Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snippiness 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:mad:o_O
No, no, NO! And this is where we see how people keep getting this wrong over and over and over again (even electricians sometimes). Thank you, @bmil03 for linking to that other thread, but this was already discussed and corrected in this thread on the previous page!!

People have heard about that "next size up" rule, and they make this giant incorrect leap to the conclusion that a magic wand has now been waved that makes the whole thing, end to end, a full, legitimate 60A circuit. That is FALSE! It's still limited by the wire as a 55A circuit.
You can still put a 60 amp breaker on 6/3 nm cable. You just can’t pull 48 amps from the circuit.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom
You can still put a 60 amp breaker on 6/3 nm cable. You just can’t pull 48 amps from the circuit.
Wrong. It is fine to put 6-3 nm on a 60 amp breaker. It is stated in the code.

You need to make sure your continuous load is less than 44 amps.
You are being pretty annoying and misleading people. Please stop. I know this is all very nitty gritty, technically correct at the minutia level, but it is going to lead people to do installs wrong a lot, and there is no good reason to tell that to people. It is just not a good idea to use a 60A breaker with that, so please stop advising it.

You are being pretty annoying and misleading people. Please stop. I know this is all very nitty gritty, technically correct at the minutia level, but it is going to lead people to do installs wrong a lot, and there is no good reason to tell that to people. It is just not a good idea to use a 60A breaker with that, so please stop advising it.

What you said was wrong. Be accurate.

As far as very nifty gritty, that is why you hire professionals. There is nothing wrong with installing 6-2 nm cable on a 60 amp breaker. It is routinely done with air handlers and the like. You are falsely creating a generalization that doesn’t exist.

The over current protection device has little to do with wire size. In fact, there are some instances where it is perfectly permissible to install a 100 amp breaker on six awg wire.

It is important to be accurate.

If you put a charger that draws 48 amps on a 50 amp circuit breaker, the install would still be wrong. Telling people to “put it on a 50” is useless. Not to mention potentially more dangerous.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
What you said was wrong. Be accurate.
It is important to be accurate.
Yes, it absolutely is important, so you'd better give a citation for your accusation about me. Quote what I said that you think is wrong, and we'll discuss it instead of your B.S. vague accusations. You've been on a weird quest to give people dangerous, misleading advice on this topic for a very long time.

Can you quote where I gave anyone advice?
It is fine to put 6-3 nm on a 60 amp breaker. It is stated in the code.
You are telling people they can put a 60A breaker with 6 gauge Romex on their home charging installations multiple times.
What are they supposed to do with that?
They wouldn't be allowed to put a 60A outlet on it. They wouldn't be allowed to put a 50A outlet on it. They wouldn't be allowed to put a Tesla wall connector on it, because there is not a 55A circuit setting. All they can have is a set of bare wires, because there's nothing code compliant they can do with that. So by your telling people to use a 60A breaker, they are going to attach something wrong on the other end that is dangerous. You are being negligent and irresponsible in doing this just to try to score some kind of attitude points.

I have already gone through this in detail about how there is a very small window of technicality to using that wire with a 60A breaker on it, but there is nothing that can be properly set up for that on the other end for EV charging, so you need to stop telling people that it is OK to do.

And again, I am asking you to give the citation for the false accusation you made against me.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom and MN-MS100D
You are telling people they can put a 60A breaker with 6 gauge Romex

yes I am, that is true.

on their home charging installations multiple times.

no I am not. But it would be true if they turned down the current setting to below 44 amps.

What are they supposed to do with that?
They wouldn't be allowed to put a 60A outlet on it. They wouldn't be allowed to put a 50A outlet on it. They wouldn't be allowed to put a Tesla wall connector on it, because there is not a 55A circuit setting.

If there was a 55 amp setting, that would be wrong.

I have already gone through this in detail about how there is a very small window of technicality to using that wire with a 60A breaker on it, but there is nothing that can be properly set up for that on the other end for EV charging, so you need to stop telling people that it is OK to do.

it is because you are missing the point. The reason that 6-2 NM isn’t suitable for a car charger at 48 amps has nothing to do with the over current protection device.

So your point that 6-2 NM can’t be installed on a 60 amp breaker is 1) wrong and 2) irrelevant.

And again, I am asking you to give the citation for the false accusation you made against me.
What accusation?

