Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight vibration when coming off pedal...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

Every now and again, I notice a short vibration, or shimmy in the steering wheel when I was accelerating but then come off the pedal quickly. I think there is some correlation with it being while in a curve (not a hard turn)

Not consistent.

I'm not a mechanical guy. Is there any logical reason this might occur, and/or has any one else had it?

500 miles on the car, TPM shows normal reading. AWD non P. 18" stock Aero's

Chicago area, temps in 30's.

I don't think it is road surface...but guess it could be.

Thanks

I noticed similar with my then new Model 3 - not correlated with pedal action but typically while exiting or entering freeways - i.e. lane changing. It turned out to be the Lane Departure Warning feature noticing the crossing of pavement lines without corresponding turn signal input. May be what you are experiencing - especially your comment about being on curves.

A slight vibration in the steering wheel (particularly in a curve) is almost guaranteed to be the Lane Departure Warning. The Lane Departure Warning kind of feels like you're driving over rumple strips in the pavement but is very soft/muted. In 12,000 miles of driving in the 3, I've received the lane departure warning numerous times. Only a couple of those times have been when there wasn't a reason for it if I was really being critical of my driving.

The most common time that I get it is when taking a curve on a highway entrance ramp and cheat a little to cut the inside of the corner. It's a
subconscious habit that many of us drivers have developed over the years. Some deactivate the LDW, which I think is the incorrect reaction. I've just been much more conscious about using turn signals and also just let autosteer do the bulk of the driving. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Gulfbear