Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Silverado EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a Silverado in the wild last weekend. I was in LA, near UCLA on I-405 and passed it.
It was a pleasant surprise. I wonder what its deal was.
Good choice on charging port location from the get-go.

UFMfOvg.jpg

Reactions: Suns_PSD and KJD
Kyle at Out of Spec has tested Silverado and the numbers solidly hold up. It's not even close compared to the other EV's including CT. It's a gargantuan battery with a truck stuck on top of it. So what, that Chevy loses 80k or so each truck it sells. Range, range range. It has me reconsidering my CT with range extender, because towing 8k lbs is becoming increasingly important to me. 250 mile range towing is my absolute sweet spot. It will be quite painful to lose Tesla software and FSD, but I'm considering...

Last edited:
There has been a lot of discussions about people wanting the "500 mile" 2019 CT for towing.

Cybertruck withOUT towing ~250+ miles of range ** currently ~250 kW fast charging
Silverado EV WITH towing ~250 miles of range ** 350-370 kW fast charging (port driver rear!)

It looks like the Silverado EV WT4 (used market for those and future RST) really have a lot of *smarts* and integration for towing. ie. real towing design engineers. [** Sierra EV Denali for higher end comforts/interior]

Example of towing design: separate adaptive cruise (keep distance) designed when in towing mode (ie. stopping distance; separate physical trailer manual brake that is *variable* like the older under dash version (apparently CT and Rivian are none->max and not variable.

It sure seems like people will consider one of these instead.

Discussions with Chevrolet towing design engineer
Title: Towing With The Silverado EV! Everything You Need To Know About Towing With Chevy's Electric Pickup

Lot of nuggets in this video about all the towing features.
I watched this at x1.75
Title: Setting The Benchmark! Chevy Silverado EV 4WT vs The Rustic Ring Electric Vehicle Towing Challenge

• Informative
Reactions: Nack and FLRifleman
Kyle at Out of Spec has tested Silverado and the numbers solidly hold up. It's not even close compared to the other EV's including CT. It's a gargantuan battery with a truck stuck on top of it. So what, that Chevy loses 80k or so each truck it sells. Range, range range. It has me reconsidering my CT with range extender, because towing 8k lbs is becoming increasingly important to me. 250 mile range towing is my absolute sweet spot. It will be quite painful to lose Tesla software and FSD, but I'm considering...
I got my invitation to order my CT 3-4 weeks ago. I could have it now. I canceled, one of the top reasons is towing my camper (24’, ~7k lbs)at least a usable 200 miles is a must for me and an EV truck.

Silverado 4wt looks like it is it for me.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for the range extender.

There has been a lot of discussions about people wanting the "500 mile" 2019 CT for towing.

Cybertruck withOUT towing ~250+ miles of range ** currently ~250 kW fast charging
Silverado EV WITH towing ~250 miles of range ** 350-370 kW fast charging (port driver rear!)

It looks like the Silverado EV WT4 (used market for those and future RST) really have a lot of *smarts* and integration for towing. ie. real towing design engineers. [** Sierra EV Denali for higher end comforts/interior]

Example of towing design: separate adaptive cruise (keep distance) designed when in towing mode (ie. stopping distance; separate physical trailer manual brake that is *variable* like the older under dash version (apparently CT and Rivian are none->max and not variable.

It sure seems like people will consider one of these instead.

Discussions with Chevrolet towing design engineer
Title: Towing With The Silverado EV! Everything You Need To Know About Towing With Chevy's Electric Pickup

Lot of nuggets in this video about all the towing features.
I watched this at x1.75
Title: Setting The Benchmark! Chevy Silverado EV 4WT vs The Rustic Ring Electric Vehicle Towing Challenge
Well this really ain’t surprising. GM knows how to build a truck. Tesla tried to go way too outside the box and ended up with a not really a truck. I think the CT would have been much better as Santa Cruz size.