• Disagree
I am getting tired of having to repeatedly correct your misinformation and lying.
You are telling people they can put a 60A breaker with 6 gauge Romex on their home charging installations multiple times.
no I am not. But it would be true if they turned down the current setting to below 44 amps.
And here's the lying. This is a thread about people's home installations for EV charging, and you have been telling people here in this thread that they can use 6 gauge Romex with a 60A breaker. Stop. The wall connector doesn't have a way to set for 44A continuous, so that is not a valid answer.
If there was a 55 amp setting, that would be wrong.
No, that is not wrong. That would be the only correct way to do this if it were possible. The 6 gauge Romex has a max rating of a 55A circuit, but the wall connector does not have a 55A circuit setting. End. Of.
it is because you are missing the point.
I am definitely not at all missing the point. The point in why we keep talking here is your stubbornness and obstinance in continuing to repeat things that are misleading to people and dangerous instead of accepting correction.
The reason that 6-2 NM isn’t suitable for a car charger at 48 amps has nothing to do with the over current protection device.
I am fully well aware of that.
So your point that 6-2 NM can’t be installed on a 60 amp breaker is 1) wrong and 2) irrelevant.
I am not wrong. I have said repeatedly, agreeing with you, that it is possible to physically take your hands and hook those two things together. That is a thing that can literally be done. What I have been correcting you on (for the benefit of people who have to read this thread) is making sure people know that it is NOT something that can result in a valid code compliant circuit for charging their electric vehicle, because there would be nothing valid that they could use on the other end of it. And that is why it is not "irrelevant"; it is actually vitally relevant. People need to know that trying to use a 60A breaker is not a way to get to the goal they are trying to accomplish.
What accusation?
You earlier accused me of saying things that are wrong. Cite them and explain why you think that.

I am getting tired of having to repeatedly correct your misinformation and lying.

I have lied about nothing nor have I given any misinformation.

And here's the lying. This is a thread about people's home installations for EV charging, and you have been telling people here in this thread that they can use 6 gauge Romex with a 60A breaker.

because you can, in many cases.

The wall connector doesn't have a way to set for 44A continuous, so that is not a valid answer.

gen 2 does...

No, that is not wrong. That would be the only correct way to do this if it were possible. The 6 gauge Romex has a max rating of a 55A circuit, but the wall connector does not have a 55A circuit setting. End. Of.

if you set the charger at 55 amps that would be more than 80 percent of the over current protection device (60) and that would be a code Violation.
I am definitely not at all missing the point. The point in why we keep talking here is your stubbornness and obstinance in continuing to repeat things that are misleading to people and dangerous instead of accepting correction.

What correction? If I am misleading them by accurately stating the code, perhaps they should refer to a professional. Sticking a 50 amp breaker on a charger charging at 48 amps is just as dangerous as sticking a 60 amp breaker there.

I am fully well aware of that.

I am not wrong. I have said repeatedly, agreeing with you, that it is possible to physically take your hands and hook those two things together. That is a thing that can literally be done. What I have been correcting you on (for the benefit of people who have to read this thread) is making sure people know that it is NOT something that can result in a valid code compliant circuit for charging their electric vehicle, because there would be nothing valid that they could use on the other end of it. And that is why it is not "irrelevant"; it is actually vitally relevant. People need to know that trying to use a 60A breaker is not a way to get to the goal they are trying to accomplish.

You earlier accused me of saying things that are wrong. Cite them and explain why you think that.
Just did???

• Disagree

gen 2 does...

if you set the charger at 55 amps that would be more than 80 percent of the over current protection device (60) and that would be a code Violation.

What correction? If I am misleading them by accurately stating the code, perhaps they should refer to a professional. Sticking a 50 amp breaker on a charger charging at 48 amps is just as dangerous as sticking a 60 amp breaker there.

Just did???
as an electrician I find these arguments extremely entertaining... get a room guys!

Reactions: qdeathstar
Yes, you have. You are continuing to tell people they can use a 60A breaker with 6 gauge Romex. While it is allowable to connect those things together, they cannot be used that way.
No, it can't. And this is what I am trying to get through to you. I get what you want. You want a pat on the back for thinking you "pulled a fast one" on the NEC and got away with something that's wild but code compliant.
You can put in that cable, and then you can put a 60A breaker on it, and then you get to proudly strut around with that code compliant HALF of a circuit that ends in bare wires. But there is no legitimate way to USE that. If there were some kind of appliance that said that it needed exactly a 55A circuit, then you could hardwire that on, and that would be right, but there generally aren't any. And there definitely aren't any EVSEs on the market that use a 55A rated circuit. So the next thing that anyone would have to do if they wanted to use it is to take that apart and replace either the wire or the breaker with something different that will match the EVSE or outlet that would need to be attached at the other end.
gen 2 does...
No, it definitely doesn't. That is a lie. Here is the manual for it:
It skips from the 50A circuit setting (providing 40 continuous amps) to the 60A circuit setting (providing 48 continuous amps). There is no setting for a 55A circuit providing 44A, as you falsely claim.
That would be wrong, but I never said or suggested that--stop putting words in my mouth that I did not say. I said setting it to a 55A rated circuit, to match the max rating of that cable. That could supply 44A continuous. That could be a hypothetical way to do this if it existed, but there aren't any EVSEs available that have a setting like that, for this very reason--there isn't a common breaker for that. So they only make them to be for normal settings like 50 or 60 rated circuits.
What correction?
I am trying to clear this up that if people want to install something valid that they can use for home charging, they should never try to pair up the 6 gauge cable with a 60A breaker. They just can't be used together to make a full, usable circuit for EV charging. If you would just admit those can't be used together and stop telling people they can, this can stop.
If I am misleading them by accurately stating the code, perhaps they should refer to a professional.
Sure, they could, but we all could also stand for you to stop giving bad advice.
Sticking a 50 amp breaker on a charger charging at 48 amps is just as dangerous as sticking a 60 amp breaker there.
:mad: ...which is why NO ONE IS SUGGESTING DOING THAT!!! That would be obviously, blatantly, seriously wrong, and you are being intentionally trollish to imply that people are suggesting it. We have been saying over and over, (which you insist on willfully ignoring) that given that level of cable in the wall already, the best reasonable thing anyone can do with it is just to make it a standard, normal 50A rated circuit, which supplies 40A to the car. That's it--very simple and correct and code compliant.
as an electrician I find these arguments extremely entertaining... get a room guys!
Yeah, well, it's getting less entertaining each time it keeps going around.

