Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slower Acceleration and weird behaviour 2020 Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alto

Oct 20, 2023
Toronto
Question for 2019/2020 Model 3 SR+ Owners

I have a 2020 (Purchased Dec 2019) with about 118,000kms (74,000mi) on the odometer. I’ve noticed the acceleration reduce quite a bit in comparison to my early 2021 build. Only differences are Michelin Radial X tires (80% tred) on the 2020 and mileage. Car doesn’t throw me into the seat or as responsive as the 2021. I also recently sat in a 2019 SR+ loaner which felt a lot zippier (60,000mi) and identical to my 2021.

Another thing to note, when backed onto my driveway with an incline, when putting the car into drive it lunges forward then the brakes grab a hold of the car, maybe about 1/5 rotation of the wheels.

Acceleration: Standard
Brakes: Hold
Obstacle Aware: Off

I have reset all tire configuration in the service menu and regular tire settings but no change in behaviour.

Anybody with similar experiences? Would the tires be detected by the computer and limit power? My old worn set also felt the same. Notably I don’t see the traction light come on nor do the wheels spin under hard acceleration from standstill, just lower power than usual.

I’d like to avoid the inspection fees Tesla wants to charge me to take a look as the basic warranty has expired. I have a service appointment booked but just want to know if this behaviour is normal for how much mileage this car has. Thanks