Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the Charge Door Wake the Car Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
Mostly curious as to how this is supposed to work.

I park in the garage and walk-away disabled for home. I use a 14/50 outlet with the UMC.

I often plug in toward the end of the day and by then the car has fallen asleep. I can use the app to open the charge door.

I can use the button on the UMC to open the door.

But the door won't open on its own.

If I open an entry door first then the car wakes up and I can just press on the charge door.

So the question is should pressing the charge door on a sleeping car (but not locked) wake the car up and pop the charge door.

Mostly curious as to how this is supposed to work.

I park in the garage and walk-away disabled for home. I use a 14/50 outlet with the UMC.

I often plug in toward the end of the day and by then the car has fallen asleep. I can use the app to open the charge door.

I can use the button on the UMC to open the door.

But the door won't open on its own.

If I open an entry door first then the car wakes up and I can just press on the charge door.

So the question is should pressing the charge door on a sleeping car (but not locked) wake the car up and pop the charge door.
Yes, at least my '21 MYLR does. You may have to hold the button for 10 seconds or so within an inch of the port, but it definitely wakes it up.

Yes, at least my '21 MYLR does. You may have to hold the button for 10 seconds or so within an inch of the port, but it definitely wakes it up.
I think you misunderstood. The UMC does wake it up. I'm talking about the door itself. If the car is awake I can tap the charge port door and it opens. It does not when the car is asleep.

Having to wake the car with an 1/8 push of the rear door handle to wake the car has always been my experience with my ‘19
When you say 1/8 push I'm assuming you aren't actually opening the door but that wakes the car? And that's the MX in your pic? I'll give that a try and see if it does it on my MY. Of course not an earth shattering issue.

When you say 1/8 push I'm assuming you aren't actually opening the door but that wakes the car? And that's the MX in your pic? I'll give that a try and see if it does it on my MY. Of course not an earth shattering issue.
Model 3. You can press the right side of the driver rear door handle just enough to wake the car but not open it. I think it’s pretty dumb it’s required when sleeping. I’m ok with the charging door press not working while sleeping, but pressing the handle on the wall connector when sleeping should always “unsleeping” and open the charging door IMHO. Bit I’ll manage.

Sounds like that is the same answer as the above model X. Probably give it a try tonight. I don't have a wall connector but use the UMC on a 14/50 outlet. The UMC pretty much works. Sometimes I have to press the button more than once but have guessed that at least some of those are 'bad' presses.