Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Skipping/Chattering wipers.. Tried and true remedy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
From day one, I've had chattering/skipping wipers - which has now become a real PITA as the daily rains have returned to Seattle... When the problem first appeared, I tried several fixes, to no avail. Cleaned with 91% isopropyl alcohol, window cleaner, etc. Cleaned the blades as well. Tried AqualPel (which I use successfully on my other cars), etc. Currently, still using the OEM blades that came with the car (June build), and the windshield remains treated with AquaPel. Any suggestions? If recommending new blades, please be specific as to what blades you are recommending, and if they are direct replacements to the OEM blades. I'm trying to avoid having to take a Porter Cable and glass compound/Bon Ami/Bar keepers friend to the windshield, if possible.

P.S. The SC is an hour drive each way, with traffic, so that's my last resort. Also, not interested in using RainX of any sort.

This happened to me when I first got my car. Tesla replaced it for free -- just book an appointment in the app. The new ones work a lot better. The downside is that whenever I use the fluid, it just runs down the driver window and leaves tons of streaks.

The new Portland SC took a few months to finish and then they had to move from the old location. In that case they bought an old warehouse and renovated it. It sat for a few months while in permitting, but once they got the permits work went fast.

OP I had this issue last year (chattering and smearing of one wiper blade). Tried some of the same remedies that you tried, then took it to the service center and asked. They replaced both wipers as a courtesy, and the problem was gone, and continues to be gone for me.

So, still using OEM wiper blades whatever those are. My local service center is close to my work, so it wasnt a chore for me to get there. Maybe you can buy a set from them over the phone and have them ship them or something (or order mobile service for them to replace at your home or work? Probably be a cost to it though.

OP I had this issue last year (chattering and smearing of one wiper blade). Tried some of the same remedies that you tried, then took it to the service center and asked. They replaced both wipers as a courtesy, and the problem was gone, and continues to be gone for me.

So, still using OEM wiper blades whatever those are. My local service center is close to my work, so it wasnt a chore for me to get there. Maybe you can buy a set from them over the phone and have them ship them or something (or order mobile service for them to replace at your home or work? Probably be a cost to it though.
Do you know if they did anything to the glass? If you tried a hydrophobic compound like AquaPel, did they remove it? I'd hate to spend $50 for blades only to find out the SC fix was more than blades...

Do you know if they did anything to the glass? If you tried a hydrophobic compound like AquaPel, did they remove it? I'd hate to spend $50 for blades only to find out the SC fix was more than blades...

I dont know, but I didnt treat the glass with anything at all. I cleaned it with glass cleaner only (invisible glass glass cleaner). Its possible they cleaned the glass with something else as well when it was back there. I didnt ask.

I dont know, but I didnt treat the glass with anything at all. I cleaned it with glass cleaner only (invisible glass glass cleaner). Its possible they cleaned the glass with something else as well when it was back there. I didnt ask.

An FYI, if you're using the 'Stoner Invisible Glass' glass cleaner, it might still have an additive (should say 'Rain Repellent' or something on the bottle) that acts like RainX or whatever. If the bottle is purple it's the rain repellent type. The blue bottle is glass cleaner only.

In my experience, the only way I could get the chattering wipers to stop is to replace the wipers with Bosch ones. I never bothered replacing the OEM ones with also OEM ones... but after buying Bosch Icon's that fit, the problem went away.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
An FYI, if you're using the 'Stoner Invisible Glass' glass cleaner, it might still have an additive (should say 'Rain Repellent' or something on the bottle) that acts like RainX or whatever. If the bottle is purple it's the rain repellent type. The blue bottle is glass cleaner only.

In my experience, the only way I could get the chattering wipers to stop is to replace the wipers with Bosch ones. I never bothered replacing the OEM ones with also OEM ones... but after buying Bosch Icon's that fit, the problem went away.

My invisible glass is the blue one.

My wife had the same issue on her Honda. In addition to cleaning the glass really thoroughly, I cleaned the rubber of the blades with McKees 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvinator. That stuff rocks on any rubber surface on the car, including the blades. No more wiper chattering.

A few years ago I started to clean the windshield with Meguiars cleaner wax. () it cut through various films. Use it like any other wax - clean windshield, apply wax/cleaner, let haze and buff off. I then remove the leftover wax with Sprayway glass cleaner or Invisible glass (any leftover wax will contribute to chattering on my Model S...as does Rain X). You might also try flipping the blades over if they can be.

The cleaner/wax: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Cle...96&sprefix=meguiars+cleaner+wa,aps,179&sr=8-1

Were the bosch icon's the proper fit, etc? If so, do you remember what sizes you bought, or did the place you buy them from have "correct" sizing charts for the model 3?