So what, that Chevy loses 80k or so each truck it sells.
That sounds highly sustainable. /s
250 mile range towing is my absolute sweet spot. It will be quite painful to lose Tesla software and FSD, but I'm considering...
I'm sure they'll be servicing that product for a long time for you. /s

Can I sell you a hydrogen power train to go with it as well? How are those 10 year old Mirai's doing for people?

• Love
Reactions: Krugerrand
An additional benefit, which I don't believe many are fully realizing, is the new Ultium battery design which is universal for all GM EVs going forward. This battery has been designed for long-term serviceability, as any of the many individual battery sections can be replaced vs the entire pack when a cell fails. It also allows newer battery technology to be mixed with the existing battery sections. That will translate to a much lower cost verses being forced to replaced the entire pack when a cell fails.

I don't think ev PU trucks make sense for anything but sport trucks and being used locally.

If they haul (tow) much weight a hybrid or diesel makes sense. EV Cars yes, trucks towing heavy long distance... No.
I am interested in an EV truck, but I just essentially need a car with a bed so I can haul greasy/dirty things without putting them inside the vehicle. Also mountain bikes and camping gear. I realize I really need something that can work as a commuter and as a weekend toy. I don’t have room to store multiple vehicles.

I think this is the target market for the EV trucks and what they do best. Also good for trades that are just carrying tools and equipment locally but not anywhere close to maxing out the capability.

I would still prefer a serial hybrid (range extender) version just for backup if chargers are not available.

Reactions: gtae07
That sounds highly sustainable. /s

Can I sell you a hydrogen power train to go with it as well? How are those 10 year old Mirai's doing for people?
How much do you think Tesla loses on each Cybertruck? Keep in mind with the sale of each Silverado EV GM gets GHG credits so they don’t need to buy from companies like Tesla. There is much more to the equation for the legacy automakers.

Hydrogen does not make a lot of sense for passcars as its easy enough to make an EV. In pickups Fuel Cells and H2 ICE range extenders are a possibility (same with heavy duty).

H2 infrastructure is getting a lot of government funding right now around major ports so it may be more viable in the future. Fuel cells are finicky and not all that much more efficient than H2 ICE at much greater cost so I don’t see those being as popular. Time will tell though.

Reactions: fhteagle
How much do you think Tesla loses on each Cybertruck?
How much they are losing now is irrelevant. I assume that amount will decrease to where they will soon start making money. This would be exactly like all their other previous vehicles.
The concern is whether the trajectory leads to a profitable cost. Having to put in a huge battery to meet towing range can have a huge impact since that is a major driver of the cost. Will the market tolerate such a cost? Will battery costs decrease enough?
I remain skeptical of H2, whether in ICE or Fool Sells.

Chevy Silverado EV RST functionality
- bed adjust length,
- tailgate opening options,
- removeable and storable rear window,
- midgate lets you care 10+ feet items "inside"
- ~400+ range,
- HUD display,
- electric rear view mirror!,
... blows away Cybertruck

Title: The Longest Range Electric Truck in the WORLD... and its not even close!
The new Chevy Silverado EV RST is the new long range Electric Truck KING. With an advertised range of 440 miles. Today we find out how realistic that range actually is with a 440 mile road trip from Las Vegas Nevada to Phoenix Arizona.

Watch Dan's video HERE. <-- this one was pretty entertaining!

Ambient temperature outside during this test was a rainy 68 degrees F (20C) There is about 1000ft of elevation drop between Las Vegas and Phoenix. 95% of the time we were going the speed limit on public roads (55mph to 75mph) - except for the dirt road diversion to film and do the truck walkaround.

yLkUrQY.jpg

iGhMAil.jpg

e39n7x5.jpg

kyhxlZE.jpg

Attachments

• 1712178890681.gif
    1712178890681.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 6
  • 1712178890709.gif
    1712178890709.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 6
  • 1712178890733.gif