Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight bump(s) while stopped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
So, my Roadster has a new oddity; while stopped at a traffic light (foot firmly on brake), I have several times now felt a slight bump or two, as if something was nudging the Roadster. It doesn't happen often, so I don't think I can take it to Tesla. Everything else is normal. (It reminds me of what my 2001 Prius used to do, if anyone here ever had one.) If anyone has had this happen, or has a notion of what it could be, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks much for the suggestions; I honestly was more concerned that something is going wrong with the braking system, like the brake booster cutting out momentarily, or something happening with the link between the motor and wheels. (is either of those possible, and how would I check?) But: I had nothing in the trunk, and I was stopped for maybe half a minute before it happened anyway; and I have rubber floor mats over the Tesla mats, secured from ever moving forward with a zip tie attached to the seat. I will make sure I am pressing on the brake harder when stopped in case I somehow let up a bit.

I had one incident that might be considered the inverse of yours. I was making a left turn, proceeding at a constant speed behind another car, when there was a spontaneous "thump" and hesitation. It only happened that one time so far as I am aware. I noted the time at which it occurred and dug into the log file to see if there was any evidence. I found a spot where the motor current dipped without any change in pedal position, but the 1-second resolution of the data is not fine enough to draw strong conclusions. Since I had determined the exact second at which this incident occurred, I sent the log file to Tesla and asked them to investigate. Nothing came of it, though.

Sometimes when the air conditioner compressor comes on it makes a noticeable thump that you can feel in the car. Even if you didn't have the AC on in the car the compressor might have started to cool the battery if you were on a long enough trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: DeedWest
I had this exact behavior. It felt like a slight bump (as if another car nudged me from behind) with an accompanying "thump" sound from the rear of the vehicle. Always while stopped with my foot on the brake. It was wildly inconsistent so I never bothered to report it to Tesla - there would be days when it would happen at almost every light, then it would go away for weeks at a time.

It eventually went away for good and I haven't seen this behavior for a year or two.

One thing I did notice that may be helpful to you - I experimented with putting the car in neutral while stopped at lights during days where this was happening frequently. The thump never occurred while in neutral.

Take that for what it's worth. I never thought I'd find anyone who observed the same thing, so I just wanted to validate that a) you're not crazy and b) it's probably not serious as I had this going on for years.

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster