Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So apparently phone charging cables, 14-50 adapter, and J1772 are not included anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given this apparent cost-saving trend to no longer include some accessories, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped putting the floor mats in premium interiors like they did for the SR+ partial premium! I've read before that some owners had success with fitting generic right-angle cables in the phone tray that cost less than half of what Tesla wants for theirs, but having to shell out for the J1772 adapter would be a real annoyance.

Note: I don't know the correct answer for the SR+. My statement applies to the "premium interior" variants.
I took home delivery of the SR+ and found both cables (USB-C and Lightning) in the center console armrest.

Last edited:
No. They just threw the J1772 adapter into the bag when it’s delivered with the car. When you buy the Mobile Connector bundle (either generation) it never had a J1772. That was always sold separately. The J1772 adapter has nothing to do with the UMC.
You are correct, I just realized I was confusing the page on the Tesla store with the page talking about what is included in the car.

The page that talks about what is included with the car still says J1772 is included, which is a good thing:
Mobile Connector

The Mobile Connector is included as standard equipment with a new Tesla.

This bundle includes:
  • Mobile Connector (20 feet)
  • Adapter for standard 120 volt household outlets (NEMA 5-15)
  • Cable organizing bag
  • Adapter for public charging stations (SAE J1772)

Let's hope it stays that way, since that's a pricey item!

I ordered a LR AWD Model 3 and was told the car would come with the mobile connector which would include a NEMA 5-15 adapter only - I'd have to buy the 14-50 separately (which I ordered 2 days ago and still have not received a tracking number for).

I am hoping mine comes with the phone charging cords since they are specially designed to fit in the charging area...
You might want to skip those cords and get a wireless charging pad if your phones support.

So the phone charging cords...I'm gathering these aren't just standard USB-C cords? What's the difference? And like someone else mentioned, sounds like a wireless charging pad might be good option?

(Dont have my car yet (next week) which is why I'm asking)

So the phone charging cords...I'm gathering these aren't just standard USB-C cords? What's the difference? And like someone else mentioned, sounds like a wireless charging pad might be good option?

(Dont have my car yet (next week) which is why I'm asking)

They are right angle USB C and right angle lightning cable. I am extremely happy with the nomad wireless charging pad I have.

Ah I see..so they're right angle. I'll look into the nomad thx!

Another vote for the Nomad. I have the charging cables sitting on the workbench in my garage. Installed the Nomad and never looked back. For the unwashed guests who may not be able to wirelessly charge, I have a 12V Anker charger + Lightning cable sitting in the console.

If you use Micro USB, you're in the wrong car. :)

Taking about these USB phone charging cables. I took delivery of a Model 3 Perf 2 days ago, and no cable either!! For a $60+K car, this is cheap on the Tesla's side...And Tesla is out of stock! So I can't even purchase the cable from them.

Can somebody confirm the length of those cables? I'm going to try to find some online? Unless somebody already has a link of where we can buy them?
thx!!

Taking about these USB phone charging cables. I took delivery of a Model 3 Perf 2 days ago, and no cable either!! For a $60+K car, this is cheap on the Tesla's side...And Tesla is out of stock! So I can't even purchase the cable from them.

Can somebody confirm the length of those cables? I'm going to try to find some online? Unless somebody already has a link of where we can buy them?
thx!!

If your phone is compatible and you're interested in wireless charging, you wont need the cables if you get the wireless charging pad.

thx!!

My friend took delivery of his Model 3 in December. While not an elegant solution he used his iPhone cable plugged into the front to get him buy. I'm not sure how he lays his phone when he's charging but in a pinch until you find a solution as long as you have a USB-A end cable that connnects to your phone I think you should be able to use as a workaround.

We have the Tesla cables that came with our cars back in 2017 and 2018 and are perfectly happy with them and use them in the car's charging dock run from underneath. Honestly they are that expensive and work just fine. Some Tesla service centers may have them in stock but they come and go like some other popular items from the online Store.

If your phone is compatible and you're interested in wireless charging, you wont need the cables if you get the wireless charging pad.

I know. But just like it's bad to keep your car batteries always topped off, it's bad for the phone as well.
I want to be able to rest my phone on that pad without it charging if it doesn't need to. Hence I prefer the actual connector pin/cable.

Any source to purchase those cables other than Tesla themselves? Since they're always out of stock?!?

I guess you are looking for the Lightning + USB-C Bundle? Other than the online store or local service centers, I thought I read a thread a little while back that Monoprice.com had cables in stock that worked so you might want to do a search on the forum here for a specific recommendation just to be sure they work and which ones to buy.

Found it, give a read through this thread to answer your questions: Monoprice phone cable same as Tesla branded? We bought inset ceiling speakers and HDMI cables from Monoprice and found the quality very good and easy to purchase from btw.

I think others have ordered something off Amazon but deliveries from them what with the CV are suppose to be delayed by quite a bit as not given priority. I would probably just try using your current charging cable temporarily without threading it through the docking station and get on the wait list for the Tesla ones if it were me. They do email when they come in and people here will start posting alerts too. With all the new cars being delivered this month you likely have a lot of competition for cables. If you want to spend more you could always go with one of the charging pads if the convenience is worth the cost to you.

Last edited: