Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silverado EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i08MR4N.jpg
it is amazing, but so is the cybertruck, different folks...

Reactions: scottf200
Chevy Silverado EV RST functionality
- bed adjust length,
- tailgate opening options,
- removeable and storable rear window,
- midgate lets you care 10+ feet items "inside"
- ~400+ range,
- HUD display,
- electric rear view mirror!,
... blows away Cybertruck

Title: The Longest Range Electric Truck in the WORLD... and its not even close!
I like that the fairings around the bed can be removed. This looks like it has promise. It is certainly at the top of my list for pickups at this point even though I don't expect to buy one for some time.

I just essentially need a car with a bed so I can haul greasy/dirty things without putting them inside the vehicle. Also mountain bikes and camping gear. I realize I really need something that can work as a commuter and as a weekend toy. I don’t have room to store multiple vehicles.

I think this is the target market for the EV trucks
IMO this is most truck buyers. They don't really need a truck optimized for heavy loads; they're looking for a comfortable family vehicle with "dirty" cargo space and maybe some towing ability for e.g. a modest boat. Witness the popularity of the Maverick.

Of course some folks do need the heavy payload capability and/or need to pull big trailers. This Chevy looks like a good fit for that role.

I too think a small EV truck in that size range would be awesome. Just make sure it has a frunk. The battery size will deive coat differences that weren't there in the 90s and 2000s that combined with CAFE to give a glut of oversized trucks in the daily-driving family vehicle market.

I see the SilveradoEV becoming a standard EV PU, threatening the Lightning and waiting to be challanged by the RAM EV
I see the Cybertruck as the unique specialty EV PU, already threatening the R1T or not as the R1T is small like a taco
or maybe there is space for three types
work full size
unique full size
small size

I see the SilveradoEV becoming a standard EV PU, threatening the Lightning and waiting to be challanged by the RAM EV
I see the Cybertruck as the unique specialty EV PU, already threatening the R1T or not as the R1T is small like a taco
or maybe there is space for three types
work full size
unique full size
small size

The Lightning set the standard for Full Size

The R1T set the standard for the Small PU

Silverado has now taken the baton and ran with it.

The CT is just a cars and coffee talking piece

An additional benefit, which I don't believe many are fully realizing, is the new Ultium battery design which is universal for all GM EVs going forward. This battery has been designed for long-term serviceability, as any of the many individual battery sections can be replaced vs the entire pack when a cell fails. It also allows newer battery technology to be mixed with the existing battery sections. That will translate to a much lower cost verses being forced to replaced the entire pack when a cell fails.
Excuse my ignorance on this question. I can look it up but I think it would be good to have here for reference.

I believe the current Ultium packs use an LFP cell. Is this the case? If so is it the case for the long range battery as well? I believe the Cybertruck is using the LFP 4680 cells, is that correct? I think the Lightning had NMC, but not sure and not sure if they have started using LFP.

IMO LFP is a superior chemistry and I would not really consider an EV with NMC so it's important to me. NMC has better energy density, but LFP is much more stable and durable and can withstand much more cycles. I also like the fact it does not use Cobalt as mining that is sketchy due to child labor use, etc. Nothing is perfect, but its nice if we don't have to use Cobalt if it can be avoided.
How much they are losing now is irrelevant. I assume that amount will decrease to where they will soon start making money. This would be exactly like all their other previous vehicles.
The concern is whether the trajectory leads to a profitable cost. Having to put in a huge battery to meet towing range can have a huge impact since that is a major driver of the cost. Will the market tolerate such a cost? Will battery costs decrease enough?
I remain skeptical of H2, whether in ICE or Fool Sells.
This applies to every other vehicle as well. Initially they lose a lot per vehicle until they can produce at scale. The question is if the market for Cybertruck is really that big? I think no because it's a niche styling and not super functional as a truck, but I have been wrong many times before :)

Its fair to be skeptical of H2, still a lot of barriers to overcome and they may never be overcome! I think it mostly depends on if "white" hydrogen can be found in large quantities so we don't need to consume a lot of energy to make some energy in a net negative process.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Excuse my ignorance on this question. I can look it up but I think it would be good to have here for reference.

I believe the current Ultium packs use an LFP cell. Is this the case? If so is it the case for the long range battery as well? I believe the Cybertruck is using the LFP 4680 cells, is that correct? I think the Lightning had NMC, but not sure and not sure if they have started using LFP.

IMO LFP is a superior chemistry and I would not really consider an EV with NMC so it's important to me. NMC has better energy density, but LFP is much more stable and durable and can withstand much more cycles. I also like the fact it does not use Cobalt as mining that is sketchy due to child labor use, etc. Nothing is perfect, but its nice if we don't have to use Cobalt if it can be avoided.

This applies to every other vehicle as well. Initially they lose a lot per vehicle until they can produce at scale. The question is if the market for Cybertruck is really that big? I think no because it's a niche styling and not super functional as a truck, but I have been wrong many times before :)

Its fair to be skeptical of H2, still a lot of barriers to overcome and they may never be overcome! I think it mostly depends on if "white" hydrogen can be found in large quantities so we don't need to consume a lot of energy to make some energy in a net negative process.
AFAIK none of the Ultium packs in the trucks use LFP - they use NCA/NMC packs - the LFPs don't have the energy density needed for larger vehicles.

Tesla 4680s, the number is the dimension of diameter and height in MMs, with an NCM 811 chemistry, not LFP

Reactions: HitchHiker71
The Silverado RST is everything the CT should have been, at a cheaper price. I'm really digging this. The interior is perfect, and they have have the function down perfectly. It's almost like they know how build trucks. ;) The only thing I'd change would be to put the charge port at the drivers front.

Based on multiple reports, including Kyle's Out of Spec Motoring, Silverado EV (and ALL GM EVs) has major software and software-hardware issues. Based on what I saw in GM cars over many years, I would NOT trust anything coming from that stable. Their goal, as I said about Ford's Mach-E many years ago, is to discredit EVs, ultimately killing them if possible while collecting government subsidies and pushing their stock price up. Nothing more.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
Based on multiple reports, including Kyle's Out of Spec Motoring, Silverado EV (and ALL GM EVs) has major software and software-hardware issues. Based on what I saw in GM cars over many years, I would NOT trust anything coming from that stable. Their goal, as I said about Ford's Mach-E many years ago, is to discredit EVs, ultimately killing them if possible while collecting government subsidies and pushing their stock price up. Nothing more.
Points to be made:
The power of relevant, quality software cannot be understated in its importance in all tech, these are not just vehicles
Conspiracy theory that Fords intent was to always kill off EVs is actually insane
😵‍💫

AFAIK none of the Ultium packs in the trucks use LFP - they use NCA/NMC packs - the LFPs don't have the energy density needed for larger vehicles.
Looks like you are correct all the current Ultium cells are NCMA. I remembered they were looking to use CATL LFP cells for the next gen bolt and other vehicles and I ASSumed the current batch of EVs would use these cells. Seems like the next next gen will use them or there will be some kind of a model year switch.

Interestingly the really heavy vehicles use LFP. Different application though. Way higher focus on durability requirements, safety requirements, cost, etc. than energy density.

I would still opt for it in a passenger truck though for cost savings and durability for a small hit in range, but thats not what sells at the moment.
Tesla 4680s, the number is the dimension of diameter and height in MMs, with an NCM 811 chemistry, not LFP
Thanks. There is an LFP version of 4680 cells, but they just aren't used in CT packs right? Just making sure Im not completely off rocker :)

Ford is supposed to be building the Lightning with LFP in 2024 at some point but Im sure it will be in late Q3/Q4 or delayed. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised.

Looks like you are correct all the current Ultium cells are NCMA. I remembered they were looking to use CATL LFP cells for the next gen bolt and other vehicles and I ASSumed the current batch of EVs would use these cells. Seems like the next next gen will use them or there will be some kind of a model year switch.

Interestingly the really heavy vehicles use LFP. Different application though. Way higher focus on durability requirements, safety requirements, cost, etc. than energy density.

I would still opt for it in a passenger truck though for cost savings and durability for a small hit in range, but thats not what sells at the moment.

Thanks. There is an LFP version of 4680 cells, but they just aren't used in CT packs right? Just making sure Im not completely off rocker :)

Ford is supposed to be building the Lightning with LFP in 2024 at some point but Im sure it will be in late Q3/Q4 or delayed. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised.
again, dont get 4680 name for dimensions mixed up with the chem, which is the LFP acronym lith/iron/phos
I think only Tesla is using that size as only NCM chem (we know in the CT, maybe the MYRWD/but unsure, maybe the Semi/but unsure, all cases NCM chem)
CATL and LG will be contracted by Tesla to build 4680s and should be using the same chem, NCM
Tesla is using LFP batteries in the Powerwall 3 and will be expanding the use in megapacks
Lithium prismatic cells (LFP) are named for their prismatic shape, which is rectangular like a box. Not cylindrical like 4680, 2170, etc.

Conspiracy theory that Fords intent was to always kill off EVs is actually insane
Very naively spoken. Clearly, you just fell off the turnip truck if you think that the ICE carmakers' (as a whole) haven't been trying to kill of EVs from the beginning. Having had my 1st EV taken away from me to be crushed, I've lived through it.
However, that wasn't really a conspiracy. It was more a sound business decision to protect corporate and personal investment in ICE technology, production, and business cases.
The true conspiracy was those of us all around America from Haight-Ashbury to Langley, Seattle to Atlanta, and from Hollywood to Halifax, including insiders in the ICE companies and the auto unions, who wouldn't let EVs die until Martin and Marc came up with the sound EV business plan and Musk and others threw their money into making them actually work.
Read The Car that Could by Michael Schnayerson if you don't believe me.

Reactions: alexgr
The Silverado RST is everything the CT should have been, at a cheaper price
Given GM's track record of selling EVs at a loss, then killing them because they were losing money, it isn't clear history will support this notion.
I certainly hope so though.
We know that GM has some of the best engineers in the world and they can make an affordable, good product if allowed to. The only question is whether the bean-counters will finally let them.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Very naively spoken. Clearly, you just fell off the turnip truck if you think that the ICE carmakers' (as a whole) haven't been trying to kill of EVs from the beginning. Having had my 1st EV taken away from me to be crushed, I've lived through it.
However, that wasn't really a conspiracy. It was more a sound business decision to protect corporate and personal investment in ICE technology, production, and business cases.
The true conspiracy was those of us all around America from Haight-Ashbury to Langley, Seattle to Atlanta, and from Hollywood to Halifax, including insiders in the ICE companies and the auto unions, who wouldn't let EVs die until Martin and Marc came up with the sound EV business plan and Musk and others threw their money into making them actually work.
Read The Car that Could by Michael Schnayerson if you don't believe me.
You are insane. EV trucks will dominate fleet sales very soon: Little to no PM, all the connection monitoring built in, electricity cheaper then fuel, subsidies,….

And GM is the frontrunner for the transition to EV in fleet truck sales. There is a reason they focused on fleet first.

Reactions: kpanda17
You are insane.
how is this relevant? (not disagreeing though :) )
EV trucks will dominate fleet sales very soon: Little to no PM, all the connection monitoring built in, electricity cheaper then fuel, subsidies,….
I fully agree with this as well - once someone actually starts seriously building them again. Remember that GM S10 EVs used to guard the Bush White House (DC capital police) in the early 2000's and Ford's serious entry into EVs back then was the Ranger EV.

However, given that this just made perfect sense, why did both Ford and GM crush as many as they could?

Yuma_GM_-crushed-EVs.jpeg

The only thing I'll add is that EV trucks are (were) an economic challenge until battery costs drop to some level. It made sense for Tesla to start with EV cars initially since they could be made very aerodynamic to achieve good range with less batteries. The promise and response to the Cybertruck, of course, left no choice for the big guys but to answer. Time will tell whether batteries are still too expensive to make EV trucks profitably.
Phoenix Motorcars and VIA motors (still struggling) experienced this challenge in the 2nd round of modern EVs as they try to get an EV truck into the market.
Let's keep hoping . . .

How much do you think Tesla loses on each Cybertruck?
First of all, Tesla has NEVER made an unprofitable vehicle. EVER. In their ENTIRE history. I assure you, they won’t have started now with the CT. So my answer is zero.

How many cartons of eggs are you willing to wear if Tesla says the CT was profitable in their first quarter of production ramp? Would you wear even one egg if they reported in a couple of weeks that they’re at breakeven already?

Your answer is likely to also be zero based on your complete obliviousness to Tesla.

Reactions: alexgr