Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I return the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like buyer’s remorse. Autopilot has made significant progress over the last to years with each new update but if you’re expecting a self driving car you’re going to be disappointed for at least a year, maybe indefinitely.

Return the car and move on but if you think another EV for $30k less drives anything like a Tesla I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Reactions: jboy210 and VikH
Have had each Tesla excluding the Roadster since 2013 and have never had any issues with service. At some point you have to look and see if it's actually you. I think OP should return the car if they are not happy
This we refer to as "exception to the rule", because when the very owner of the company has to go on record to address service issues, and TONS of owners on this very site either agree with or comment on them, then no.

How Musk is Trying to Address Tesla's Service Issues - Market Realist

Tesla's biggest problem is its customer service, according to a new Bernstein survey

Yes, being able to get the $7k FSD back would be ideal. I think I'd be happy with that. Unfortunately, they told me I'd have to return it and then order a new one to do that.

Even if you don't like NOA, the lane change works well, parking pretty good and summons is a fun trick ?

But if you are really unhappy and they won't turn FSD off, you should just return it and then get a new one without FSD.

Have had each Tesla excluding the Roadster since 2013 and have never had any issues with service. At some point you have to look and see if it's actually you. I think OP should return the car if they are not happy

So you enjoy waiting weeks for appointments, weeks for parts, and the inability to ever contact a human outside of the service appointment. Okay.

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
Buyers remorse is painful, but that being said what else is there that is even close to what you get with an X? Every other luxury ICE is tech fixed. The same outdated junk with different color schemes and leather choices. Bleeding edge tech has its price and you have to decide if it is right for you. Good luck.

From the way everyone talked about the AP/FSD, I thought it would be much further along. I did read reviews of unhappy people. I dismissed them as there are always negative reviews. The positive reviews outnumbered them.

AP functionality is limited in snowy conditions and when roads do not have clear lane markings. This applies to all drivers assistance systems on the market currently.

I did an extended test drive of a X along with several shorter M3 drives and decided FSD was a ways off. Ended up ordering and returning an M3 for full refund in October as it was thudding under foot when driving up/down hills. Would have kept it had they offered to fix it w/in the return period, but they said nothing was wrong despite a service bulletin on the exact issue I was having.

Currently have another M3 on order. I doubt they will refund the FSD 7 K, but that would be the way to go if they would do it as it sounds like you will enjoy the car once you lower your FSD expectations.

return it. fsd is in beta right now. lot of these features coming out have glitches. but people enjoy being on the cutting edge of tech. no other oem comes close with these features.

maybe you can revisit the car in about 3-4 years when fsd is flushed out (but costlier).

also if you feel the range/features of a half priced ev are similar even more reason to return it and move on.

No SUV, handles better. No SUV is safer. No SUV is more efficient. No SUV is faster.
That’s not true.

No manufacturer offers FSD, you won’t get that with any other brand. You should have done more research, but at the same time tesla selling the FSD option is a bit shady.
If that’s your biggest complaint then I say just keep the car, it’s amazing even without self driving.
Service sucks and there’s some serious wait times depending on your area, that’s something that’s been going on for a while as well and doesn’t appear to be changing anytime soon. So if that’s something you can’t live with then return the car and move on.

That’s not true.

No manufacturer offers FSD, you won’t get that with any other brand. You should have done more research, but at the same time tesla selling the FSD option is a bit shady.
If that’s your biggest complaint then I say just keep the car, it’s amazing even without self driving.
Service sucks and there’s some serious wait times depending on your area, that’s something that’s been going on for a while as well and doesn’t appear to be changing anytime soon. So if that’s something you can’t live with then return the car and move on.

He will drive the wheels off that car before FSD is a reality. I'd like to know where disappointed got this idea of awesome FSD? The internet or the salesperson?

Reactions: AMPd
He will drive the wheels off that car before FSD is a reality. I'd like to know where disappointed got this idea of awesome FSD? The internet or the salesperson?
Absolutely, true FSD will not be a reality for a long time, no car on the road today will be in service at that time, which is why the whole tesla being an appreciating asset that Elon Musk tried to push was complete BS.

I bought a brand new Model X with FSD on Monday.

The car itself is great. I love everything about it. I've driven 300 miles already.

The FSD is trash. I was sold all these fanciful dreams about self parking, off-ramp navigation, auto lane changes, etc. They did not mention how buggy it is. It doesn't work well in the rain or in the snow. It doesn't work well with lane mergers.

The only times I feel comfortable with it is in heavy stop and go traffic and mostly empty highways. They keep saying you have to be attentive, which I am. But at that point, why am I paying a massive surcharge for FSD and autopilot? I could buy another electric vehicle for 30k-40k less, which drives just as well and I'd be using mostly the same driver assistance features.

Half the time my AP has limited blindspot detection and lane changing. I wanted to get it checked out and they told me the next time they could service it is TWO WEEKS from now. Are you kidding me? This is the experience for a brand new 100k car?

I wanted to love my Tesla. Maybe my expectations on AP were too high. Does it get better? I'm seriously considering returning the car within the refund period.
if you bough the car for FSD or any of the automated driving features then quit now,. A cursory read of this forum or any other would convince you that it smoke and mirrors (along with a lot of other promised "features") I bought my car for the performance, comfort and convenience of superchargers

• Disagree
Reactions: rush6410
I bought a brand new Model X with FSD on Monday.

The car itself is great. I love everything about it. I've driven 300 miles already.

The FSD is trash. I was sold all these fanciful dreams about self parking, off-ramp navigation, auto lane changes, etc. They did not mention how buggy it is. It doesn't work well in the rain or in the snow. It doesn't work well with lane mergers.

The only times I feel comfortable with it is in heavy stop and go traffic and mostly empty highways. They keep saying you have to be attentive, which I am. But at that point, why am I paying a massive surcharge for FSD and autopilot? I could buy another electric vehicle for 30k-40k less, which drives just as well and I'd be using mostly the same driver assistance features.

Half the time my AP has limited blindspot detection and lane changing. I wanted to get it checked out and they told me the next time they could service it is TWO WEEKS from now. Are you kidding me? This is the experience for a brand new 100k car?

I wanted to love my Tesla. Maybe my expectations on AP were too high. Does it get better? I'm seriously considering returning the car within the refund period.
Obviously you were not on this forum prior to purchasing? You can read many posts concerning your issues. I'm a little surprised that folks buy these cars without researching being that they are by most expensive vehicles. The FSD obviously is in the future and in my opinion especially in Ca. where I live is many years out. However since FSD was not selling Tesla made changes from purchasing EAP that included summon, now you have to purchase FSD to receive the only thing that will works almost flawlessly. They did make auto pilot standard but really the only thing I ever use is the summon which means you get sucked into purchasing FSD. I say if you tend to keep cars for more than 5 years keep it...you will see noticeable improvements but understand you may not see actual FSD for several years at best! Beautiful car!!

Personally, I absolutely love AutoSteer. It doesn't make the car drive itself, but between the two of us I find we keep in the lane a lot better if something is distracting. Despite the false warnings it's saved my butt a few times.

I would NEVER take my hands off the wheel or not pay attention. It's my life on the line. It is not that good, nor are other drivers on the street.

BUT, I wouldn't pay $7k for it at this point in time. The basic AP level solves my needs.

Smart Summon is a party trick. Perpendicular parking is easy for me. I don't frequently parallel park, but I do use that feature. But not for $7k.

Disclaimer: I do have FSD, purchased back when it was cheaper and things were bundled differently. But I do advise people that ask about my car that I don't think it's worth it right now.

Last edited:
BUT, I wouldn't pay $7k for it at this point in time. The basic AP level solves my needs.

Smart Summon is a party trick. Perpendicular parking is easy for me. I don't frequently parallel park, but I do use that feature. But not for $7k.

That's the real problem. It's great that TACC and Auto Steer are now standard, but the neutered version of Auto Steer is pretty annoying, it should have at least included lane changing.

Most people who dropped $3k on FSD before knew they were going to be waiting awhile before they got anything. Now with the extra features of EAP wrapped into the $7k FSD package, you're forced to go all in to get essentially nothing newer than what was delivered in EAP.

I think the whole thing would be easier to swallow if Tesla changed how they handled FSD and trade-ins. Since Tesla apparently low-balls trade-in offers by excluding value of software upgrades they can add for free, it would make sense if Tesla allowed you to transfer FSD from your trade to your new vehicle. People wouldn't feel like they're getting screwed as bad on the trade price and it wouldn't feel like there's as much pressure for features to be delivered now and Tesla would be able to tack an FSD sale on the car when sold used. Obviously private or 3rd party sales would leave software with the vehicle as it does now.

Reactions: bnsfengineer