Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, does it bother anyone else ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be careful with the chandeliers and bulb temperature. We installed ia LED fixture a lower temp (2800K) "Edison" bulb for a warmer glow. They look great but if you turn the power up close to 100% they start flickering and then shutdown for seconds at a time. We asked the electrician about it, and he said it is a function of the bulb color temperature. I replaced the bulb with higher temperature (5500K) bulbs and the flicker went away. But the bright white light looked cheap. So, we are back to the "warm" white (2800K) bulbs and never turn up the power to 100%.

Lol my wife thinks yellow (warmer) lights look cheap since it reminds her of older homes. The only way to win is to get color-temperature-selectable LEDs on dimmers.

Lol my wife thinks yellow (warmer) lights look cheap since it reminds her of older homes. The only way to win is to get color-temperature-selectable LEDs on dimmers.
I agree with your wife in many situations, but in the formal dining room, which we use only for holidays, the bright white does not look right when you have the Turkey and garlands out.

I guess I will have to look into those bulbs you mention. FWIW, how do you select the color temp on them?

Be careful with the chandeliers and bulb temperature. We installed a LED fixture with lower temp (2800K) "Edison" bulb for a warmer glow. They look great but if you turn the power up close to 100% they start flickering and then shutdown for seconds at a time. We asked the electrician about it, and he said it is a function of the bulb color temperature. I replaced the bulb with higher temperature (5500K) bulbs and the flicker went away. But the bright white light looked cheap. So, we are back to the "warm" white (2800K) bulbs and never turn up the power to 100%.
I tried playing with dimmer but it did not impact flicker much. Why "be careful" though? Is there a potential for an electric issue or just the nuisance of the flicker?

I agree with your wife in many situations, but in the formal dining room, which we use only for holidays, the bright white does not look right when you have the Turkey and garlands out.

I guess I will have to look into those bulbs you mention. FWIW, how do you select the color temp on them?

The color temperature selection is on the "ballast" (I don't know what that thing is actually called). So it's not terribly easy to change. But the point is you can change it to match whimsies. Ha. When the turkey and garlands come out, I guess you'll be climbing up and dropping it to 2700K.

Otherwise it's 5000K.

I personally like these night light halo rings so you can get light and it's not too harsh (eg movies or night-time). Kids like it too since they are cool circles. The night light ring is always a very soft yellow, the ring cannot be set to 5000K. And both the main light or ring is fully dimmable with Lutron smart-home or regular "Diva" dimmers.

The Philips Hue where you can change the color temperature on the app is good too. But those are like... super expensive. If you're @Redhill_qik with 500 LED lights, that'd be like $40,000 in LED lights.

Be careful with the chandeliers and bulb temperature. We installed a LED fixture with lower temp (2800K) "Edison" bulb for a warmer glow. They look great but if you turn the power up close to 100% they start flickering and then shutdown for seconds at a time. We asked the electrician about it, and he said it is a function of the bulb color temperature. I replaced the bulb with higher temperature (5500K) bulbs and the flicker went away. But the bright white light looked cheap. So, we are back to the "warm" white (2800K) bulbs and never turn up the power to 100%.
Are they on a rheostat?
I'd try a standard switch and see if it flickers with that at full power.
Could be the rheostat not made for LEDs I had some that I just replace with either a switch or a newer rheostat for LEDs.

Are they on a rheostat?
I'd try a standard switch and see if it flickers with that at full power.
Could be the rheostat not made for LEDs I had some that I just replace with either a switch or a newer rheostat for LEDs.
For mine, I had purchased a LED dimmer switch and the LED bulbs flickered (on an old dining room chandelier). No issued prior to switching the bulbs to LED.

Interesting. Are they color changing? How many bulbs.

I just went down to check mine. have 12 bulbs, not color changeable on dimmer. No flicker on the full range of dimming.

Also consider the quality of dimmer. I initially bought some el-cheapo ones (Amazon Trash and Legrand) and they sucked. Upgraded to Lutron Diva (normal model and Caseta smart-home version of the Diva) and they're rock solid.

For example, those thin recessed lights I linked above are suggested compatible with LUTRON DVCL-153PR, CTCL-153PH and LEVITON: R62-06674-POW. They don't work right when paired with some ghetto dimmer.

Also remember normal dimmers only support around 150 watts of LED draw. That cap is usually reached around 10 normal LED lights (13 to 15 watts each). If your fancy chandelier has a ton of bulbs... or if you're @Redhill_qik with 5,000 LEDs, that means you'll probably need the specialty 250watt or more ultra-fancy dimmers.

You can see the 250w version is like 2x the cost of the 150w version...

Basically don't cheap out on the dimmer.

Leviton Decora. And it's 5 bulbs, not 7.

If you're near a Home Depot, give the Lutron Diva a try. I still have some Leviton "big azz slider" style dimmers on some lights, but I've removed almost all of them from my house since they tended to cause flickering. I know some people really like the huge dimmer slider, so maybe they'll hate the Diva. Can't win them all I guess.

If you're near a Home Depot, give the Lutron Diva a try. I still have some Leviton "big azz slider" style dimmers on some lights, but I've removed almost all of them from my house since they tended to cause flickering. I know some people really like the huge dimmer slider, so maybe they'll hate the Diva. Can't win them all I guess.
Might try a Kasa smart dimmer first. Should have an extra one laying around.

Might try a Kasa smart dimmer first. Should have an extra one laying around.
Before you do that, try a larger incandescent bulb or something that fits but has more wattage and see if that helps as a test. I had some locations where it was not enough wattage on that dimmer. If that solves the issue, then decide which way to go, a different dimmer if you must.
I have one location with 3 decorative lights, about 10W or less but dimmer would not work all the way off no matter what and wanted dimming so I used a larger wattage bulb; now it works.

Before you do that, try a larger incandescent bulb or something that fits but has more wattage and see if that helps as a test. I had some locations where it was not enough wattage on that dimmer. If that solves the issue, then decide which way to go, a different dimmer if you must.
I have one location with 3 decorative lights, about 10W or less but dimmer would not work all the way off no matter what and wanted dimming so I used a larger wattage bulb; now it works.
The chandelier used to have incandescent bulbs and we never had an issue with flickering. Once we switched to LEDs, the issue started. I changed out the dimmer switch for the Leviton LED one hoping that would have fixed it.

I've been wanting to replace the chandelier for a while and this may prompt me to do so as I didn't have a Kasa dimmer laying around.

Reactions: jboy210
I have Lutron Caseta and Maestro dimmers with Feit decorative LED chandelier bulbs from Home Depot in various places throughout the house. They dim will and no buzzing. Also they come in 3000K color temp, it's a good balance between too red/yellow of 2700K and too blue of 5000K.

Used to have lots of annoying and loud buzzing with older ecosmart bulbs.

The Feit flood light bulbs from HD also work well in can lights. No buzzing or flickering. Ecosmart and CREE bulbs are the worst, they buzz like crazy.