Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM Volume Scratchy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
right, but as i said that's a different and separate issue. the issue we're talking about here can be easily reproduced on either FM or SXM by changing the volume rapidly or trying to change the EQ while audio is playing. i have never been able to duplicate the same issue by doing the same thing on streaming or bluetooth, and i've tried many times. they're separate issues.
I get your point and you may be right, but I still think these issues are connected. Like you, I have static on my FM radio, especially when moving the volume control. This started at the same time I noticed short drop-outs in my streaming audio sources. Dropouts are brief (maybe 200mS?) and rare (1 every minute or so). I imagine most wouldn't notice them. And/or maybe the drop-outs don't occur with newer Infotainment systems.

And/or maybe the drop-outs don't occur with newer Infotainment systems.

for what feels like the billionth time: this happens on ryzen cars too.

i am not sure how many more times i need to say that i've physically observed it myself until people stop insisting this is only an issue with older cars, but it's getting more than slightly annoying.

Last edited:
A couple of notes. First, we've never seen the problem in our 2022 S or 2022 Y (both Ryzen) so either we are lucky or it's less likely on newer hardware. The Model 3/Y Ryzen is different than the S/X Ryzen, which has a separate GPU and likely other changes. From reading through this, it does seem to be mostly on MCU2 with the latest software. Not sure about the one owner who saw the issue in a Model 3 with Ryzen, but I'm not discounting it - just providing my own data.

One conjecture was it was some kind of reprioritizing for Autopilot or FSD. This is unlikely as the MCU2 can be dead or in a reboot, and Autopilot still works. as there is a separate redundant processor for AP. Still, perhaps the advanced AP display has some priority that causes the audio glitch.

I do like the conjecture that the processor has lowered the priority for some kinds of audio in favor of something else that is more important. I doubt it is something trivial or easy to fix, but I'm hopeful Tesla will come up with a solution. As more and more features are added to older hardware, it's easy to create undesirable side effects if you start to run out of hardware performance to run all the new software.

Turning off as many optional features as possible might yield a temporary solution. For example, try removing all USB devices (I think this was tried, but it wasn't entirely clear). Disable the FSD advanced display option. Disable Bluetooth and WiFi. If things start working, you can add back features to see what doesn't bring the problem back.

for what feels like the billionth time: this happens on ryzen cars too.

i am not sure how many more times i need to say that i've physically observed it myself until people stop insisting this is only an issue with older cars, but it's getting more than slightly annoying.
I'm not insisting :). Didn't you say you haven't been able to produce audio drop-out with streaming or bluetooth? From your post on Thursday, March 9th....

"i have never been able to duplicate the same issue by doing the same thing on streaming or bluetooth, and i've tried many times. they're separate issues"

I think you're saying the static and drop-out are separate issues. I'm trying to connect them since they started at the same time for me. I understand that old and new cars have the radio static. I'm not aware that anyone with newer cars are reporting the audio drop-outs. How do we explain that? I theorize that drop-outs might be more prevalent in older cars because of the older Infotainment H/W. Just speculation and I might be wrong.

An update to my previous post - Today I experienced audio drop-outs while watching Netflix while charging at a Supercharger. They're rare but they happen.

I'm not insisting :). Didn't you say you haven't been able to produce audio drop-out with streaming or bluetooth? From your post on Thursday, March 9th....

"i have never been able to duplicate the same issue by doing the same thing on streaming or bluetooth, and i've tried many times. they're separate issues"

I think you're saying the static and drop-out are separate issues. I'm trying to connect them since they started at the same time for me. I understand that old and new cars have the radio static. I'm not aware that anyone with newer cars are reporting the audio drop-outs. How do we explain that? I theorize that drop-outs might be more prevalent in older cars because of the older Infotainment H/W. Just speculation and I might be wrong.

An update to my previous post - Today I experienced audio drop-outs while watching Netflix while charging at a Supercharger. They're rare but they happen.

I'm not sure why you quoted me here. I've always said any dropouts on streaming sources are different from the issue being discussed here.

the scratchy audio is very easily reproducible by either scrolling the volume quickly or making changes to the EQ while a radio source is playing. the same thing does not yield the same issue on streaming or Bluetooth. hence, separate issues.

to your point though, I have an Intel car and have never had any issues with Bluetooth or streaming, aside from the occasional weird drop where it kinda sounds like the volume goes to half or super low fidelity, then comes back to normal immediately thereafter...but those are few and far between. is that what you're referring to here? if so, that's definitely unrelated to the issue we're talking about here...that one has been going on since I took delivery of my model 3 in July 2018. the weirdness with the radio scratchy sound just started last year or just before that...it wasn't an issue for the first few years I had my car.

Reactions: ArtK
I have an appointment for 3/15 at Fremont. I'll ask again. Had my Model X serviced there two weeks ago, and Holy Crap. All new people and they were helpful, nice and did the right repair work in <24hr.

Going to demonstrate the cracking audio. I'm thinking something heavy metal at Volume 10 will do the trick to prove the issue and Piss them the hell off. Maybe XM 34-38 or well 31 for Some Tom Petty.

Reactions: crackers8199
I have an appointment for 3/15 at Fremont. I'll ask again. Had my Model X serviced there two weeks ago, and Holy Crap. All new people and they were helpful, nice and did the right repair work in <24hr.

Going to demonstrate the cracking audio. I'm thinking something heavy metal at Volume 10 will do the trick to prove the issue and Piss them the hell off. Maybe XM 34-38 or well 31 for Some Tom Petty.
I find it always crackles when you adjust the volume up and down quickly.

I do this so you don't have to. We all know this is likely a FW update issue as It started after a SW update. I asked Tesla to check the low voltage wiring for intermittent grounding issues, because let's be honest, if it wasn't for us, MCU wouldn't have a radio module at all. MCU2 upgrades too with the turnover at Tesla, one might expect a potential risk for mechanical assembly also contributing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 2.29.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 2.29.17 PM.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 76
I do this so you don't have to. We all know this is likely a FW update issue as It started after a SW update.
My experience over the last couple of years is that SW updates sometimes make the problem worse, and I am glad one of these recent updates have made the issue worse for so many others. I believe the problem started years ago (2) on my car. Some updates make it more apparent.

Reactions: crackers8199
There is hope: Tesla Club Austria just received an official statement:

Hi Bernd,

There’s a fix coming soon. As soon as it’s available, please download 2023.6.8 release. Further improvements to this issue will continue to be made.

Thank you,

Julia

The Tesla Team
My 2015 Model S is up to date with 2023.2.12. Seems like 2023.6.8 is a long ways away. Maybe EU versions are different.

The current release in the 2023.6 series is 2023.6.1, so 2023.6.8 is indeed a long way off, and this thread of updates is not applicable for the US.
EU Tesla Owners, 2023.6.8 has been released. Please report back if this fixes the SiriusXM distortion problem on your car. The fix is not listed in the notes. Thanks.