490)

• Model X LR: $79,990 (from $98,490)
• Model X Plaid: $89,990 (from $108,490)

All Model S and Model X colors are now free .

How often do you use it? Do you need the money? Do you have the spare real estate to keep it safe from elements? Generally keep depreciating assets around when you no longer need them? As you get closer to the 8 year battery warranty clock, the value is going to drop precipitously. It's a 2016, so depending on when you bought it, it may not be worth $40K already. Finally, have a crystal ball to predict what Elon will do with the prices in the future? More that the depreciation, it's his whims that have affected the price of Tesla vehicles. The right time to sell would have been last year, that's where the crystal ball would've come in handy.
At this point we're running around with 5 EVs, and soon to be 6th with our Rivian coming in. We drive a lot (visiting family across Texas), so driving it is a matter of preference. I could easily plan it out and put another 100k in 2 years if I wanted to, but we've started to spread the mileage out more evenly (sold my last Model S with 280k miles last year).

Insurance is becoming insanely expensive for these EVs. I'm paying almost $12k a year to keep these things insured which is just stupid money at this point. Unfortunately removing one or two EVs doesn't really drop the price substantially.

I figure in 2-3 years the $17k new battery today will be maybe $10k - $12k.

Honestly I'd be keeping at this point for curiosity and to see how much more than the 210k I could get out of it.

Breaking today:

Tesla has removed the Standard Range Model S and Model X in the US and dropped prices up to 19%. The Model X is now eligible for the $7,500 EV tax credit!

New lineup & prices:
• Model S LR: $74,990 (from $88,490)
• Model S Plaid: $89,990 (from $108,490)

• Model X LR: $79,990 (from $98,490)
• Model X Plaid: $89,990 (from $108,490)

All Model S and Model X colors are now free .
This is great news but I think someone trying to buy a 2016 for $30k - $40k isn't the same demographic as someone buying a new one for $80k - $100k. It probably hurts the 2016 values a little, but not nearly as much as the 2020-2023s. My guess. but let's see.

Since you already have a 2018 P100D with USC why keep it? Its only going to depreciate faster than the inflation rate. Get what you can while you can.

Now if you only had the 2016 X and were happy with it (me) then you could hold out hoping for a reasonably priced new battery down the lane sometime.
I'm starting to appreciate the supercharger network after buying my first non Tesla EV earlier this year. EA works great, fantastic charging speeds that puts the SC to shame, but its not readily available. I still remember my first SC use back in 2014, it was just between major cities in Texas....

Today, we have 2 superchargers within 5 miles of our home, both in different directions. I go to the grocery store, and come out with a mostly charged car ready to go. I'm lovin' this part of my 2016 and 2018 teslas.

Reactions: aesculus