Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I preordered the single motor for the low price. I see most of you ordered the double or trimotor. I will be using my Cybertruck for mostly local short range driving. With occasional 200 mile round trips, with an overnight in between for charging. I would appreciate other member's thoughts on the single motor, advantages and disadvantages. Thanks

If its similar to the M3, the single motor will likely be lighter and more energy efficient, while the dual (+ tri) have AWD and additional power/range/battery capacity, but at the cost of being less energy efficient and more resource intense.

If the single motor serves your needs, save the money and resources. If not, spend the extra $.

If it works for you then it works.
No shame in not spending $10,000 that you don't need to.
But get out and enjoy the world more. The truck should be a great travel vehicle.
For me, a 200 mile trip is an easy day trip. I'm on a 400 mile trip as I type. Did another 2 weeks ago

2 motor dude here.... I did it for the AWD, but also I have read on threads that if you have two motors and one goes bad the other will keep you going...something you may consider... So it's safer. I don't need to go 0-60 in 2.9, but "mid-range" 0-60 in 4.5 is still hauling butt. Having the mid range driving distance also makes it better for me...so not paying much more at all when you get Better handling with AWD and increased power, Better distance with bigger battery, and more reliable with the two motors.

If you are new to EV's, range is king. But I agree if you really don't need it, no need to order it.

Keep in mind you won't be fully charging it every night. The recommendation is between 50 and 90% for daily charging. I usually charge my 325 (now 308) mile Model 3 to 85% which is about 268 miles. When it's cold out, dark and rainy, that range will not be as high as you think. It will also only be good for driving around 55-65 mph.

So you just have to know what you're comfortable with. If you are going to make a 200 mile trip, if you leave fully charged you will probably be somewhere in the 225-250 mile range. Arriving with 25 miles is cutting it close and that's with good driving. So if you're ok with supercharging for 15-30 minutes in the middle of that trip and you can charge when you get there, you should be fine.

I put the deposit down for the single-motor RWD as well, mainly because of cost and the most I would ever drive 1 way is less than 100 miles so the range doesn't matter that much to me (granted the Cybertruck will be my first electric or Tesla for that matter so I could be wrong). I live in Texas so winters aren't crazy by any means, so it didn't make sense to spend the extra money for the range, AWD, or extra speed boost.

At highway speeds in cold weather, you might lose a third of your range or possibly even more (especially with a load). So single motor isn't much range if you plan to do much travel in it, otherwise should be fine if you don't need AWD.

I want AWD and the dual motor is probably the most efficient version, but I want max range for easy travel so if I buy it would have to be trimotor with at least 300mi range in bad conditions. I'm guessing 400+mi in good conditions on highway. I'll never see 500mi because I mostly drive highway.

This site seems to have pretty realistic real world range estimates for different conditions...
Tesla Cybertruck Single Motor

\
I want AWD and the dual motor is probably the most efficient version, but I want max range for easy travel so if I buy it would have to be trimotor with at least 300mi range in bad conditions.

Historically for Teslas, RWD is 5 - 10% more efficient (in terms of range) than AWD for equivalent battery pack sizes. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe it's the weight penalty of AWD models having motors on both axles.

When "Long Range RWD" was still being offered as a Model Y configuration, it was advertised as being 7% more efficient than "Long Range AWD" (this particular image was taken from insideevsdotcom).

Tesla_Model_Y-old_specs_prior_to_01-28-2020.jpg

With the Long Range AWD Model Y now having a 315-mile advertised range, a Long Range RWD Model Y would presumably have a range of 335 - 340 miles. It's too bad that this configuration is no longer being offered.

Historically for Teslas, RWD is 5 - 10% more efficient (in terms of range) than AWD for equivalent battery pack sizes. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe it's the weight penalty of AWD models having motors on both axles.

When "Long Range RWD" was still being offered as a Model Y configuration, it was advertised as being 7% more efficient than "Long Range AWD" (this particular image was taken from insideevsdotcom).

View attachment 506998

With the Long Range AWD Model Y now having a 315-mile advertised range, a Long Range RWD Model Y would presumably have a range of 335 - 340 miles. It's too bad that this configuration is no longer being offered.
Depends on the motors. Model S and X are more efficient with dual motor because of the type of motor that they can be power off in a neutral state and use a smaller more efficient motor in front for cruising and dual motor regen. 3 and Y use permanent magnet motors that must use power when vehicle is in motion. They are efficient but don't have a neutral so more efficient with single motor.
Who knows what Tesla is putting in the Cybertruck but my assumption is that the RWD and dual use the s and x power train (raven for dual, and only rear SX motor for single), thus assumption that dual is more efficient. Tri would likely use plaid power train which is almost definitely not as efficient. But all guessing what is actually in it.

Edit: Inductive is the rear motor type in SX. Newer SX are Raven which means they use permanent magnet motor like 3 in front.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando