Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trickle charge deeper than fast charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have visited our son already three times with our 2023 Tesla Y LR (that is the same six one-way trips). One one-way trip costs 19-20%. Last Memorial Day weekend we spent a couple of nights there and did quite some local driving. Two days before going home I decided to use his 15A/110V outlet to charge back to 80%. That trickle charge took more than 36 hours. Lo and behold, having arrived home our Tesla Y had used only 15-16% of the battery charge. That results in a significantly lower mileage (mi/kWh)!
Question: does a slow trickle charge provide a “deeper” charge than my “fast” charge at my 60A/220V Tesla charging pole? [note: I have 5 times 19-20%, and one time 15-16%]

15A/120V is not a trickle charge, so I am unsure of your question. There are many variables that can explain the difference you saw. Here are a few:

• Temperature
  • Wind
  • Changes in elevation
  • Your average speed
  • Usage of Sentry
  • Overheat protection
  • How long the car sat asleep (from what you said this seems the most likely. If your car sat at your son's house the 5-times you saw the 19-20% usage, remember the car consumes power when just sitting there).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I drive 400 miles each way pretty regularly to visit family. The occasional time the wind pushes us home, our efficiency drops from ~300wh/mi to 260wh/mi. Made it so I could skip a supercharger.

Using the 120v plug does nothing to how much energy the car can accept or hold. All it does is take longer to charge.

... That trickle charge took more than 36 hours. Lo and behold, having arrived home our Tesla Y had used only 15-16% of the battery charge. That results in a significantly lower mileage (mi/kWh)!
I'm not sure what you're saying here. If the "trickle charge" resulted in a lower drain on your battery for the same trip (15-16% vs. 19-20%), wouldn't that reflect higher mileage in mi/kWh?

Question: does a slow trickle charge provide a “deeper” charge than my “fast” charge at my 60A/220V Tesla charging pole? [note: I have 5 times 19-20%, and one time 15-16%]
No, it doesnt.

Any difference is going to be due to something else, and there are a LOT of "something else's" it can be. Tire wear, wind, overall outside temperature, etc etc etc.