Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small Window Shattered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got our Model X on 12/21 (last month).

So far so great! But yesterday as the driver side falcon wing door closed, I heard a crunching sound of glass being shattered.

Small pieces of glass from part of the small window were found all over the concrete where I was parked.

The rest of that small window remains shattered, but we do not want to have all the pieces fall out until the car gets serviced (unfortunately, this happened on New Year's Day, and the Tesla Service Center nearby our house was closed. I filed a report with the 24/7 Roadside Assistance folks.)

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I've included pictures of the shattered window below.

window damage outside view2.jpg

Thank you to those who have replied. Because of the New Year's Holiday, the Tesla Service Center in Costa Mesa in Orange County, CA, will not be open for service needs until Thursday of this week the earliest.

In the meantime, we're crossing our fingers that the rest of that glass won't shatter when my wife drives the kids to school on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

Tesla really needs to improve their service, my ELR's motorized cup holder stoped working today so the Cadillac dealer dropped off a loaner and picked up my car within the hour.

Isn't Tesla suppose to have the best service, frankly after a 2-3 week wait for an appointment at Costa Mesa all of my issues are still not fixed!

Just got our Model X on 12/21 (last month).

So far so great! But yesterday as the driver side falcon wing door closed, I heard a crunching sound of glass being shattered.

Small pieces of glass from part of the small window were found all over the concrete where I was parked.

The rest of that small window remains shattered, but we do not want to have all the pieces fall out until the car gets serviced (unfortunately, this happened on New Year's Day, and the Tesla Service Center nearby our house was closed. I filed a report with the 24/7 Roadside Assistance folks.)

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I've included pictures of the shattered window below.

View attachment 208774
Just to be clear, are you saying the small windows shattered because the falcon wing door hit something as it open?? or the small windows shattered by itself for no obvious reason?

I had the same thing happen today the X was in the parking lot of my son's pediatrician, I took my son (7 months old) out of the X and hit the red button on the FWD to close the door while I walked away, I heard a pop went back and saw the small window had shattered on the FWD. I called the service center and they asked me to bring it in. I got to the service center and they said they hadn't ever seen anything like it, the door isn't misaligned and there didn't seem to be a reason the window broke. They ordered a replacement and told me it should be in, in a week or so.
IMG_20170116_142131.jpg
IMG_20170116_151901.jpg
IMG_20170116_151905.jpg

I had the same thing happen just this week- on New Years Eve! We’ve had our car for less than two weeks and after hitting the close button we heard an awful crunching and marble spilling sound. The falcon door came down and shattered the small window portion of the door. My images match everyone’s on this thread and I felt it was important to post as I also got the feedback of, ‘Never seen that before’ and where the woman checking me for my appt at Tesla challenged me on whether it was a break-in! Clearly not and a super frustrating experience after just getting the vehicle. The replacement was covered under warranty and they were speedy to fix it- however did an awful job (aka- didn’t do anything; SODO Seattle location) of vacuuming the shards of glass. That said, the door still looks to be going down a bit differently than the falcon door on the drivers side and when I told them they acted like I was seeing things. I will watch it closely and keep everyone updated.

Attachments

• CFB57DAA-F52C-4EB6-9EBF-726E9521A3F0.jpeg
    CFB57DAA-F52C-4EB6-9EBF-726E9521A3F0.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 52
  • BE1F8C0B-EA2A-4A92-A8C3-6B4B9026C019.jpeg
    BE1F8C0B-EA2A-4A92-A8C3-6B4B9026C019.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 60