Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lite snow, still making 4KW.

IMG_6819.jpeg

Just for a comparison... I have a small system with eight panels about twenty-five feet up on the roof. It looks like about a foot and a half of snow on them. In the previous six days: two days of three watt hours, two days of eight watt hours, and two days not enough current to light up the zigbee communications. Zilch for today, so far. I hope no one is in the driveway when it finally decides to avalanche.

yeah, it's a real problem here for me. i remember asking the Tesla sales guy about snow on the panels back in 2018 when I first got solar. He said "it melts right off!"..... Well, No, it doesn't melt right off if it stays below 20f for a week. I won't see any solar production for at least 7-8 days here. Thank God and Thank Elon for finally allowing a grid charging option or the vampire drain would really put me at risk of being caught with my pants down. We have had 4 separate grid outages here of more than 12hrs each in the last 2 weeks.

Reactions: bemyax
There do make plastic snow rakes for solar panels...
e.g. https://www.amazon.com/EarthMark-Avalanche-Removal-System-SnowRake/dp/B00RY8II4Q/
(Not advocating any particular design/manufacturer...)

A lot depends of course on how the snow fell in the first place, and whether or not there is a solid 1/4" of ice bonding the snow to the panels. I agree that at -5F, or so, not much melting is going to happen, but less snow means that whatever melting or sublimation does happen will improve the situation more quickly.

All the best,

BG