Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chains older Model S RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long does it typically take to put the chains on in real life conditions? For example when there is already a couple of inches of snow and conditions are getting worse and the light is not great?
Like some of the previous posters live on a fairly steep hill and would only need them for a mile or two. There is a convenient turn off with a street light before the hill.
Cable chains are fairly easy, so long as the wheel wells aren't already packed with snow — then it would be really hard. I'd guess ten to fifteen minutes if it isn't too cold, but it involves lying on the ground to hook the inside attachment. I was unable to do it with gloves, so in serious cold that's a problem trying to hook them up with numb fingers. Taking them off is sometimes harder because you have to roll each wheel to where the latches are accessible and that can be a nuisance.

I've never tried the Tesla approved chains, but those may be easier.

trying to decide whether to (1) wait another 14 months or so for the AWD Model 3 (2) get one of the first batch of RWD Model 3 in a few months (I currently swap out snow tires mounted on rims so know the drill) and good to hear that snows on the RWD Model S work well (3) get a 75D; about the only concern with the RWD Model 3 is snow/ice

The combination of modern snow tires, stability control and an even weight distribution makes the RWD Model S into a capable snow car. The Model 3 will be lighter but I would guess that it would handle about the same. Yes, AWD plus snow tires would be even better, but it isn't necessary for ordinary driving, assuming that you are reasonably careful and the snow isn't too deep. Roads here get plowed and sanded promptly so it isn't usually a concern. However, my long, steep, curved driveway is a challenge in winter even when it is shoveled. It sometimes gets icy and stays that way for days or weeks, but the S plus snow tires worked fine. It changed my view about RWD Teslas.

If someone is a first responder who has to head out into a blizzard, AWD would be preferred, although I would think those folks use high ground clearance SUVs or trucks.

AWD has other advantages in better range and better handling, but it comes at a cost. And if you lose the full tax credit — assuming that you qualify (I don't) — that cost will be a bit greater.

Some Tesla drivers set the regen to low when driving on snow and ice to prevent regen braking from causing a loss of traction. I don't bother with that but I use the regen gently when conditions are slick. I think it is more of a problem with neophyte snow drivers who go too fast for the conditions, and then compensate by pulling their foot all the way off the "go pedal", rather than feathering it, and end up with too much regen braking.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911