Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I wait for the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get why anyone would buy a hybrid. In addition to the batteries, motor(s) you still have the gas engine and all of the subsystems that go with it (exhaust, radiator, emissions controls, filters, etc).
Because it's the lowest-emissions vehicle I can afford that meets my needs. My roundtrip commute is 120 mi, with no charging at work. Even if they do ever get the chargers in that they keep talking about, in the winter that would still be outside the range of a Leaf or any other pure EV that I can afford. Like the OP, even a used Model S is out of reach -- the credit union would just laugh in my face if I asked for a loan on one. :smile:

aaron23, do you have to get something soon? I'm trying to just wait. Our cars have a lot of miles on them, but they're both running fine. When you run the numbers it's usually cheaper to keep what you have, unless the repair bills are really piling up. My oldest car will hit 200k before the end of the year, but as long as it's working great or the repairs are less than a car payment, there's no reason for me to get something else. If it were to take a major dump before the Model 3 gets here, I would probably get something old-ish and cheap with good reliability just to tide me over. But I'm used to no frills so I won't miss any.

The more I spend now, the less I will have to spend on the model 3 later. It will be the first brand new car I've ever bought and I'm not going to skimp on my wants. Thankfully, super-high performance is not one of my desires so I won't need to spring for any insane mode should they offer one. I'll be coming off a Toyota Echo, so even the base model will be a massive step up in every respect. :)

Your best option right now is one of these

Volt-siblings-front-view-2.jpg

Volt is a cool and great car, wouldn't recommend any other car. I know a guy that just recently traded his BMW M3 in for a Volt and absolutely loves it. There's also a guy on the Volt forum that traded his M5 for a Volt... but I think he has a Tesla now.