Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should keep charging while going away for 3 weeks?

Should keep car charged or not?

• Keep charging no more than 50%

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Keep charging no more than 80%

Votes: 56 75.7%
  • Keep unplug

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious about this myself. I use scheduled charging due to Time of Use rates in my area, and it appears that once the scheduled charge has completed the vehicle won't automatically start charging until the charger cable is removed and reinserted. I haven't had the opportunity to test this myself yet since I drive the car every day and have only had it for 6 weeks, so no vacations yet.

This is exactly how mine works as well.

Something is wrong then. That’s the point of keeping it plugged in. The Model S started charging again when SOC dropped by 3%. I’ve not personally checked on the Model 3 threshold but others have reported a similar value.

So in the Model S if you set it to 80% it'll stay at 80% for days while plugged in? Model 3, in my experience, does not work this way. The manual says it should, but it's unclear when it starts to charge itself again. Perhaps once it hits a certain threshold?

So in the Model S if you set it to 80% it'll stay at 80% for days while plugged in? Model 3, in my experience, does not work this way. The manual says it should, but it's unclear when it starts to charge itself again. Perhaps once it hits a certain threshold?
Not stay exactly at 80%, that would require the charging circuit to run too often unnecessarily. In the Model S when you set charge at 80% and it drops to 77% with vampire drain it will charge back up to 80%, and continue cycling like that. So it charges back up every few days when left plugged in long term. The Model 3 should do this as well, but I’m not sure if it’s the same threshold of 3%.

Not stay exactly at 80%, that would require the charging circuit to run too often unnecessarily. In the Model S when you set charge at 80% and it drops to 77% with vampire drain it will charge back up to 80%, and continue cycling like that. So it charges back up every few days when left plugged in long term. The Model 3 should do this as well, but I’m not sure if it’s the same threshold of 3%.
We'll have to try that out, thanks.

You'll have to google that one haha. He's being mean.

The manual says to keep it plugged in.

1qOdBcq.png

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf#page=124

Thank you so much for google for me! I really appreciate your research!