Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio playlists Gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opened an incident with Tesla. He tells me that he is working to find a solution. I received the 2018.32.6 firmware and I still have the same playlist loss problem.

I was going to do the same, as I opened a ticket with Slacker, got Frank as well and same answers. He was adamant that Tesla does not support Slacker Premium whatsoever. I showed him the manual in PDF, as well as a screenshot of the IN CAR manual ON the touchscreen saying Premium is supported. He also said it's a known bug with Android where your playlists disappear and will be fixed in a "future update" so I cancelled due to that reason anyway. Even without playlists Slacker Premium doesn't work in the car properly, as I can't play the same song more than once in a 24 hour period etc even though I'm logged in. I finally gave up dealing with him as he kept trying to tell me playlists have NEVER worked or been supported.

Frank S. (Slacker Radio)

Sep 6, 11:53 PDT

The first issue is a known issue with the Android app. We expect this to be fixed in a future version of the Android app.

For the second issue, Slacker Premium Radio is not supported for use in a Tesla. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Best regards,
Frank
Slacker Radio Support

----

Frank S. (Slacker Radio)

Sep 6, 12:11 PDT

Tesla has chosen not to offer support for Slacker's Premium Radio subscription benefits, so any benefits of that subscription are only available on an "as-is" basis, as they are not officially supported by Tesla nor Slacker on that platform. If a benefit stops working, then it would be up to Tesla to add support for the Premium Radio subscription in a future update to the car.
Best regards,
Frank
Slacker Radio Support

----

Frank S. (Slacker Radio)

Sep 6, 12:29 PDT

If this was relayed by someone at your local Tesla dealer, they may not be properly informed due to working in sales and not support, so we would recommend to contact Tesla Technical Support's phone number (1-(877)-798-3752) for any questions regarding your car's capabilities or supported functions.

If someone from Tesla Technical Support is claiming that the issue is caused by Slacker, then we would want to know who that individual is and what call center they work at (since that is not something that Tesla has communicated to Slacker through our business channels, and we would like to make sure that all employees of Slacker and Tesla can provide the correct information to customers to avoid future confusion like this).

Best regards,
Frank
Slacker Radio Support

----

Frank S. (Slacker Radio)

Sep 6, 13:40 PDT

As the screenshot states, you can use your own Slacker account, and that account can have either a Radio Plus or Premium Radio subscription attached to it. The extra benefits of Premium Radio, however, are not supported for use in the Tesla, so those extra benefits won't function properly in your Tesla. The Tesla car has only been designed by Tesla with Radio Plus in mind, so those are the only benefits that Tesla and Slacker support working in the car. Premium Radio features like playlists are only fully supported on the Slacker website, Slacker mobile phone apps, and Sonos speaker system.

Slacker does support Android. However, the current version of the Android app has a known issue that affects the feature you are having problems with. As mentioned, we expect this issue to be fixed in a future version of the Slacker Android app. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause in the meantime.

If you have any further questions please let us know and we'll be happy to assist further.
Best regards,
Frank
Slacker Radio Support

----

So my whole issue is that it would be one thing if it NEVER worked, like I told him, but it worked fine the first 2 hours I had my car until I did the software update to 32.5 then it stopped and has never worked since. My Slacker Premium functions identical to the free version and has no difference at all. So I decided to just keep Google Play Music and download songs I want since the phone is in a nice spot with the USB dock especially if I turn on Android Auto on it, pretty much does the same thing. Just disappointing as the free LTE with Slacker Premium was probably one of the top 5 things I was looking forward to with this car, if not top 3.

psykobunny - Those are some really bizarre responses from Slacker. Why don't they contact Tesla directly and sort it out? Slacker is the one who stands to lose subscription income.

My Model 3 was delivered in July and my custom playlists worked for three weeks (The car went through 2 software updates during that time).

How does one create an "incident report" with Tesla? Is that just contacting Service and reporting Slacker is broken? I've already made two verbal "bug reports" via the screen.

psykobunny - Those are some really bizarre responses from Slacker. Why don't they contact Tesla directly and sort it out? Slacker is the one who stands to lose subscription income.

My Model 3 was delivered in July and my custom playlists worked for three weeks (The car went through 2 software updates during that time).

How does one create an "incident report" with Tesla? Is that just contacting Service and reporting Slacker is broken? I've already made two verbal "bug reports" via the screen.

I know, I didn't post my responses because while professional, they were a bit heated just since the guy was so annoying. I kept saying it's fine if it never worked, but he kept acting like it has never worked and is not supported, yet there's videos of people showing Playlists in their cars working, and it did work for me.

