Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should keep charging while going away for 3 weeks?

Should keep car charged or not?

• Keep charging no more than 50%

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Keep charging no more than 80%

Votes: 56 75.7%
  • Keep unplug

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I drive Model 3, and I do need everyone who drives Tesla especially Model 3’s opinions.

I’m going away for 3 weeks. I live in Toronto, we are experiencing really cold winter in Toronto here. I’m wondering should I keep my car charged while I am away? Or I need to unplug until I’m coming back after 3 weeks. The battery drops very quick in cold weather.

Please give advice as soon as possible, because I am leaving next Sunday.

Thank you so much for everyone’s help!

Wendy

Here is what I have been doing for when I leave town:
The night before I leave I charge to 80% and then set the charge to 50% and leave the car plugged.
I have left for up to 10 days and haven't been to the situation where vampire drain makes it to 50% and kicks off the charge.
Then when I land I set the charge back to 80% as I normally charge in a daily basis.

...advice

The manual says clearly that there is no advantage in unplugging your car when you are not driving.

Of course, if there's no plugging possibility at work then don't plug it in but if there's one, you should plug it in.

It's the same when your car is at home. Plug it in whether you will use your car often or leave it there for vacation.

On the other hand, my understanding is: There is no advantage to let your battery drop its State of Charge more than necessary.

That means there is no advantage to charge it up at 80% then set your limit down to 50% and let it loses its charge down to 50% while you are on vacation.

I think your battery lives longer and has more cycles if State of Charge is narrow rather than wide.

That means if you only drive off 5% a day, plug it in and let it charge back from 75% to 80% every day rather than driving off for 6 days to use 30% then charge it back up from 50% to 80% every 6 days.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Hi everyone,

I drive Model 3, and I do need everyone who drives Tesla especially Model 3’s opinions.

I’m going away for 3 weeks. I live in Toronto, we are experiencing really cold winter in Toronto here. I’m wondering should I keep my car charged while I am away? Or I need to unplug until I’m coming back after 3 weeks. The battery drops very quick in cold weather.

Wendy
I guess you haven’t RTFM, have you? Not even the battery section that strongly advises you to keep it plugged in?

• Plugged in is safest and recommended by Tesla
  • 3 weeks isn't a long time in the scope of the battery's overall lifetime
  • Setting max SOC between 50% and 55% is probably the ultimate technical choice for battery longevity
  • Setting max SOC to 80% is more practical (you return to a car with 80% SOC and it probably is < 1/100 of 1% different than the technically ideal 50% SOC)
  • Take the other's advice and don't overthink this, I suspect that you are splitting hairs

Reactions: kbecks13
Hi everyone,

Wendy
I've left my Model 3 plugged in for a month, 3 weeks, 2 weeks.... But, this is in Florida. The battery is designed to not "overcharge" and to be operable (tho very sluggish) down to about -20°F. Some people remotely start to heat their car for about 30 minutes in really frigid weather.

50% is considered battery neutral on these batteries. for long term storage, that is where you want to leave it. for 3 weeks it really doen't matter, especially compared to 80%. Either way, leave it plugged in if you can. And don't worry about it, the model 3 BMS is great.

Reactions: kbecks13
The manual says clearly that there is no advantage in unplugging your car when you are not driving.

Of course, if there's no plugging possibility at work then don't plug it in but if there's one, you should plug it in.

It's the same when your car is at home. Plug it in whether you will use your car often or leave it there for vacation.

On the other hand, my understanding is: There is no advantage to let your battery drop its State of Charge more than necessary.

That means there is no advantage to charge it up at 80% then set your limit down to 50% and let it loses its charge down to 50% while you are on vacation.

I think your battery lives longer and has more cycles if State of Charge is narrow rather than wide.

That means if you only drive off 5% a day, plug it in and let it charge back from 75% to 80% every day rather than driving off for 6 days to use 30% then charge it back up from 50% to 80% every 6 days.

Thank you so much for your kind suggestions!

Reactions: mongo
I think it's important to clarify that keeping it plugged in doesn't mean it's charging all the time.

It simply means it will charge to whatever limit you set it, and then it will stop. Sure it will maintain that charge, but it won't be all the time.

If leaving it plugged-in I'd set the charge time to 1AM (or something like that), and I'd set the limit to 50%. That way once a day it will charge back up to 50% if needed.