Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told by support when I called about my not having the use telsa account button that they would escalate it and figure out what is wrong.

Today the service center said you have to have premium connectivity as well as the support line saying the same thing and claiming they were wrong before.

Nowhere have I found that Tesla claims this. Regardless, the day after I picked up the car (2nd Owner) they moved it to my name and the premium connectivity went away yet slacker still was logged in and worked fine. It only stopped working because I hit the logout button trying to fix stuff that my son did because he has to touch everything.

So I guess the main question is, if it only works with premium connectivity and it continued to work when premium connectivity was off, can I just sign up for a month of premium connectivity, log back in and then be fine from then on? Will it cause the problem again when the car installs a software update?

Not really trying to be cheap, but I have unlimited hot spot and really don't need the premium connectivity, satellite maps aren't workth 10.70 a month to me. The slacker though does do radio stations fairly well and while I have been using spotify premium, it is lacking in the stations department. Mostly because I setup a station and it plays the same songs in pretty much the same order everytime I start the car.

Spotify (and Netflix, Hulu) should work from wifi no matter if you are subscribed to premium connectivity or not. See if you can login while connected to wifi. Also check Netflix and Hulu.

[EDIT] I don't think getting logged into Slacker will preclude the need to get premium connectivity for normal service. Setting up wifi hotspot *EVERY* time you get in the car would get real old real fast.

Last edited:
Nah, it would be better if they just had an option to not disconnect when you go into reverse or drive. It really should have an option to connect automatically to whatever hotspot and it would be no trouble at all. As of now its a little bit of an inconvenience.

There is no button on the slacker currently to login to tesla account.

I was told by support when I called about my not having the use telsa account button that they would escalate it and figure out what is wrong.

Today the service center said you have to have premium connectivity as well as the support line saying the same thing and claiming they were wrong before.

Nowhere have I found that Tesla claims this. Regardless, the day after I picked up the car (2nd Owner) they moved it to my name and the premium connectivity went away yet slacker still was logged in and worked fine. It only stopped working because I hit the logout button trying to fix stuff that my son did because he has to touch everything.

So I guess the main question is, if it only works with premium connectivity and it continued to work when premium connectivity was off, can I just sign up for a month of premium connectivity, log back in and then be fine from then on? Will it cause the problem again when the car installs a software update?

Not really trying to be cheap, but I have unlimited hot spot and really don't need the premium connectivity, satellite maps aren't workth 10.70 a month to me. The slacker though does do radio stations fairly well and while I have been using spotify premium, it is lacking in the stations department. Mostly because I setup a station and it plays the same songs in pretty much the same order everytime I start the car.

That was what I was thinking too. Not sure how I got signed out of my account but since then I am not able to use music streaming on wifi or connected to hot spot. Service says that because I do not have premium connectivity I am not able to use it. Not sure how to resolve this.. It says plainly on tesla website that standard connectivity should still be able to use music streaming on wifi. Any input would be helpful.

I will eventually sign up for a month to see if it works after that. Probably in June asi have a long drive to camp. I think it's extremely cheap if Tesla to do this nonsense especially since it's probably a single bulk agreement with slacker and how much money are they saving not including homelink and Carplay?

The satellite maps are extremely cheap and should be included.

I will eventually sign up for a month to see if it works after that. Probably in June asi have a long drive to camp. I think it's extremely cheap if Tesla to do this nonsense especially since it's probably a single bulk agreement with slacker and how much money are they saving not including homelink and Carplay?

The satellite maps are extremely cheap and should be included.
Let us know how it turns out... Right now I am using my own personal slacker account (livexlive).
There is a special 4 months trial.

wow i didn't know slacker still was an option on this car (model 3). i got my car on the 27th and saw an icon for slacker then but after the first update ( i had old firmware) i didn't see it anymore. i ASSumed tesla deleted it in place of spotify. i dont see a slacker icon in the tray like i do everything else. ive got premium connectivity.

since we are speaking about slacker, if I use teslas account info, is that better than my free account i already had? does the tesla credentials give you more slacker features over the basic account?

wow i didn't know slacker still was an option on this car (model 3). i got my car on the 27th and saw an icon for slacker then but after the first update ( i had old firmware) i didn't see it anymore. i ASSumed tesla deleted it in place of spotify. i dont see a slacker icon in the tray like i do everything else. ive got premium connectivity.

since we are speaking about slacker, if I use teslas account info, is that better than my free account i already had? does the tesla credentials give you more slacker features over the basic account?

Yes, the Tesla account is like premium, it has no commercials. Forgot what else it has, but it is better than a free slacker account. Maybe it was also unlimited skips or something. I don't recall.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
thank you. ill try teslas account.

how do i find out what the "tesla login/password" is? do i need to make a service call or is it your tesla login?
Thank you!

You don't login. It's auto set. However, if you logout, I think you're screwed. Maybe a car reboot will get you back in. Tesla will not give you the login for your account. Some people have had success with Tesla sales or something, but they are not supposed to give it out.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
The most recent software update to my 2018 Model X (the update that improved Sirius XM radio) has dramatically improved the sound quality of music from Slacker Plus. I have only my ears to measure the improvement, but they are telling me that the sound quality has markedly improved. Now if we can just find a way to reduce road noise.