I think it was a Tesla software update that broke it, so I'm waiting to see what happens with v9 as I'm hoping it might fix some things. I'm also not sure how to do an incident report, I just did the contact us in my Tesla account and picked Service. It just said someone will be in touch soon, so not sure lol.

I tried a bug report in the car but wasn't sure how. Tried saying file a bug report but it just would stop listening. Is there a bug reports section as I didn't see that? I heard you press the mic and say bug report followed by it, so I tried that but it stopped listening after my 5th or so word.

Say "Bug Report" and keep talking fast with no hesitation. You have to keep it very short. My last one was "Bug report Slacker premium playlists missing after last update"

I also believe the issue is on Tesla's end as the playlists disappeared immediately when an update (2 updates ago) finished.

It makes no sense to me, as I have to believe that someone high up the chain at Tesla was using Slacker playlists. The only other possibility I can think of is that perhaps Ver 9 will replace Slacker with a different streaming service.

I had the same conversation with Frank Summers from Slacker.

I find their responses very unprofessional. I, just like you @psykobunny83, got heated in my conversation with him, as he kept saying the same thing over and over again, even though I kept telling him that prior to a couple weeks ago, everything that "IS NOT SUPPORTED" was working just fine.

He also asked me for the name of the person at Tesla that said these features are supported.

I ended up canceling my Premium Slacker, right after that conversation with Frank. I do not use it for anything other than on my car. I use Spotify for everything else.

Note, I spoke to Tesla as well, and they are aware of the issue. They said that they are working on it, and put my car on the list to get the next available update. Which I did a couple days ago, however the update did not list any Slacker bug fixes, so I am not sure if it fixed the issue or not. And now I dont have Slacker Premium, so I wont be able to test it.

I really hope Tesla provides us with some alternatives to Slacker. It really is a very poor service with even worst customer service.

Here is an example of their knowledge:
upload_2018-9-10_11-5-5.png

Apparently, Tesla does not allow us to upgrade the account to Premium...

upload_2018-9-10_11-7-1.png

This problem still exists in 34.1. Any response you get from Slacker Support is a non starter, one hand doesn't talk to the other. It's a bug as playlists is still there as an option and the sign in is an option as well. This still works on the S. It'll come back. Tesla broke it, Tesla will fix.

"... This still works on the S." Good data point, thanks Klownicle - I wondered about that. You would think it would be a simple fix to compare against the old code. We're talking about infotainment, not some complex battery maintenance algorithm. Then again, software engineers at my old company would ignore easy fixes and work on some new feature instead because their boss was under pressure.

Those are my thoughts also. I found it strange there's not more people angry about their music all disappearing, but maybe not that maybe people use Premium with their car. Still odd though there's not more noise about it.

I'm hoping as well that version 9 replaces it with something else, or has a change to it which is why it's broken now. It doesn't seem logical for Tesla to block the playlist feature, since it's not like that uses more bandwidth or something as songs are songs.

I could even live without the playlists to an extent if there was a way to better interact with the desktop/phone version. If I have a streaming station on and hear a song I like,
I had the same conversation with Frank Summers from Slacker.

I find their responses very unprofessional. I, just like you @psykobunny83, got heated in my conversation with him, as he kept saying the same thing over and over again, even though I kept telling him that prior to a couple weeks ago, everything that "IS NOT SUPPORTED" was working just fine.

He also asked me for the name of the person at Tesla that said these features are supported.

I ended up canceling my Premium Slacker, right after that conversation with Frank. I do not use it for anything other than on my car. I use Spotify for everything else.

Note, I spoke to Tesla as well, and they are aware of the issue. They said that they are working on it, and put my car on the list to get the next available update. Which I did a couple days ago, however the update did not list any Slacker bug fixes, so I am not sure if it fixed the issue or not. And now I dont have Slacker Premium, so I wont be able to test it.

I really hope Tesla provides us with some alternatives to Slacker. It really is a very poor service with even worst customer service.

Here is an example of their knowledge:
View attachment 333693

Apparently, Tesla does not allow us to upgrade the account to Premium...

View attachment 333694

So frustrating! I signed up for a second Slacker account just to see if it was mine causing the issue as I thought I read someone on here saying you can log into the included Slacker account online with your Tesla credentials. That email for my Slacker is the same as my Tesla so thought maybe it was conflicting but no luck.

I'm more than happy to provide you with my login to my other Premium one if you wanted to test it out, since I was billed for 30 days so have it for nothing now. Send me a PM if you like and I can send you the password since I can always reset it.

Did you get on Tesla's list by calling them or just through the contact us thing on the Tesla Account page? That's what I did but haven't heard back yet and no confirmation or ticket number so not sure. I use Google Play Music mostly since it's included with YouTube Premium but was going to switch to Slacker if it worked in the car.