Yes, you have. You are continuing to tell people they can use a 60A breaker with 6 gauge Romex. While it is allowable to connect those things together, they cannot be used that way.

You can definitely do that. You can do it fine with motors and heating units.

No, it can't. And this is what I am trying to get through to you. I get what you want. You want a pat on the back for thinking you "pulled a fast one" on the NEC and got away with something that's wild but code compliant.

it’s not wild. The nec code explicitly states you can put a higher ampacity breaker on 6-2 nm cable.

You can put in that cable, and then you can put a 60A breaker on it, and then you get to proudly strut around with that code compliant HALF of a circuit that ends in bare wires. But there is no legitimate way to USE that. If there were some kind of appliance that said that it needed exactly a 55A circuit, then you could hardwire that on, and that would be right, but there generally aren't any.

Sure there are. Air handlers and motors

Sure, they could, but we all could also stand for you to stop giving bad advice.

im not giving any advice.

:mad: ...which is why NO ONE IS SUGGESTING DOING THAT!!! That would be obviously, blatantly, seriously wrong, and you are being intentionally trollish to imply that people are suggesting it. We have been saying over and over, (which you insist on willfully ignoring) that given that level of cable in the wall already, the best reasonable thing anyone can do with it is just to make it a standard, normal 50A rated circuit, which supplies 40A to the car. That's it--very simple and correct and code compliant.

you suggested a 55 amp setting. There is no such thing. There is only an amperage setting. Which you infer from that the over current protection and wire size required. That’s why telling someone to put a 50 on it is dumb advice that teaches them nothing.

Did you know it is perfectly acceptable in some cases to put a 125 amp breaker on 6-2nm cable?

• Disagree
You are such a piece of work. You've been lying so much you've even started arguing against yourself now.
They wouldn't be allowed to put a Tesla wall connector on it, because there is not a 55A circuit setting.
gen 2 does...
you suggested a 55 amp setting. There is no such thing.
First, you insisted it does; then you say it doesn't.
There is only an amperage setting. Which you infer from that the over current protection and wire size required.
And this is false again. I gave you the link to the manual. Would you care to actually read it instead of lying about its contents?
On page 22 of that manual, it has a table with 3 columns. Column #1 is the switch position. Column #2 is the supplied output current. Column #3 is the circuit breaker value. The overcurrent protection value is listed in print. I don't need to "infer" anything.

And I am going to bow out at this point, since you don't seem interested in an honest discussion in the least.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
You are such a piece of work. You've been lying so much you've even started arguing against yourself now.

First, you insisted it does; then you say it doesn't.

And this is false again. I gave you the link to the manual. Would you care to actually read it instead of lying about its contents?
On page 22 of that manual, it has a table with 3 columns. Column #1 is the switch position. Column #2 is the supplied output current. Column #3 is the circuit breaker value. The overcurrent protection value is listed in print. I don't need to "infer" anything.

And I am going to bow out at this point, since you don't seem interested in an honest discussion in the least.

the last time I checked the NEC isn’t written by Tesla. Your right about what the Tesla manual says, but not about whether or not 6-2nm cable can be installed on a 60 amp breaker in some cases. The nec explicitly states that it is permissible.

• Disagree
Seriously.... Just F-off with the BS.

From your screen name (rxlawdude), I'm guessing you are an attorney. I'm not one, but I think what you are doing is drawing a conclusion from circumstantial evidence. It is certainly not a conclusion supported by facts. I don't know what the software is doing behind the scenes either, but I do disagree with the conclusion you are drawing from the evidence presented. Now if a guy like @verygreen tells us that the AP software jumps to a completely different section of code when the car goes on the highway and that code is identical to the existing NOA code, I'll retract my statement. In the meantime, given everything I do know about control system coding and automation coding, I would be shocked if the Beta software is doing what you describe...it would mean they effectively have two variants of the software (NOA and FSD Beta) kludged together into one giant package and are jumping between the two based on where the car thinks it is. From a software development perspective, that is a really stupid way to code because it creates massive potential for conflicts between the old code and new code and doubles the size of the file(s). But again, I don't know what is happening "under the hood" in FSD beta anymore than you do...

Reactions: rxlawdude
Yeah, totally normal. :rolleyes: /SARCASM

Just bought a Model Y a few weeks ago. Im currently away on vacation so I have my Tesla plugged in back home and set to charge at 55%. It is currently 40-50F degrees daily and i noticed that in 3 days it the charge dropped from 80% to 59%. The car is off and not using any power except for sentry mode. Is this battery loss normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.