Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla get incentives for building/expanding its charging network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they should, but the folks that make the rules may require participating installations to be able to charge different flavors of connectors/cars to get federal funds. If that's the case, I would think that Tesla would be willing to put in some DC FC stations with Chademo and CCS connectors, as well as their own SC stations. As I recall, they've already done this in Pasadena at a City property/parking garage in order to get approval...

That's an innovative idea. And a good one. There should be a standard system where each EV can see which stations are working and also no need for a credit card. Even a rental car energy use could be paid at turn in. That could totally eliminate range anxiety.

What if it was proposed as a standard?

There's basically no chance of it being adopted as a standard, given the work that CharIn has done and the fact that every EV manufacturer globally outside of China is using CCS. It's an "open" standard, which Tesla's DC connector is not. Obviously the AC side of things is just the J1772 connector with a different shape, but the physical design is still encumbered.