TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Small Window Shattered

Discussion in 'Model X' started by tommyli2017, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tommyli2017

tommyli2017 Member

Just got our Model X on 12/21 (last month).

So far so great! But yesterday as the driver side falcon wing door closed, I heard a crunching sound of glass being shattered.

Small pieces of glass from part of the small window were found all over the concrete where I was parked.

The rest of that small window remains shattered, but we do not want to have all the pieces fall out until the car gets serviced (unfortunately, this happened on New Year's Day, and the Tesla Service Center nearby our house was closed. I filed a report with the 24/7 Roadside Assistance folks.)

Has anyone experienced this problem before? I've included pictures of the shattered window below.

window damage outside view2.jpg

2. MisterT2

MisterT2 Member

I am so sorry to hear this. I have not seen this before or heard of this. I did see some trim issues, but never broken glass. Good Luck!

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow. Don't recall seeing that posted about before, though I do think someone had an issue with a FW chipping the glass in that area.

That really is a freak occurrence. It will be fixed!

4. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Sorry to hear this happened to you! I haven't read about anyone else having tha problem, but I'm sure tesla will get you in asap!

5. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

That would make a grown man CRY.:(

6. SUMD

SUMD Member

I've seen a piece of glass being cracked due to misaligned FWD closing, but nothing like this! Take solace knowing that Tesla will fix this and your ride will be like new once again :)

7. tommyli2017

tommyli2017 Member

Thank you to those who have replied. Because of the New Year's Holiday, the Tesla Service Center in Costa Mesa in Orange County, CA, will not be open for service needs until Thursday of this week the earliest.

In the meantime, we're crossing our fingers that the rest of that glass won't shatter when my wife drives the kids to school on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Put duct tape on it. It's history anyway and it will keep the rest from falling out and seal it up a bit too.

• Informative x 1
  9. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Tesla really needs to improve their service, my ELR's motorized cup holder stoped working today so the Cadillac dealer dropped off a loaner and picked up my car within the hour.

Isn't Tesla suppose to have the best service, frankly after a 2-3 week wait for an appointment at Costa Mesa all of my issues are still not fixed!

10. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Just to be clear, are you saying the small windows shattered because the falcon wing door hit something as it open?? or the small windows shattered by itself for no obvious reason?

11. jimmythefrack

jimmythefrack Member

I had the same thing happen today the X was in the parking lot of my son's pediatrician, I took my son (7 months old) out of the X and hit the red button on the FWD to close the door while I walked away, I heard a pop went back and saw the small window had shattered on the FWD. I called the service center and they asked me to bring it in. I got to the service center and they said they hadn't ever seen anything like it, the door isn't misaligned and there didn't seem to be a reason the window broke. They ordered a replacement and told me it should be in, in a week or so.
    IMG_20170116_142131.jpg IMG_20170116_151901.jpg IMG_20170116_151905.jpg