Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow or Faster charge for battery health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the Tesla battery perspective, the consensus is anything Level 2 and below is considered slow charging so no perceptible difference to the main battery degradation.
From the efficiency standpoint, 240V is marginally more efficient than 110V. Further, if the battery needs to be heated or cooled in order to charge, reducing the amount of time of that charge is beneficial as that's less time wasting energy keeping the battery at a certain temperature.

Upvote 0
How much of charge is more important for battery health than how fast to charge.

Upvote 0
What is better for the battery:
Charging slow 110V 12A, or fast 220V 22A, or even faster 42A?
100v 12a is about 3 miles an hour. You going to wear out the cooling system.

220v 22a is still a slow charge.

At home, best would be 220v 60a, but that's still not a fast charge.

A fast charge would be a Tesla Supercharger, as high as 480v 300a. Recent reports say even that, doesn't hurt the battery. I know two people who've had a Tesla ~10 years and use nothing but a Supercharger, their batteries are fine.

Upvote 0
What is better for the battery:
Charging slow 110V 12A, or fast 220V 22A, or even faster 42A?
The United States hasn't been 110v/220v in almost 100 years, it's 120v/240v. But, the latest data shows there really is very little difference in battery degradation using 240v over 120v. You get more degradation due to time, usually the first year is the worst and charging over 55%. Unless you really need the range there isn't much point to charging past 55% anyway. Most people charge to 80% and that's fine too, however the battery health will suffer (even thought it's only slightly more). But here's the thing, it all depends on how long you plan on keeping your car because most people get a new car every 5 or 6 years. And even with battery degradation, that only means you would have to charge up more frequently on trips, so that would cost you a bit more.

Upvote 0
I charge every night to 90%. NJ PSE&G just gave me a nice surprise. A $111.00 rebate for off peak charging using my Tesla Gen 3 Wall Charger.

Attachments

• Tesla NJ PSE&G Off Peak Rebate IMG_0249.jpg
    Tesla NJ PSE&G Off Peak Rebate IMG_0249.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
I charge to 80% when my battery falls below 40% unless I’m going on a road trip. Not optimal, but the best compromise to me - don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good? I charge L2 32A at home almost entirely, I’d be more concerned about relying more on L3/4 charging. The difference between 120V and 240V isn’t that significant and I couldn’t rely on 120V anyway, too slow.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0