Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should i sell my 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my first Tesla in the fall of 2017 a 2013 85D i thought i had woken up in the future. I could not believe i could charge my car at home and go so fast in a huge sedan. Now since then i bought a used 2015 85D last year in April. Since then i have had 4 door handles go out, and issues with my battery. I was affected by the 6/19 software update that capped my battery and reduced the charging speed at super chargers. I worked with my local Tesla service center here in MN and they replaced my battery with a 90D thus my 85D is now a 90D.

I have always bought directly from Tesla used so the cars i have driven have always been covered under warranty. I also travel over 20k miles a year so i thought man this is a great concept. I am questioning the longevity of the batteries due to the issues i have had along with other older 85D S owners. I am also irritated by having to charge and pre-plan every route i drive so i don't run out of juice. I am also annoyed by the fact that i pay more in taxes and insurance than pretty much any other car out their.

I guess my question is if you new these things and potential issues with your battery not able to charge as fast or go as far would you sell?

Reactions: Chaserr
to each is their own....if you cann afford it go for a long range but there is no need to upgrade to a 100d for 40 more miles...Or better yet just sit it our for like another year to see what new battery improvements they bring to their newer models.

• Informative
Reactions: mjmiron
You should now have a fairly stable configuration.
Early tesla batteries had some issues, but the later ones seem to be going pretty good.

For some reason I suspect the vehicles in the price will command similar taxes and insurance.
Not really sure why you have to pre-plan every route. Sitting in the car and saying "Navigate to xxx" really isn't that big of deal to me.

But if these are too big of issues for you, then sure, get rid of it. Someone would love to get a good deal on a car.

You should now have a fairly stable configuration.
Early tesla batteries had some issues, but the later ones seem to be going pretty good.

For some reason I suspect the vehicles in the price will command similar taxes and insurance.
Not really sure why you have to pre-plan every route. Sitting in the car and saying "Navigate to xxx" really isn't that big of deal to me.

But if these are too big of issues for you, then sure, get rid of it. Someone would love to get a good deal on a car.

Thanks for the input I have to plan my routes with super chargers as I travel for business a lot which is usually 250+ miles round trip in some cases.

I definitely understand that those 100 mile trips can be in areas that don't have access to Superchargers. But there does seem to be a fair number of Destination chargers, ( I know, slower than preferred) but there is a fair number of Superchargers spread around Minneapolis.
So while it adds time, it looks to be achievable.

But then again, especially with cooler temperatures, a EV may not be your most optimal choice. Need to wait for the Cybertrk

...I am questioning the longevity of the batteries due to the issues i have had along with other older 85D S owners. I am also irritated by having to charge and pre-plan every route i drive so i don't run out of juice. I am also annoyed by the fact that i pay more in taxes and insurance than pretty much any other car out their.

I guess my question is if you new these things and potential issues with your battery not able to charge as fast or go as far would you sell?

Questions I would ask myself to generate some pros/cons...

Do you have a baseline of how much extra time (daily/weekly/monthly) is added for having to supercharge vs non-stop driving in an ICE would be?
What is the value of the (assuming free) supercharging vs the fuel you'd have to use?
Are you getting supercharging, or having to use destination chargers / paying for public chargers?
Would you be selling to move into a 100D, or just going back to ICE?
Would you use AP 2.5/3.0 if you moved into a newer vehicle?
Do you have frequent downtime due to service visits on the vehicle, or are the door handles (hopefully done by a mobile ranger) and battery swap out the only issues?
Are the insurance savings over other vehicles significant or minimal? (i.e. my 2015 85D started as 10% more than my 2009 Malibu and is currently 25% more than my 2019 Silverado to insure, so trending the wrong way).

• Informative
I was affected by the 6/19 software update that capped my battery
Have you posted screenshots from a CANBUS reader showing you are voltage capped at 100%? They are looking for concrete proof of affected 90 packs in the class action thread.

I am in the same boat you are in now, and won't sell until this is all settled. Tesla will probably have to recall our batteries, meaning we will either be upgraded or at least returned to normal. That should improve resale later if you can afford the crippling impact right now.

At the moment if I do sell I will have to buy a Porsche; I would rather get another Tesla for less money with more power and range, but I won't while this issue is outstanding so that is another reason for me to wait.

• Love
Have you posted screenshots from a CANBUS reader showing you are voltage capped at 100%? They are looking for concrete proof of affected 90 packs in the class action thread.

I am in the same boat you are in now, and won't sell until this is all settled. Tesla will probably have to recall our batteries, meaning we will either be upgraded or at least returned to normal. That should improve resale later if you can afford the crippling impact right now.

At the moment if I do sell I will have to buy a Porsche; I would rather get another Tesla for less money with more power and range, but I won't while this issue is outstanding so that is another reason for me to wait.

I had my capped battery replaced so the one I have is not capped.

When you say they worked with you to replace your battery to a 90D, did they do that for free?
When you say they worked with you to replace your battery to a 90D, did they do that for free?

I had just bought the car in April with 264 usable miles at 100% and with the cap it reduced it to 243 in June 2019. So after much complaining to the local service center they replaced my battery for no cost due to loss or usable capacity ie capping and slower charging. Here is the thread their are a lot of other affected owners Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

I had just bought the car in April with 264 usable miles at 100% and with the cap it reduced it to 243 in June 2019. So after much complaining to the local service center they replaced my battery for no cost due to loss or usable capacity ie capping and slower charging. Here is the thread their are a lot of other affected owners Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Very interesting. I bought my P85D in April 2019, and it came with 2018.50.6. I've disregarded all update prompts because I'm afraid to lose range and supercharging speed, but have dealt with other issues that may or may not be fixed in newer updates. I guess if I had assurance that Tesla would have my back if I'm capped, then I'd be willing to continue with updates. Glad to know they at least had your back.

I remember that. Your replacement battery was still capped initially right? You were the first to discover the capping was a software configuration imposed by the car and not something in the battery itself! They had to uncap you separately from battery replacement.

@Carlog Stay on 2018.50 and block wifi and 3G access. tesla is remote updating people on older firmwares to try and get the downgrade firmwares (2019.16+) on every car. You aren't missing out on anything good anyway. I wish I had stayed.

@Chaserr I can forget the WiFi networks, but how do I block 3G access (BTW mine has the LTE upgrade)? Only thing I would like it built in Spotify (instead of bluetooth from my phone) and text messaging (which I'm not sure even works on MCU1), but you're right- there isn't much else.

I remember that. Your replacement battery was still capped initially right? You were the first to discover the capping was a software configuration imposed by the car and not something in the battery itself! They had to uncap you separately from battery replacement.

@Carlog Stay on 2018.50 and block wifi and 3G access. tesla is remote updating people on older firmwares to try and get the downgrade firmwares (2019.16+) on every car. You aren't missing out on anything good anyway. I wish I had stayed.
The Replacement was not capped it was a 90d refurbished with 274 chargeable miles I feel very lucky.