Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of discussion of snow tires. I purchased Hakkepellita H2s and have driven in all kinds of cold, snowy and icy conditions. Performance has been excellent.

I have a different issue - very frequent balance issues. I suspect that this is caused by the inside of the turbine wheels gathering snow, ice, sand and salt. The gathered material is not evenly distributed and causes the wheels to be out of balance. The car drives with a shake that grows with speed.

Does anyone know of a wheel that is designed to slough materials from the inside of the rim, rather than gathering it?

Lots of discussion of snow tires. I purchased Hakkepellita H2s and have driven in all kinds of cold, snowy and icy conditions. Performance has been excellent.

I have a different issue - very frequent balance issues. I suspect that this is caused by the inside of the turbine wheels gathering snow, ice, sand and salt.

Just wondering...did you really mean Turbines, or did you actually mean Cyclones? Turbines are 21", Cyclones are 19".

Over the years I've had all kinds of cars and even a pickup truck or two ride rough after slush and wet snow have frozen to the wheels, especially the back side. Many wheels pick up a decent build up when the weather starts out with wet snow, one then parks outside, and temperatures fall, often after the storm clears out. Usually the ice melts away when I park in my garage, but it can be a problem if the car is parked outside and then one gets onto a highway that is sufficiently clear of snow to allow normal highway speeds. Obviously, ice can adhere to the wheels and hang pretty tough. Once or twice I've gone to a self-service car wash to melt away a stubborn build up when I had so much junk in the garage that the car wouldn't fit inside for a defrost session, but all of this is a somewhat rare collection of circumstances. Usually any driving I do when the wheels still have ice on them is done on roads so sloppy themselves such that driving speeds are depressed enough that temporary wheel imbalance issues don't arise.