Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't figure this one out. Tesla 3 - audio clicks and pops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 2021 model 3 LR, with heat pump and Intel CPU. Everything was fine, audio quality was superb, best I experienced in any car for many years).
But since new year, FM radio got distorted, loud high frequency clicks and pops are ruining my experience. Also having issues connecting calls - loud clackling when switching from radio to phone, and sometimes the other party can't hear me, I either need to recall them, o use an earpiece.
I hoped this is just a software issue and will sort itself, however there were numerous updates since then and this has not improved. It sounds like.. you know, when and old PC has huge IRQ latency and the audio is chopped and re-glued randomly.
There are extra clicks and pops when adjusting volume and equalizer in audio settings. Something really messed up with audio processing.

I have tried googling but could not find this exact issue to be discussed. I have included a link to recording on youtube.

I called support and after almost an hour of waiting, they suggested I hard-restart it, and if it does not help, I need to come to service center.

The restart did not help and bringing it to service center is a 3-day operation, as closest one is 8 hour drive for me. This is intermittent and I'm afraid they will say it's fine even if I bring it to them.

Is this a known issue with a known cure?

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue. After repeated service requests and discussions, I started submitting service request with time and date stamps when this occurred. It allowed the tech group to isolate the incident within the diagnostic logs. It was so bad, particularly while in reverse, that eventually my main computer (MCU2) was replaced. Now I do experience the same pops and clicks but occasionally. I will be sending the the time stamps. I suspect that this is a software issue.

Reactions: elektrinis
I'm in a 2021 model 3 performance, with heat pump and Intel CPU. Having the exact same issues and opened a service appointment for it earlier today. Mine clicks and pops on occasion, most typically when the car is making other sounds (but not always). Oftentimes the bass/rear speakers seem to cut out momentarily as well. Will let you know what I find out, if anything.

Reactions: elektrinis
After providing Tesla service several timestamps where the issue occurred they confirmed that my issue, occurring with system sounds, is a known bug that will be addressed in a future software update. They did not provide a date for when the fix would be in.

Short update. 6 weeks ago teslas support had no clue about this and offered to bring in the car.
Raised another ticket now, and they say it's a known issue and will be fixed with updates.
Somewhere else I found that tesla promised to fix it with 2023.20 update. I have installed it last week and the issue is still there.
The worst part about this is that I am suffering this awful audio problem for 6 months now and not only there's no fix yet, but it seems like they have learned about it only 5 months since it started.
Also still waiting on wiper fix. How long is it, like 5 years now?