Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smaller Cybertruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like this idea. I don't have need to seat 6. A smaller truck that would fit well in conventional parking spaces would have far broader appeal.

I think that would serve better as a bridge model than throwing a radical design at the most conservative of car buyers, the macho work truck.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Would love a smaller cybrtrk.
New full size pickups are just too big and the Colorado and Ranger missed the mark.
They have grow substantially over the size they were for 1999.
I like the size of the 1999 Silverado 2 door short bed sport truck.
It is sporty and can still haul whatever most people need.
The heavy haulers may need something bigger but for the average person this would be great.

What are people expecting? 5 seater with a smaller bed - direct Ranger competitor?

upload_2019-12-1_21-4-44-png.483662

Being similar size to the current Ranger makes sense - the Toyota Hilux is the most popular non-full-size pickup worldwide (the Ford, Chevy, and Ram full-sizes each beat it, almost entirely on North American sales, hence Tesla going after the biggest pickup market first), and the Toyota Tacoma is the most popular non-full-size pickup in the US. The Ranger competes against both.

Dimensions (W x H x L):

Toyota Hilux Double Cab (Europe): 1855 x 1815 x 5330 mm
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab Short Bed (US): 1890 x 1793 x 5392
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed (US): 1890 x 1793 x 5728

Ford Ranger Double Cab/SuperCrew 4x4: 1862 x 1815 x 5359 mm (European specs except for the width where they don't quote it without mirrors... the US specs are nearly identical)

Keep it under 3500 kg GVWR, and you could seat 5 in similar comfort to a Model 3 while maintaining the same utility as a midsize pickup and the same licensing as a car everywhere. Pedestrian safety may need tweaks to the front structure design, though.

Something like 1850 x 1800ish (a touch lower than the Hilux and Ranger, but in the same ballpark) x 5300-5400 mm would make sense for the "smolbertruck", versus the 2027 x 1905 x 5885 for the Cybertruck. And, at that 5.3-5.4 m length, might get a whole foot more bed than most of its competition, making it more useful (the long bed Tacoma is a foot more bed).

Reactions: dhrivnak
If the gross vehicle weight rating (vehicle weight plus payload) is over 4500 kg, it's exempt from the pedestrian safety regulations.

However, if it's over 3500 kg, special driver licensing is required, and commercial driving in it requires a tachograph, lower speed limits, and such. Basically, this thing will be extremely niche.

Worth noting that Tesla expects the Cybertruck to be Class 2b (8501 to 10,000 lbs, or 3856 to 4536 kg) and Class 3 (10,001 to 14,000 lbs, or 4536 to 6350 kg). Personally, I would be unsurprised if the Cybertruck that was shown last month is a North America-specific product, and the smaller Cybertruck is the actual European product (hence my comments about front structure design changes for pedestrian safety). If any full-size Cybertruck does come to Europe, I'd expect the RWD model to not come, as it's the one most likely to be under 4500 kg GVWR.