Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sigh, customer service....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you even find a Support number on their Website?
Even so, calls from customers are expensive. Most companies would rather have you email or chat. Maybe thats why the number is buried if it is even there anymore.

I was on the solar site area in the morning last week and saw the chat was available and spoke to someone that way. They gave me a number to call which I did and an Energy Advisor promptly answered (from his home in Vegas--WFH). We had also wanted to upgrade from 2 to 3 PWs and so wanted to talk to them about that. Transferred to another Vegas WFH advisor and made changes that were immediately updated to our Tesla account. We've found them pretty responsive at least as of last week. They may have been having to restructure working situations for everyone as California and Nevada put SIP in effect and places had to close. I know the week or two prior I had tried to contact our EA we had been working with and got a "number not a working number" message when I called. Later that recording was more specific to Tesla and provided a new number to dial.

Reactions: jboy210
Got my PTO email today, pushing tesla customer service did the trick.

So does PG&E have to come out for this? We are only at the pre-install stage but I know the PTO can take a while. Tesla told us that Tesla and our City are pretty pro-active in moving things along. Our electrician who will be doing our panel upgrade said that PG&E has been the bottleneck on some of his projects as far a timeline. I would think they would get as many people approved before windy/fire danger season starts up, but nice to get some free solar before then.

Last edited:
So does PG&E have to come out for this?
It was all done online, PG&E didn't come at all.

Once I paid in full, it took Tesla 1 week to submit an online application.
PG&E responded in 1 week for additional information (Tesla didn’t upload all paperwork) which Tesla ignored so I had to call and ask them to take a look.
Once I called they submitted the information which took PG&E another week and I got the PTO email.

PG&E is working fast, it is Tesla who slow things down. From the look of how things went with me, if Tesla did their job right in the first place I would have my PTO within a week.

On 03/02 (mm/dd) Tesla submitted my application (online) I got my PTO on 04/03 (mm/dd) after PG&E waited over 2 weeks for Tesla's response.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
It was all done online, PG&E didn't come at all.

Once I paid in full, it took Tesla 1 week to submit an online application.
PG&E responded in 1 week for additional information (Tesla didn’t upload all paperwork) which Tesla ignored so I had to call and ask them to take a look.
Once I called they submitted the information which took PG&E another week and I got the PTO email.

PG&E is working fast, it is Tesla who slow things down. From the look of how things went with me, if Tesla did their job right in the first place I would have my PTO within a week.

On 03/02 (mm/dd) Tesla submitted my application (online) I got my PTO on 04/03 (mm/dd) after PG&E waited over 2 weeks for Tesla's response.

Good to know about PG&E.

So likely Tesla’s needed reply was requested when the SF Bay shutdown was starting to affect offices by the sounds of it. My husband’s company was making plans I think by 3/6 or 3/7 when the employees started being emailed to work from home the next week. I know my husband’s office was pretty much shut down to non-essential personnel on Monday 3/9 and everyone had started WFH then. Think many companies in Bay area got the heads up early that this was going to be announced publicly by proclamation on that Monday. Husband’s a manager and he had to scramble to make sure his team had what they needed to work from home on projects. Likely Tesla Energy was in the midst of this too and not knowing if solar/PW work would be deemed essential and were reorganizing teams how to operate if not.

Good to know about PG&E.

So likely Tesla’s needed reply was requested when the SF Bay shutdown was starting to affect offices by the sounds of it. My husband’s company was making plans I think by 3/6 or 3/7 when the employees started being emailed to work from home the next week. I know my husband’s office was pretty much shut down to non-essential personnel on Monday 3/9 and everyone had started WFH then. Think many companies in Bay area got the heads up early that this was going to be announced publicly by proclamation on that Monday. Husband’s a manager and he had to scramble to make sure his team had what they needed to work from home on projects. Likely Tesla Energy was in the midst of this too and not knowing if solar/PW work would be deemed essential and were reorganizing teams how to operate if not.
Maybe, I was told when I called that my account was not monitored and was moved to a different team. Immediately after i called the same representative I've been working with from the beginning handle my case to fix it. I am texting her since day 1. anyhow regardless of the reason i am finally done. I started with Tesla in Nov 2019 and i have finally done with the project in April 2020. Not completely done i am still waiting for a 4% cashback they owe me.... I Can honestly say it was not a pleasant experience at all. So bad that I bought an iPace instead of a model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it
A neighbor down the street had ordered his after the first shutdown on Oct 9 and his 2PW got installed end of February I think. He already had solar. He wasn’t happy about the delay, knew they were backlogged, but he was happy to show us his install and it was cleanly done.

