Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y…going away for 3 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's in a garage (not outside), then plug it in, and set the charging level to about 60%,. If you can't plug it in, be sure to turn off Sentry and cabin climate control, because those will eat up your battery power. You'll still lose a bit of power over 3 months to battery maintenance, perhaps 5% a month based on my experience, but if you leave it at 50% or 60%, you'll still have lots.

Reactions: KevinT3141
it's in a garage (not outside), then plug it in, and set the charging level to about 60%.

50%. If it's not being driven for months, there's just no reason to charge above the lowest amount that the car allows.

Set it to 50%, and if you require more upon return, just bump it up. You could do that the night before while sitting in the airport on the other side of the world. Zero reasons not to leave it low (but plugged in).

Reactions: BrandX
I park my 2018 RWD model 3 for three and a half months every winter In an unheated but fully insulated attached garage. I charge to 85% and leave it unplugged. It loses very close to 0.5 kWh/day. Over the 5 winters I’ve done this the battery is down to the low 30’s when I get it out.

• Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
I park my 2018 RWD model 3 for three and a half months every winter In an unheated but fully insulated attached garage. I charge to 85% and leave it unplugged. It loses very close to 0.5 kWh/day. Over the 5 winters I’ve done this the battery is down to the low 30’s when I get it out.
Similar experience here with our 2021 M3LR. ~0.5 kWh/day or less, over 2 months sitting in the basement of our condo. Just don't use Sentry mode, and don't check on it with Tesla app all the time (that wakes it up from deep sleep).

Reactions: 03DSG
FWIW
Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended tire pressure. If a vehicle is left stationary for too long, the tires could develop flat spots as the weight of the vehicle presses down on the tires' footprints. This process occurs at a faster rate in colder temperatures and in vehicles equipped with performance tires or low-profile tires.

In some cases, merely having someone drive the car for a while will bring the tires up to their normal operating temperature and get rid of any flat spots. In more severe cases, a flat spot can become a permanent part of the tire and it will need to be replaced.

If your car will be in storage for more than 30 days, consider taking the wheels off and placing the car on jack stands at all four corners. This step requires more work, but it can save you from needing a new set of tires. Your tires will be in much better shape when you return if they haven't been bearing the weight of the vehicle for a month or more.