Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM Volume Scratchy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
add me to the list of people experiencing this, although on a model 3 (using the hacked retrofit some brilliant forum members figured out to get native SXM support in the 3 and Y). amazing this has been going on for 10 months and still not fixed.

have any of you guys reported this as a bug to tesla? i'd report it but since my setup is obviously unsupported, that won't fly...

I just got the new Beta FSD release last night. I'll check after that is working. The scratching has decreased with the last update I got in June. So I think it is a software related thing. After last night's release, SXM wasn't even showing as a source yadda yadda. I powered off rebooted, and then the channels were scrambled, and favorites not showing, even though they were selected. Normal two button reboot. No better. After driving some, the software seems to be more stable with Favorites again appearing. It will take a day or two for the update to congeal. Will report back if it us still much better once again.

The volume is no longer scratchy when I scroll it slowly, one click at a time. If I scroll it rapidly, there is more of a mild pop now. I didn't try the console push volume controls, but they had the same issues before. I also assume the issue continues to only affect the Radio and SiriusXM, and not other sources. This seems to be the much improved, still minimal issue to me now, so I probably will live with it. BTW, the SXM Favorites are still not showing, although each favorite channel is still marked as a Favorite. I assume this will clear up by itself as usual with a few days of use. Favorites missing is a much bigger issue, hopefully temporary. I'm on FSD Beta 10.69.2 (2022.20.15).

The volume is no longer scratchy when I scroll it slowly, one click at a time. If I scroll it rapidly, there is more of a mild pop now. I didn't try the console push volume controls, but they had the same issues before. I also assume the issue continues to only affect the Radio and SiriusXM, and not other sources. This seems to be the much improved, still minimal issue to me now, so I probably will live with it. BTW, the SXM Favorites are still not showing, although each favorite channel is still marked as a Favorite. I assume this will clear up by itself as usual with a few days of use. Favorites missing is a much bigger issue, hopefully temporary. I'm on FSD Beta 10.69.2 (2022.20.15).

agree on the favorites, although mine still show up on the actual SXM favorites screen (it's in the recent view where they are missing). again though, I'm in a model 3. not sure if that is slightly different (although based on what I've read it seems we have a lot of the same issues you all do with the SXM UI).

my clipping / popping sounds are seemingly random, although I can usually make them happen as you said by scrolling the volume quickly or messing with the EQ. they also seem to go away after a reboot for a while, but always seem to come back eventually. sometimes even just changing channels back and forth gets rid of them for a bit...

also, can confirm I've only seen the issue on SXM and FM radio, not on any streaming inputs.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I think it is MCU related on my 2020, and my hunch is the faster processor in the 2021+ probably fixes the volume scratchiness and distortion.

one of the guys who put the plaid tuner into a model Y said he hasn't noticed any of the clipping issues inside the city (while within range of the terrestrial repeaters), which makes me believe this might just be an issue with the older tuner that is fixed by the plaid. he has to have the Intel MCU, because we haven't been able to get the retrofit to work with the AMD MCU. it only works with the Intel.

Possibly, but this issue changes with updates, and also affects FM (both radios). It wasn't there in 2020 when I bought my car. It got really bad for awhile. Now it is barely noticeable, but still there. I won't worry about it at its current state.

Any resolution to this issue? This would happen now and then on my 2018 model ass but I would push the two buttons on the steering wheel, reset the system and it would work fine until it started again. However this time it's doing it and no matter what I try to do it will not go away? I think it's associated with an update I received…

I just started noticing it is worse again today. I installed an update yesterday. Since my Tesla seems great except for some other software related glitches, I have never gotten service to look at it. I hope a future update makes things better.

Yes, absolutely having this issue. It’s to the point where I do not even want to listen to audio. Cannot use Bluetooth for hands-free as it cuts out. Check out my four video examples at https://www.youtube.com/@jarrodklunk. Had it in last week to the SC and they told me it’s a firmware issue, nothing they can do, and Tesla may (but probably will not) fix it in a future update. Had a mobile service scheduled for today but they cancelled and moved it to onsite at a different SC next week. I’m not optimistic. For me, it’s SXM and FM. I do not have the noise problem in streaming, but it does skip for a second at a time and goes back two seconds to replay. I’m not sure where to go with this.

Yes, absolutely having this issue. It’s to the point where I do not even want to listen to audio. Cannot use Bluetooth for hands-free as it cuts out. Check out my four video examples at https://www.youtube.com/@jarrodklunk. Had it in last week to the SC and they told me it’s a firmware issue, nothing they can do, and Tesla may (but probably will not) fix it in a future update. Had a mobile service scheduled for today but they cancelled and moved it to onsite at a different SC next week. I’m not optimistic. For me, it’s SXM and FM. I do not have the noise problem in streaming, but it does skip for a second at a time and goes back two seconds to replay. I’m not sure where to go with this.
I just watched your video and my car is doing the exactly the same thing. Mine seems to only do it on satellite radio.

I guess I will try to make some kind of appointment and see what they say. What a horrible excuse it is to say that it’s software related but they’re not gonna fix it.

Interesting development today—I also have a 2016 Model X where I upgraded to MCU2 but did not add SXM/FM tuner. Was fine until today, when streaming starting pausing/skipping back just like my Model S. I just upgraded software to 2023.2.10 last night.

I’d recommend waiting on the software upgrade if you are not having problems, as I now have it with 2015 MS and 2016 MX. I’m guessing there could be issues with M3 and MY as well.

My SiriusXM (SXM) has a scratchiness in the volume control and in the sound. When I adjust the volume, either using the steering wheel control or the buttons on the main screen, there is a static, scratchiness sound like we used to get sometimes with analog volume controls where the resistive control sometimes corroded. I can move the control fast and slow, and the static always follows the speed. Also the scratchiness occurs when not adjusting the volume on the media content, but only on SXM. No other media source exhibits this static-type noise / distortion. Does anyone else have this issue or any suggestions as to the cause?
Same thing happening to me. 2019 MS. FM radio and Sirius scratchy but Bluetooth sounds fine. Do FM and Sirius use an antenna?

I did not think it could be a firmware issue until it started happening in my MX today. Now I’m thinking it may truly be firmware. Multiple additional reports…hopefully the volume alone will get Tesla on this, as for those who haven’t seen my earlier posts, the SC told me last week that it’s a known firmware problem that Tesla may or may not fix (and basically, they have bigger fish to fry and I should not get my hopes up).

I did not think it could be a firmware issue until it started happening in my MX today. Now I’m thinking it may truly be firmware. Multiple additional reports…hopefully the volume alone will get Tesla on this, as for those who haven’t seen my earlier posts, the SC told me last week that it’s a known firmware problem that Tesla may or may not fix (and basically, they have bigger fish to fry and I should not get my hopes up).

much more important to add remote fart noises. elon is a joke.

Reactions: COS Blue
Received a call this morning from Tesla Service…seems they are now getting multiple reports of this issue, primarily on MX and MS older models. They are aware of the issue, cancelled my SC appointment, said it is clearly a firmware issue and they are working on it. He could not give me an ETA (I asked if we were looking at a day, a week, a month…he said no idea). He suggested I wait for the next software release and see if that fixes it. He also told me it is a high priority for engineering.

Not sure I believe that is true, but I’d encourage as many people as possible to submit a service request and hopefully the sheer volume alone will move it up the ladder of importance. It seems to be happening more often in both of my Teslas.