Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow supercharging in hot weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to try cleaning my terminals, as soon as I own up to something.

Having traveled 3500 km in the past three weeks, from Annapolis to Portland ME, then back to Annapolis and on to Santee SC for the eclipse, then home to Annapolis, I have an admission to make. I was mistaken about experiencing very low supercharging rates in very hot weather.

We did a lot of supercharging in hot weather during these trips, and the results were consistent and reasonable, once my spouse figured out something important. That is, the arrangement of charging ports at superchargers varies, and is often inconsistent with my assumption that as long as you don’t park next to another car, you will get the full rate as lone user, rather than the shared rate. Once we figured out exactly how to avoid sharing the charger by studying the designations (1A/B, 2A/B, etc.), we consistently had 60 kW or better up to 60% SOC, and completed a +50% charge within 30 min. On one occasion, we had no choice of charger and saw only 28 kW rate at the beginning. Once the other car departed, we were back up over 60 kW.

All that admitted, it is still puzzling to see the charging rate consistently start near 120 kW, but then drop to ~60-70 kW after just a few minutes, followed by a long plateau in that range, until 60-70% SOC, when it begins to taper off as expected. I suppose I would prefer to have the charger make an attempt at 120 kW charging before backing off. Still, it does strike me as strange that the superchargers are apparently unable to determine the most practical charging rate immediately and instead go through this exploratory period, presumably of cranking up the battery cooling system and monitoring the temperature increases at the battery and charging cable to determine how high a rate can be sustained. Much of this I’m inferring from Elon Musk’s speculations about the possibly future use of liquid cooled cabling for superchargers.

Or, is a few minutes of full charging rate just done to impress those of us who aren’t watching very carefully? I would really like to understand this system and how it works better than I do currently, and it would be nice if Tesla would just tell us what is going on. Has anyone figured it out?

IMG_0047.jpg
A typical charging profile...
Diagnosis?

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
@ThosEM - for the symptoms your describe it is very likely the poor contact between charge cable and port that is causing the overheat. Did you try cooling the cable with a wet rag or ice?

That doesn't sound very credible to me. The port terminals look clean as a whistle,. Also, shouldn't there be diagnostic messages generated by such conditions?

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
That doesn't sound very credible to me. The port terminals look clean as a whistle,. Also, shouldn't there be diagnostic messages generated by such conditions?

LOL. Um, no there definitely is not any user-exposed diagnostic message that informs you of this condition. Doesn't matter if your charge port is clean, the contacts on the supercharger connector could just as easily be degraded.

Reactions: apacheguy
Further reflections on this:

I've always been amazed that it is even possible to deliver 100+ kW through a connector of such modest dimensions, and have it double as an AC connector as well. Now it appears that this connector is in fact the weakest link in the complex chain of energy flow from the utility to the supercharger facility to the Tesla battery. It appears that the Tesla engineers went too far in their effort to make the connector small, light, dual purpose, and easy to use.

Perhaps one solution would be for Tesla to own up to the above, admit their mistake, and to begin negotiating with other charging facility representatives toward a *STANDARD* connector for high power DC and AC charging. I don't know, maybe CCS or CHAdeMO is already the best and should become a standard. Maybe a totally new connector needs to be designed. How the heck are we supposed to take seriously talk of 350 kW charging if our current connector can barely take 60 kW on a hot day? Maybe in Norway?

In any case, there is a fundamental need for a single standard spigot design (or at least a minimal requirement for adapters) to keep progress in EV adoption moving forward strongly. If the Tesla connector is a problem, it seems time to kill two birds with one stone by changing its design to one that other EV manufacturers can also accept as a standard.

Last edited:
Just completed a trip from Wash DC area to Oregon and back in my X. Multiple times I experienced this issue of superchargers ramping up at the beginning and then ramping down quickly to 60 kW or less. Sometimes changing stalls would fix the problem, other times it did not. I called Tesla a few times and once was told that my battery temp was "slightly above normal." Up until this trip, the X did not get driven very much (we have an S that we drive much of the time) and so the X didn't have a significant amount of charging cycles (or charge port wear).

I probably should have captured data at these stops to help sort this out, but oh well.......

Just completed a trip from Wash DC area to Oregon and back in my X. Multiple times I experienced this issue of superchargers ramping up at the beginning and then ramping down quickly to 60 kW or less. Sometimes changing stalls would fix the problem, other times it did not. I called Tesla a few times and once was told that my battery temp was "slightly above normal." Up until this trip, the X did not get driven very much (we have an S that we drive much of the time) and so the X didn't have a significant amount of charging cycles (or charge port wear).

I probably should have captured data at these stops to help sort this out, but oh well.......

Did you notice if the charging connector was unusually warm during any of these charges? Note that some posts here claim that cooling the connector can turn this around. I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

In many cases the charging connector was quite warm. In one or two cases it was quite hot. I have seen the posts about cooling of the connector but I didn't have a good means to try that. In the future, I will carry a few rags, ziplock bags, and water so that I can try this if needed.

My X is in for its first annual service right now and they have the logs from the times I called Tesla to inquire about slow supercharging. It will be interesting to see if they find anything unusual with the car.