We’re going into this knowing their backlog of orders (ordered 1/4) and knowing what its been like for companies since March. We charge my car in off peak hours so not as concerned about the solar generation now for the home. We were scheduled to be completed by end of March. We only can assume at some point the guys will be able to come out and sure hope it’s before the next power shutdown. For us that’s the important deadline. And apart from the $100 deposit, they’ve put in a lot of work on our project with phone calls, permit filing etc, and we haven’t had to pay them anything until they arrive to install. Really can’t complain.

Hopefully you enjoy your car. I was in one at last years EV Week held in Cupertino. Nice interior. We have two Teslas before all of this and both of us love our cars and traveling with them has been great. We’ve had a good buying experience really.

Last edited:
A neighbor down the street had ordered his after the first shutdown on Oct 9 and his 2PW got installed end of February I think. He already had solar. He wasn’t happy about the delay, knew they were backlogged, but he was happy to show us his install and it was cleanly done.

We’re going into this knowing their backlog of orders (ordered 1/4) and knowing what its been like for companies since March. We charge my car in off peak hours so not as concerned about the solar generation now for the home. We were scheduled to be completed by end of March. We only can assume at some point the guys will be able to come out and sure hope it’s before the next power shutdown. For us that’s the important deadline. And apart from the $100 deposit, they’ve put in a lot of work on our project with phone calls, permit filing etc, and we haven’t had to pay them anything until they arrive to install. Really can’t complain.

Hopefully you enjoy your car. I was in one at last years EV Week held in Cupertino. Nice interior. We have two Teslas before all of this and both of us love our cars and traveling with them has been great. We’ve had a good buying experience really.

The car is amazing, I love it.

I ordered Solar+PW in November, i went through hell during the design process, I have a pool with solar panels they wanted me to relocate them just so they can come and inspect the roof, the design they did was incorrect they had to revise it 3 times. On the install day, they came and downgraded my power to 100amp. i had 150amp service and now i have 100amp. When asked why? they said, "you don't need more than 100amp service we checked and confirmed". WTF? i talked to them over and over but it is like talking to a wall. it is done can't be changed.

As you can see i can go on and on about my exp, i just don't want to hear the word Tesla ever again. I hope other companies will start to catch up soon. Can't wait to get a Taycan :).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ra88it
Maybe, I was told when I called that my account was not monitored and was moved to a different team. Immediately after i called the same representative I've been working with from the beginning handle my case to fix it. I am texting her since day 1. anyhow regardless of the reason i am finally done. I started with Tesla in Nov 2019 and i have finally done with the project in April 2020. Not completely done i am still waiting for a 4% cashback they owe me.... I Can honestly say it was not a pleasant experience at all. So bad that I bought an iPace instead of a model Y.

The 4% is what I am looking forward to too, I got that paperwork we signed....

Everything seems to be working now that I move the Gateway closer to the inverter. Solar is generating about about 19.5kwh during the last two days on my 3.7kw system. PG&E hasn't switched me over to NEM2 or EV2-A yet. I am trying to rake in as much credit as I can before I get switched to the horrible system since my unit is east facing and generate mostly between 8AM-2PM

Everything seems to be working now that I move the Gateway closer to the inverter. Solar is generating about about 19.5kwh during the last two days on my 3.7kw system. PG&E hasn't switched me over to NEM2 or EV2-A yet. I am trying to rake in as much credit as I can before I get switched to the horrible system since my unit is east facing and generate mostly between 8AM-2PM
Did you get your PTO?