Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the pillar speakers work on a SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an SR+, but I don't hear any sound coming from the front pillar speakers.
Are these speakers only enabled with the "premium" audio package in the LR & Performance versions?

It would seem like a waste of money & labor to install these in SR+ models unless they could be enabled via SW for a paid upgrade.

It's a shame that the premium audio system isn't an option for the SR+. I'd rather have than a bigger batter & dual motors, and I'm sure as hell not going to pay $10K for those options.

Reactions: Mr X
Tesla turns off items like speakers and seat heaters to offer a reduced price model. Works for them, as while they do not make as much money, they still make some money.

They do the same thing with full self driving. They include all the cameras and sensors, but turn them off. If buyers want that capability they can pay to have them turned back on.

Cheaper for Tesla to just install everything in every car than to build every car differently as it comes down the assembly line.

Other manufacturers do similar things.

Tesla turns off items like speakers and seat heaters to offer a reduced price model. Works for them, as while they do not make as much money, they still make some money.

They do the same thing with full self driving. They include all the cameras and sensors, but turn them off. If buyers want that capability they can pay to have them turned back on.

Cheaper for Tesla to just install everything in every car than to build every car differently as it comes down the assembly line.

Other manufacturers do similar things.

Thanks.

Should I hear a difference in the audio quality when I turn the "Immersive Audio" control on & off?
I hear nothing. SRP owners paid for Immersive Audio

I have an SR+, but I don't hear any sound coming from the front pillar speakers.
Are these speakers only enabled with the "premium" audio package in the LR & Performance versions?

It would seem like a waste of money & labor to install these in SR+ models unless they could be enabled via SW for a paid upgrade.
While there are speakers physically in the car's A-pillars, they are not even wired up. Some people have wired them in, tapping into a the leads from other speakers.

It's a shame that the premium audio system isn't an option for the SR+. I'd rather have than a bigger batter & dual motors, and I'm sure as hell not going to pay $10K for those options.
Do what I did: have a Reus Audio system installed. It is FAR superior to the Premium Tesla system. It is an audiophile class system, so it's pricey. But to me, it is the best money I ever spent. I know you're in Northern California, but they do travel.

Should I hear a difference in the audio quality when I turn the "Immersive Audio" control on & off?
I hear nothing. SRP owners paid for Immersive Audio
It sucks. When you can hear the difference, you can really hear the digital processing and it is not good.

While there are speakers physically in the car's A-pillars, they are not even wired up. Some people have wired them in, tapping into a the leads from other speakers.

Do what I did: have a Reus Audio system installed. It is FAR superior to the Premium Tesla system. It is an audiophile class system, so it's pricey. But to me, it is the best money I ever spent. I know you're in Northern California, but they do travel.

It sucks. When you can hear the difference, you can really hear the digital processing and it is not good.

Are there any chances this would void the warranty?
I just got my M3 the other day, so I have ~4 years left..

Are there any chances this would void the warranty?
I just got my M3 the other day, so I have ~4 years left..
Haven't had to find out yet, but if I recall correctly, it shouldn't. They've done a lot of Teslas over the years, so I am sure it would have come up by now. Give them a call (Rick or Cliff) and ask them. Tell them Kevin Elder sent you.

I just picked up my 3 in August, so I hope there's not an issue.